The most mainstream of them all?

Started by Speed_Racer, August 21, 2020, 12:14:57 PM

Speed_Racer

GF has been on the hunt for something newer to replace her Mazda3. After four yrs & 50k miles she was over it. She was close to purchasing a CPO CX5 but her company told her to hold off, then they surprised her with this. 2020 Corolla LE. She's a Mazda girl so she's sad to miss out on the CX5, but of course the best car is a free car so she's very grateful. We will miss the versatility of her hatchback - we've hauled plenty in it. And unfortunately we now have two sedans in the household so next year I'll probably start hunting for something more versatile to balance out the garage once the used car market returns to normal.

Pros:
Lots of tech is now standard: radar cruise, sign reading, lane keeping, auto headlights & high beams. But she loves the brake hold feature the most.

Cons:
Buzzy engine with the CVT, missing some common sense features: why no smart key, light in the glove box, or a grab handle for closing the trunk? I smack my knee on the corner of the dashboard everytime I get in the passenger side too.

Hello:

Goodbye. Honestly aside from the versatility, I won't miss this. It was sloooow, noisy, and has the worst clutch takeup I've ever experienced:

veeman

That's great her company bought her a new car. 

Consciously/subconsciously I'd be a bit peeved that they bought me a car without asking what kind I want.  It would be so much better if they just gave her the money and let her choose what kind she wanted. Even if they had some sort of deal with a particular dealership or company, she should be able to pick what model she wanted or have a certain amount of money put down towards whatever model she wanted. 

I know it's looking a gift horse in the mouth but I just don't like people deciding stuff for me.   :lol:

Congrats on her new car though ;)

Speed_Racer

Yeah she was a bit bummed. She was hoping to buy herself something a bit more entry-level luxury as a way to treat herself. She's at least thankful it has some of the driving tech she wanted in her next car. Radar cruise is going to be real nice as she out zig-zagging the valley for work.

2o6

Oh it's base, base! It's got the 1.8L.

Still, these are generally nice cars. I might buy a hatchback one.

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 21, 2020, 11:19:57 PM
Yeah she was a bit bummed. She was hoping to buy herself something a bit more entry-level luxury as a way to treat herself. She's at least thankful it has some of the driving tech she wanted in her next car. Radar cruise is going to be real nice as she out zig-zagging the valley for work.

My experience with radar cruise is that it makes cutting through highway traffic while on cruise more work.  You are constantly intervening to over-ride the cruise.  Or just slowing down to match the pack without realizing it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 21, 2020, 11:19:57 PM

I flipping hate radar cruise. But I also love it. People can't maintain speeds for shit no matter where you go. I wear the heck out of my +/- buttons.

And is that the CVT with the straight low gear for quick take offs?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

I love radar cruise since most of the time I just want to stick in 1 lane and cruise, without fiddling with the cruise control speed constantly because people can't drive at a steady speed
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 22, 2020, 08:12:33 AM
I flipping hate radar cruise. But I also love it. People can't maintain speeds for shit no matter where you go. I wear the heck out of my +/- buttons.

And is that the CVT with the straight low gear for quick take offs?

That's my pet peeve as well - we have a ton of construction so I barely use cruise in my car lately because of traffic speeds being all over the place.

And no, the CVT with the 1st gear is on higher trims w/ the newer 2.0L engine. This has the older 139hp w/ the normal CVT.

Side note, I just sold the Mazda within 24 hrs having posted it for sale. Not bad.

AutobahnSHO

cool though, when you need a dependable work horse, that should do it!
Will

Speed_Racer

Three-ish month update. TL:DR - do not recommend.

Pros:

• Radar cruise still rules and the full stop feature is nice but it's very slow to take off from a stop, I usually end up punching the gas to override it because people need to get thru the intersection.
  • Good gas mileage, my GF is averaging low 30s in mixed
  • That's it.
Cons:

• This thing is a penalty box. It'll run forever and you'll hate every minute.
  • Seats are very uncomfortable. I cannot emphasize this enough. An hour and I'm done. She is using an inflatable camping pillow as lumbar support to ease the lower back pain. They must have used a human-sized banana as the test subject because that's what your spine looks like when you get out. Negative lumbar + the headrest is angled too far forward.
  • Lane keep "assist" ping pongs you in the lane then yells at you to keep your hands on the steering wheel. STFU car.
  • Noisy engine, slow, rough ride.
  • I swear if I smack my knee on this one more time I'm sawing it off. It sticks out SO FAR

Eye of the Tiger

Speed_Racer

Hard no haha. Compact competition gets better every year, and it feels like Toyota is punishing us for not springing for a higher trim or jumping to the Camry.

Rich

My 2011 Mustang had the same dashboard 'feature'.  I HATED it.  Radar cruise sounds nice, I don't think I'd use it anywhere other than highway traffic though.  I've also had the banana problem with most modern seats.  I just want to be cupped around my lower back just below my shoulder blades that's it really.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 09, 2020, 10:54:52 AM
Hard no haha. Compact competition gets better every year, and it feels like Toyota is punishing us for not springing for a higher trim or jumping to the Camry.

Sounds worse than a Yaris, which isn't really bad at all.

Laconian

I thought the buzz was really positive for the current gen Corolla. Huh
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Quote from: Rich on December 09, 2020, 03:02:16 PM
My 2011 Mustang had the same dashboard 'feature'.  I HATED it.  Radar cruise sounds nice, I don't think I'd use it anywhere other than highway traffic though.  I've also had the banana problem with most modern seats.  I just want to be cupped around my lower back just below my shoulder blades that's it really.

My Focus is really bad on the knees too.

cawimmer430

Had the same issue when I checked out a European-spec Toyota Auris Hatchback a few years ago. I had no intention of buying it, but I just wanted to see what it was like. That interior was designed for small people, since my 6'4" frame could not get comfortable in it. The driver's seat would not slide all the way back so that my left knee was in constant contact with a part of the dashboard. The interior ergonomics were also a bit funny, nothing logical about the layout.

But hey, so reliable! But will Toyota pay for your knee surgery later on?  :lol: :tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 09, 2020, 10:54:52 AM
You're reminding me of a column I read years ago. The guy's contention was that you should judge a manufacturer based on its low-trim entry-level model. If it's a shitbox, cynicism levels are high and you should avoid the brand.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 15, 2020, 01:37:05 PM
You're reminding me of a column I read years ago. The guy's contention was that you should judge a manufacturer based on its low-trim entry-level model. If it's a shitbox, cynicism levels are high and you should avoid the brand.

I kinda agree.

Look at Honda vs Ford. One has come a long ways the last 40years.

Kia & Hyundai's base offerings now are much better than 10-20years ago.
Will

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 15, 2020, 01:37:05 PM

I think that's a very fair metric. Mazda & VW do a good job with their cheaper models IMO.
Toyota is behind the curve with the majority of their models, but they get a pass with customers and press because of their reliability.

Lebowski

Damn, a free car from work is awesome but that's weird they didn't give her a choice. Or the people I've known with company cars they at least got some choice, ie at least a choice of a sedan vs hatch vs cute ute etc. still, I'd take the free car and not complain, maybe ask for a vehicle allowance instead of a car when it's time to replace (I've never worked for a co that does company cars so not sure how exactly that works).