2018 Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT

Started by VTEC_Inside, August 21, 2020, 09:54:44 AM

VTEC_Inside

Time for my annual post.

Backstory

My CSX is starting to show is age in the form of shitty factory clear coat and of course rust. Time for something new...

I was looking at 2016-2018 Civic LX 6MTs initially as they are essentially the same engine with a 6spd. I did take one for a test drive and liked it quite a bit, really impressed actually at the fact that you really can go pick up a 3yr old car for $15k CAD that is quite nice.

Alas, snowball syndrome. Then I changed it up to 2017 LX Hatchbacks since they at least came with alloys, and the 1.5T was a bonus.

Enter the Accord.

While looking for Civics, I would occasionally filter on all manual Hondas in the area. This Blue 2.0T Sport 6MT popped up, private sale, sick color, detuned Type R engine, droool... Alas, I had long written off Accords as even the Civic has swollen over the years to the point where I think its a bit big. I ignored it for a couple weeks, not being in any hurry. Then it showed up at a Kia dealer closer to me, it had to be the same car as it was same mileage, color, 6MT, etc..

At this point I had snowballed up to Si's which are going for $22K CAD, this Accord was barely $3k more, and really, still not really that desirable to me.

I went and took it for a drive anyway and despite it looking f'in awesome, and in generally being a really clean car for a 2yr old, I still wasn't sold. I like power, and it has that in spades, but it's all but useless in 1st and 2nd in a FWD car. Without TC, you'd go nowhere. I was primarily concerned with how "tossable" the car felt, and on that first drive I really couldn't draw a conclusion either way, crediting at least part of that to not having set a correct seating position. I wasn't turned off enough to not put in an offer on it though, figuring that Eibach had me covered there just in case :) They shot down that offer.

After a couple days I put in another slightly higher offer which they bit on. I went to take it for another test drive to be sure. This time I focused on getting my seat and steering wheel positioned well. I usually run through a particular series of corners on my test drive loop. On the first drive I concluded that I had simply tried to drive it like my CSX, a car with half the HP and around half the Torque as well. Driven with a little more respect for the power output the car proved to be sufficiently playful so I signed on the non-dotted line.

Quasi Review

I've had the car since Tuesday night now. I've never owned a car that I would just stare at before this one. I dunno if its the blue pearl, the aggressive nose, the "jewel eye" headlights/foglights, the 40 profile rubber on 19s ($$$$), or what, but it just looks f'in sick to me.

The power is obscene. It requires a whole different approach for me as it really does have double the torque of anything I've ever owned. Despite having that 4cyl sound, I can easily understand that it was intended to replace the V6 in the line up. There is but an instant of turbo lag, which almost seems electronically engineered to always feel exactly the same despite the revs, the pedal feel vs response is very consistent. It is a large departure considering I have always equated fun with wringing the necks of my little 4cyls, as doing that in this thing means you are seriously moving in a hurry.

It is a very quiet and smooth ride. Almost too much so. Once moving there is no indication that its a 4cyl. A nitpick is that the clutch pedal is quite near the top of the pedal travel, I found it difficult to position the seat such as to make it easy to modulate smoothly up that high. Coming from a smaller car, I can't help but feel as if I'm sitting IN the car, rather than being a more integral part of it. Given the minor revelations I've had related to seat position I feel this will pass, but the ridiculously high door sills (thanks safety nazis), don't help. The shift throws are maybe a hair long, most noticeable on the horizontal when going to 5-6-R, but the gearing is spaced out nicely. The brakes are very bity coming from my CSX, not so much when I went from my RSX, but I attribute that at least somewhat to the large rotor diameters.

Onto the most difficult one to put my finger on, the handling. This thing is almost 400lbs heavier than either the CSX or RSX, but it is riding on 30mm wider tires all around on next to no sidewall. It also has that dreaded "Agile Handling Assist" that will apply either of the front brakes to keep you going where you intended. Yes, I have already tested that system lol. It's not even that it's bad, but your brain says that it shouldn't feel like this, but it does. I account for understeer, but there isn't any, its very weird to me. Turn in may be a little weak, but I have larger rear sways on the CSX and RSX. The RSX was f'in horrible for this before the larger rear bar. I need to drive it a bit more before making an Eibach order as I do not believe Honda makes a larger bar for the platform, I'd have to check the Type R one.

For slower corners, I think its the same thing that bugs me a little about the gfs 2019 Civic Hatch, the windows are small, so I really don't see as much as I'm used to even if the car will handle the corner exactly the same. I don't know that this is something you can avoid with any car these days.

The remainder comes back to the power, I'm so used to braking into, then powering out of corners, with an almost muscle memory amount of throttle position. I simply can not do that in this car. Not because it won't do it, but because I'm getting the same thrust out of what feels like a 1/8 of the amount of pedal travel. I turned onto a street Wed morning that I had done in the CSX on Tuesday morning. On Tues, I turned, floored it, maybe hit 80kph and continued while coasting back to 70ish. On Wed, I turned, maybe got half to 3/4 pedal, and was already doing 80kph with the estimate that I could have hit 150kph before the train tracks (vs a purely hypothetical 120kph in the CSX).

Anyway, enough talking

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Xer0

Nice choice, keeping the manuals alive!  I think Honda is getting rid of the stick for 2021 so you've just gotten a last of its kind unicorn!

I think the new Accord looks fantastic from every front facing angle but a little awkward in the rear.  My dad has a 1.5T Sport and yeah, those wheels are a bit overkill but look great.  Its definitely a big car.  I'm like you in that when I drive his car, coming from a '13 Si, it feels a bit uncomfortable because of how enormous it is in comparison.  Its a great car though and I hope it gives you years and years and years of trouble free running!

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

I kinda want one for highway cruising. Seems like a great roadtrip car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Love it.  Big car road manners on the highway make up for their demerits on twisty local roads.  At least that's always been the case for me. 

Eye of the Tiger

Good annual post. I expect the next one to be even better.  :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Xer0 on August 21, 2020, 10:10:06 AM
Nice choice, keeping the manuals alive!  I think Honda is getting rid of the stick for 2021 so you've just gotten a last of its kind unicorn!

I think the new Accord looks fantastic from every front facing angle but a little awkward in the rear.  My dad has a 1.5T Sport and yeah, those wheels are a bit overkill but look great.  Its definitely a big car.  I'm like you in that when I drive his car, coming from a '13 Si, it feels a bit uncomfortable because of how enormous it is in comparison.  Its a great car though and I hope it gives you years and years and years of trouble free running!

The automatic is surely faster, but f that shit. The scary part is that I've already had the thought that the manual probably doesn't offer a whole lot in this car as the torque and extra 4 gears of the auto would surely mean its just as, if not more, responsive than the manual. Is it an age thing, will I still care about manual transmissions when this thing is due for replacement? Say it isn't so... In 10 years time I may finally swap the RSX for a Cayman GTS or GT4, but I think I'd want a PDK in something like even now, so... le sigh....

As you said 2020 is last year for manual Accords of this gen, who knows if they come back for the next one.

Limiting my comparison to a 2016+ Civic, which was going to be what I would have got otherwise. It is dimensionaly within 2 inches in all but wheelbase (+5"), overall length (14" :eek:), an of course the extra 400lbs. Parking it right next to the gfs 2019 Hatchback it doesn't appear to be much bigger either, I'm sure there is some optical shit going on that makes it seem like it is more than the 14".

Thing will cruise all day at 150kph+ though (so I'm told), and there is a definite step up in ride quality over the Civic. As it was intended to replace the CSX I have no doubt it can match that cars handling performance, if not exceed it, it just feels different doing it. Just means I have to drive the RSX if I'm after the really tossable feeling. The CSX was really kinda close to the RSX in moderate handling feel, I kinda neglected drive the RSX a lot because the CSX was at least 8/10 as fun with less speeding ticket risk.

It only has 35k kms on it so I still have full warranty till next June even, not that it was a concern but..

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2020, 10:10:09 AM
Looks great.  Love the colour.

Yeah, I have a tough time looking away. The pearl in the sun makes it look purple, light blue, dark blue, etc.. its awesome.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 21, 2020, 10:12:02 AM
I kinda want one for highway cruising. Seems like a great roadtrip car.
You would not go wrong, it effortlessly hums along at 150kph+ (so I'm told). Its exceptionally smooth and quiet. At speed you'd swear you were driving one of the prev gen V6s, except I'd argue this is a bit quieter still.

I recall scoffing that this engine was intended to replace the V6 in the line up, and other than the sound of the 4 when accelerating, the rest of the experience absolutely reminds me of those cars.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2020, 10:50:36 AM
Good annual post. I expect the next one to be even better.  :devil:

Lol. "So I found a Type R turbo and LSD cheap"... or "Made it a week without a ticket"... I'm particularly concerned with tickets as the speedo climbs so effortlessly. I think that's one of the buzzkill components, you really can't stand on it for any length of time without leaving the speed limit a long ways back. I doubt I'll ever match C&D's 0-60, but 5.5s?? Its a full 10mph faster in the quarter than my RSX. She quick.

Speed_Racer

Nice! You're not the only one - it is a drop dead sexy sedan when in that blue or the red.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 21, 2020, 11:18:20 AM
Lol. "So I found a Type R turbo and LSD cheap"... or "Made it a week without a ticket"... I'm particularly concerned with tickets as the speedo climbs so effortlessly. I think that's one of the buzzkill components, you really can't stand on it for any length of time without leaving the speed limit a long ways back. I doubt I'll ever match C&D's 0-60, but 5.5s?? Its a full 10mph faster in the quarter than my RSX. She quick.

Yeah, that's why like to I stay around the 16 second 1/4 mile. I can't resist using the full capability of a vehicle.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2020, 11:51:33 AM
Yeah, that's why like to I stay around the 16 second 1/4 mile. I can't resist using the full capability of a vehicle.

I tried explaining this to a co-worker. He didn't get it. Fast or not there is something psychologically fun about flooring it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 21, 2020, 01:12:19 PM
I tried explaining this to a co-worker. He didn't get it. Fast or not there is something psychologically fun about flooring it.

I like to abuse machines, perhaps, so I can fix them ... :huh:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2020, 01:37:15 PM
I like to abuse machines, perhaps, so I can fix them ... :huh:
It's the wear and tear that bothers me.  It's not really broken, but you know that everything's getting a bit loose.

However, I understand the feeling perfectly.  Every time I got in my Sunbeam Tiger Mk. II, I just couldn't help myself.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

2o6

I like these! Congrats!

Civics really are solid all-rounder compacts. This Accord is just basically a long Civic.

AutobahnSHO

Lovely unicorn!!!  :thumbsup:

Hope it's not too hard to stay out of trouble! :lol:
Will

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Absolutely sweet ride. The color and wheel choices make it look really sharp. Congrats!  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

VTEC_Inside

Eibach rear bar ordered :)

I've taken to driving with Eco mode on. That still didn't prevent me from hitting 100kph in a 60kph earlier. Granted I had done close to that in the CSX at least once on that stretch, but that was a conscious effort, this was more of a f that guy and boot around. It's hilarious and boring at the same time, first world problems...

veeman

Never drive with Eco mode.  Why blunt proper gear shifts?   :lol:

VTEC_Inside

Well the fella in the supercharged V8 Landrover might think twice next time he tries to light jump an accord.

FoMoJo

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 29, 2020, 11:40:23 AM
Well the fella in the supercharged V8 Landrover might think twice next time he tries to light jump an accord.
Drag race?

Laconian

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 29, 2020, 11:40:23 AM

:rockon:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 29, 2020, 11:44:49 AM
Drag race?

Young guy in daddy's Range Rover. Came up fast and stopped a bit ahead of me at a light. He was going to have to get back over due to parked cars.

I bogged pretty bad in 1st, and backed out of it to avoid a stall. I then got moving and floored it, wheel hopped into second with what felt like just the front right. It was downright horrible driving on my part, but as nice as that V8 sounded, he didn't even get a hood length on me the whole time.

I'm siding with veeman, had I not been in Eco I may not have bogged off the line. Clutch takeup is quite aggressive though, guess it has to be to hold that amount of torque.

Eye of the Tiger

Need drag radials up front, and some stiff motor mounts. :devil:

FoMoJo

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 29, 2020, 12:16:13 PM
Young guy in daddy's Range Rover. Came up fast and stopped a bit ahead of me at a light. He was going to have to get back over due to parked cars.

I bogged pretty bad in 1st, and backed out of it to avoid a stall. I then got moving and floored it, wheel hopped into second with what felt like just the front right. It was downright horrible driving on my part, but as nice as that V8 sounded, he didn't even get a hood length on me the whole time.

I'm siding with veeman, had I not been in Eco I may not have bogged off the line. Clutch takeup is quite aggressive though, guess it has to be to hold that amount of torque.
The way to avoid bogging is to floor it and then drop the clutch.  It might smell a bit and you might notice a bit of smoke, but it won't bog.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 29, 2020, 01:27:06 PM
The way to avoid bogging is to floor it and then drop the clutch.  It might smell a bit and you might notice a bit of smoke, but it won't bog.

Lol.. would also be sure to already be making boost that way..

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 29, 2020, 01:27:06 PM

You'd also improve your clutch changing skills if you do it a lot...  :confused:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 29, 2020, 07:06:31 PM
You'd also improve your clutch changing skills if you do it a lot...  :confused:

Or install a three puck racing clutch, never worry about the clutch again, but get good at changing motor mounts.