2018 Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT

Started by VTEC_Inside, August 21, 2020, 09:54:44 AM

VTEC_Inside

Did a 60-100 race against my bosses M2. It really wasn't formal, I did the whole thing in 3rd, but it was enough to stay ahead of the M2 struggling for traction. My boss didn't want to talk about it lol..
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on September 18, 2020, 07:49:29 PM
Did a 60-100 race against my bosses M2. It really wasn't formal, I did the whole thing in 3rd, but it was enough to stay ahead of the M2 struggling for traction. My boss didn't want to talk about it lol..

:thumbsup:
Will

MrH

Congrats on the buy!

What're your thoughts on the seats?  That was ultimately the deal breaker on mine.  Months of back issues led to me getting rid of it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: MrH on September 21, 2020, 08:58:57 AM
Congrats on the buy!

What're your thoughts on the seats?  That was ultimately the deal breaker on mine.  Months of back issues led to me getting rid of it.

There is nothing that jumps out at me in terms of comfort, but my longest drive was probably 45min the day I picked it up.

I have found it incredibly difficult to figure out a good position/angle/etc though. I thought I had it nailed but changed it again just last week. Most of that is down to the clutch throw being kinda long and engaging damn near the top of the travel. I've got the lumbar backed right off, the side bolsters are not very deep and being leather covered I felt as though they weren't even there with the lumbar pushing me off of them.

VTEC_Inside

Figured I'd give an update thus far since I'm here.

I've gotten much more used to the power delivery and what constitutes appropriate use of the loud pedal for civil driving. 3rd gear is really all you need as its good from 40-120kph with healthy thrust no matter the speed. The clutch travel can still be annoying but I have gotten more used to it and smooth shifts are much more common now. The shift throws don't strike me as particularly long when I'm in the car, but having driven the CSX again on the weekend, the distance between the gates at least left to right is considerably greater.

I've been pushing it in the handling dept a little more as well, and I really have no complaints at all, but I am still eagerly waiting on my friggin sway bar. The brakes are quite strong, as they kinda need to be given how fast it will gain speed. I do wonder how they would fair during repeated hard use, mainly back to the ability of the car to gain speed and the requirement to scrub off all that energy.

To that end, visibility is kinda shit, at least up close. Raising the drivers seat just a hair helped a lot (though I did that for another reason), but the windows are all very small. This is particularly noticeable getting drive through food. I find the same thing on the gfs 2019 Civic as well. It doesn't help that the Accord is slightly larger overall, I've found myself kinda nervous navigating tighter spaces with it, especially since there is so little sidewall I'd be sure to rash a rim if I got close to anything.

With all the controls adjusted the way I like I get screwed out of seeing the majority of the tach, I have the same issue on the RSX, but not as bad. Given how much of the guage cluster is screen I feel that they could have done more with the center area that never really shows anything but the posted speed limits. The radio needs the folder skip and a folder back button for MP3s. Its a pain to have to click through 3-4 levels to get back to where you were to change to the next folder. The radio does absolutely pound though, no complaints at all there except for the sub induced rattles I've all but chased down now.

One other nitpick I have is the climate controls. They are spread out across the width of the center console. I can't recall the knob/button in the way, but the defrost and one other button is on the passenger side of the console, and at least the way I sit, its not a clearly visible button. Same goes for the drivers heated seat, its behind the steering wheel from my perspective.

Couple suggestions I would make for the "Sport" model:
- Tighter gates on the shifter. Lets face it, if you bought this car, its for a reason. Why they didn't just lift the mechanism out of the Type R or Si, I dunno. I would care less if you didn't have to take apart so much to install the short throw adapters.
- A bit more aggressive exhaust note (or intake). I've caught myself looking at the tach at least once now because I really couldn't tell what it was revving by sound/feel.
- A bit more aggressive suspension setup, and I'm talking a hair here.
- A boost guage? Shift lights? Really there is a LOT of screen, call it hooligan mode or something.

Overall I wouldn't kick it out of bed. It might just be the best looking car I've ever owned IMO. I'll be down to this and the RSX soon enough, I hope. The RSX is still an absolute riot, I think the Accord is just as fun for a host of different reasons.

Laconian

OT, but I think you have the last RSX on Earth. I think other RSXen have died early deaths by modding. I haven't seen one in years!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Laconian on September 21, 2020, 12:14:26 PM
OT, but I think you have the last RSX on Earth. I think other RSXen have died early deaths by modding. I haven't seen one in years!

I think you'd be right. Only 4 years of them though, and I think 2006 sales were probably pretty light as the Si was then available and arguably the better car if not for the LSD and taller 6th gear alone. My thinking is a lot of them had their engines harvested for other cars and the shells just got scrapped. Without that engine the car is just meh, as they found out when the went to the 2.4L and sales tanked.

Laconian

They were pretty popular cars in their heyday, but they vanished so quickly. And I know it wasn't due to reliability, since contemporary Honda products can still be seen driving around happily (esp. MDX, Accord, CR-V)

MX793

Turbochargers inherently muffle engine noises, both intake/induction and exhaust.  That's how turbocharged vehicles like the Fiat 500 Abarth and the old Neon SRT4 can get away with not having any exhaust mufflers at all and still be compliant to noise ordinances.  That's why BMW and others using ubiquitous 2.0T engines, or turbos in general, have to play fake engine noise over the speakers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

All RSXs I see have been modded and rusted to hell.  I haven't seen a clean one and years.  I still have a soft spot in my heart for them.  Love the way they look, both interior and exterior.  I always dreamed to get one as my first car.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on September 21, 2020, 04:15:23 PM
All RSXs I see have been modded and rusted to hell.  I haven't seen a clean one and years.  I still have a soft spot in my heart for them.  Love the way they look, both interior and exterior.  I always dreamed to get one as my first car.

Same, it was an aspirational car to me during my college years.

(Miata won my heart though, plus they were less than half the price at the time)

MX793

I saw a reasonably clean RSX in the neighborhood not too long ago.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

RSX was one of my favorite cars at the time.

I think I'd like an early Integra more at this point, due to nostalgia from my parents having one. Not sure which is harder to find.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

I think all the RSXs got stolen and/or wrecked???
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 21, 2020, 07:18:36 PM
I think all the RSXs got stolen and/or wrecked???

I was following one today on my scooter. It had a fart cannon and was packed full of kids.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on September 21, 2020, 04:15:23 PM

You're in Ohio.

Clean ones can be found out west.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 22, 2020, 04:32:37 AM
You're in Ohio.

Clean ones can be found out west.

I don't love them that much :lol:

It's one of those cars, I kind of wish they'd dig the tooling out of storage and start making again.  I know that's not a feasible thing, but some cars I wish you could just buy new and cheap, even if they're outdated.  The original IS300 and R53 Mini come to mind.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on September 22, 2020, 07:40:20 AM
I don't love them that much :lol:

It's one of those cars, I kind of wish they'd dig the tooling out of storage and start making again.  I know that's not a feasible thing, but some cars I wish you could just buy new and cheap, even if they're outdated.  The original IS300 and R53 Mini come to mind.

Who knows? Maybe China or India will start making them...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator