The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 08, 2019, 08:57:17 PM
Today just boring. Once this week 80 in a 40 zone.
80 in a 40?!  Since when do you live so close to the edge?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

Stretched the legs of my mom's Cruze hatchback yesterday & hit 100. Not hard at 8 am on Sunday morning.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 23, 2019, 10:20:36 AM
Stretched the legs of my mom's Cruze hatchback yesterday & hit 100. Not hard at 8 am on Sunday morning.

:rockon:  Fun!

When I think back on my best driving experiences, most of them have been on Sunday mornings.  My last trip home from Boston, and 2 before that, took place early on Sunday morning and I set records for the time it took me to get home.

A long while back, I had a pool phenomenal drive on Sunday morning from just north of DC up to Connecticut.   And last year, I had a great drive on a Sunday morning down the NYS Thruway from Albany, NY.  I typically don't hit 100 but I hit 95 on those trips.  I also like to be able to maintain high speed for a good distance- 90-95.  It's a great natural high.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

cawimmer430

Picked up my sister from the airport and then sped down to Mühldorf am Inn. Maximum I hit today was 220 km/h, after that the rain became too strong and the visibility was terrible.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 24, 2019, 02:20:48 PM
Picked up my sister from the airport and then sped down to Mühldorf am Inn. Maximum I hit today was 220 km/h, after that the rain became too strong and the visibility was terrible.

I don't think I've ever driven that fast.  It must be a lot of fun!

giant_mtb

I think the fastest I ever went in the A4 was around 110 for a brief period.  It liked it. 

Other than that...I don't speed ever, especially these days. Taco is no high speed machine. When I went out west fully loaded with dirtbike and a week's worth of gear, those 80mph speed limits were not its friend, especially when it came to gas mileage. Could basically watch the fuel gauge go down in real time. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 24, 2019, 03:11:33 PM
I think the fastest I ever went in the A4 was around 110 for a brief period.  It liked it. 

Other than that...I don't speed ever, especially these days. Taco is no high speed machine. When I went out west fully loaded with dirtbike and a week's worth of gear, those 80mph speed limits were not its friend, especially when it came to gas mileage. Could basically watch the fuel gauge go down in real time. :lol:

My top speed has also only been around 110 mph, very briefly.   I speed a lot when I can, but that's usually anywhere from 75-95 mph, depending on circumstances.

CaminoRacer

143 is still my top and I don't think I'll match that for a long time, unless I go to a track day

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on December 24, 2019, 03:04:02 PM

That's only about 130 in freedom units.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 26, 2019, 11:27:31 AM
That's only about 130 in freedom units.

I thought it was faster than that.  Still, I have never hit 130 while driving though I was in the car once when it hit 140.

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on December 24, 2019, 03:04:02 PM

It depends on the car and the traffic conditions. My car? No problem, it's well planted and stable. On an empty Autobahn, yes, but on one with medium traffic it's dangerous because there are so many fucking morons around these days who will simply pull out in front of you. The quality of drivers has gone down here, big time. Even when I am cruising at a slow 120-130 km/h, some moron will pull out ahead of you, force you to slow down.

We have a huge problem with Mittelspurschleicher (Center lane hoggers). The Autobahn is essentially one lane on which all cars must drive: the right lane. On a two lane Autobahn the left lane is only for overtaking purposes. On a three lane Autobahn the two left lanes are also only for overtaking purposes. Once you've overtaken the slower car it is expected that you merge back into the right lane. Unfortunately these days we have too many fucking morons (they piss me off so much) who hog the center lanes despite the right lane being empty. The other morons who trail the morons on the center lane are a huge danger to rear-coming traffic. These are the idiots that will suddenly pull out in front of you because they're simply idiots who underestimate your speed or simply don't look. Worse, once they're on the left lane, they take their sweet fucking time overtaking the slower car on the middle lane. This happened to me yesterday, some moron pulled out ahead of me at around 110 km/h to overtake some dumbass on the center lane who was cruising at 100 km/h. I had to slow down from around 140-150 km/h and wait "forever" for them to overtaken. Behind me was nobody, so they could have let me pass and then taken their sweet time to overtake the slower car... I'm telling you, there are so many moron drivers here now. And they are definitely the pussies who are calling for speed limits, because their driving skills are crap.  :facepalm:

Video on "center lane hoggers" and why they are dangerous...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEXFb7hiJM

So yesterday I hit 230 km/h (144 mph) while driving back to Munich. Then backed off and cruised most of the way at a relaxing 150 km/h (94 mph).

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: dazzleman on December 23, 2019, 06:47:53 AM
80 in a 40?!  Since when do you live so close to the edge?

Scrappy likes to go fast.  :huh:

Hit 90mph yesterday on the beltway in Odyssey. Very very light traffic, everyone was moving pretty well (around 70mph), speed limit is 55mph.

Will

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 27, 2019, 10:03:35 AM
Scrappy likes to go fast.  :huh:

Hit 90mph yesterday on the beltway in Odyssey. Very very light traffic, everyone was moving pretty well (around 70mph), speed limit is 55mph.

You're getting pretty badass....I love it man!  :rockon:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: dazzleman on December 28, 2019, 03:19:01 AM
You're getting pretty badass....I love it man!  :rockon:

LOL

Don't see any speed traps in my usual drives, knock on wood. 
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 29, 2019, 06:38:28 PM
LOL

Don't see any speed traps in my usual drives, knock on wood.

I'm actually a little surprised that you are exhibiting such badass behavior.  What is motivating it all of a sudden?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: dazzleman on December 29, 2019, 06:58:12 PM
I'm actually a little surprised that you are exhibiting such badass behavior.  What is motivating it all of a sudden?

Driving the Miata at 10mph over (my usual in this area) just seems sooooo slooooow.

But then I read the other day 20mph over can be reckless driving ticket so I'll probably need to tone it down some.
Will

giant_mtb

Yeah. You can lose your license with a reckless.

cawimmer430

So yesterday I had a business meeting 120 km out of Munich. Spent about 100 km on the Autobahn and cruised between 150-170 km/h (93-105-mph) for most of the way on the empty highway. A few times I had to slow down and accelerate again because of morons/trucks who pulled out in front of me and took their frigging time to overtake (it was a two lane Autobahn). My fuel economy was actually in the mid 8s, but thanks to these slow-downs and accelerations I ended up at 9.1 L / 100 km - 25.8 mpg. Not bad for such sustained high speed cruising. Below you can see my fuel economy after 100 km, 55 minutes of driving and an average speed of 108 km/h. I took this shot right after coming off from the Autobahn.

Then on the way home I was able to cruise at a sustained 160 km/h (100 mph). Fuel economy at that moment was 8.7 L / 100 km (27 mpg), and it got better once I neared Munich: 8.4 L / 100 km (28 mpg). These are really great figures considering my car was loaded up with my gear and these relatively high cruising speeds.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Perfect Symmetry (speedometer and RPM).  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

115 in Fiesta today. Phuk yo speedlimmit
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

AutobahnSHO

I was a little surprised to see this on a 2lane highway in SE Wyoming. When you hit the Utah border though it changes to 55mph LOL.

You cannot view this attachment.
Will

CALL_911

130 mph. Had a wide empty stretch of northway. The B58 is such a gem of a motor

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I gotta drive out near the salt flats or southern Utah sometime to peg the needle