2021 Toyota Mirai Starts At $49,500 And Offers Up To 402 Miles Of Range

Started by cawimmer430, December 17, 2020, 06:37:39 AM

cawimmer430

2021 Toyota Mirai Starts At $49,500 And Offers Up To 402 Miles Of Range

Toyota has announced the 2021 Mirai will be priced from $49,500 in the United States.

While that's nearly as much as the outgoing Lexus GS, Toyota noted it's a savings of $9,050 compared to the 2020 Mirai.

Customers will also have the option of leasing the entry-level Mirai XLE for $499 a month. Regardless of which route they take, they'll receive up to $15,000 worth of complimentary hydrogen fuel.

The 2021 Mirai is a major improvement over its predecessor and the model comes standard with LED lighting units as well as 19-inch aluminum wheels.

Moving into the cabin, drivers will find an 8-inch digital instrument cluster and a 12.3-inch infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa compatibility. The model also sports a 14-speaker JBL audio system with a subwoofer.

The amenities don't end as there as the Mirai XLE has a power tilt / telescopic steering wheel, a dual-zone automatic climate control system and heated SofTex front seats with 8-way power adjustment on the driver's side. Rounding out the highlights are a wireless smartphone charger, an auto-dimming rearview mirror and a HomeLink universal transceiver.

On the safety front, there's an assortment of driver assistance systems including auto high beam headlights, a blind spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert and a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection. The model also has lane departure alert with steering assist, road sign assist, lane tracing assist and full-speed range dynamic radar cruise control.

If that's not impressive enough, the $1,410 Advanced Technology Package adds a bird's eye view camera, front seat foot illumination and front / rear parking assist with automated braking.

Buyers looking for something more luxurious can upgrade to the Mirai Limited, which starts at $66,000 and can be leased for $549 a month. It has a slightly revised exterior with rain-sensing wipers, a panoramic glass roof and special 19-inch wheels. The model can also be equipped with 20-inch "Super Chrome" wheels for an additional $1,120.

Bigger changes occur in the cabin as the Limited ups the ante in terms of luxury. Among the changes are heated / ventilated front and rear seats, an 8-way power passenger seat and a tri-zone automatic climate control system with a rear touchscreen. The model also features a digital rearview mirror, a power rear sunshade and manual side sunshades for rear seat passengers.

Other niceties include intelligent parking assist, a bird's eye view camera and front / rear parking assist with automated braking.

All Mirais ride on a rear-wheel drive platform and feature a new fuel cell stack that is smaller and lighter than before. The model also has a three hydrogen storage tanks, a 1.24 kWh lithium-ion battery and an electric motor that develops 180 hp (134 kW / 182 PS) and 221 lb-ft (300 Nm) of torque.

This setup enables the car to accelerate from 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) in 9.2 seconds. Toyota also confirmed the model has an EPA-estimated range of up to 402 miles (647 km), but that drops to 357 miles (575 km) in the Limited.

Of course, buying one won't be easy as the 2021 Mirai will only be offered in California.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/12/2021-toyota-mirai-starts-at-49500-and-offers-up-to-402-miles-of-range/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

I don't know what they were going for with that hideous lower grille, but the rest of the car looks great, and has a nice profile. Much better than the hilarious outgoing model.

cawimmer430

So I take it that in eco-crazy California is the only place in the US where there are hydrogen fueling stations?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 18, 2020, 05:02:59 AM
So I take it that in eco-crazy California is the only place in the US where there are hydrogen fueling stations?

The only one I've ever seen was at the Ford Romeo proving grounds- in an old, barely used building marked "jet propulsion lab."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 18, 2020, 05:40:15 AM
The only one I've ever seen was at the Ford Romeo proving grounds- in an old, barely used building marked "jet propulsion lab."

I believe in the 1950s and 1960s the US Air Force was looking into hydrogen-fueled airplanes.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 18, 2020, 07:41:30 AM
Basically

https://calmatters.org/environment/2020/01/why-california-hydrogen-cars-2020/?

Interesting. IIRC in Germany there's currently less than 80 hydrogen fueling stations around.

I actually like the idea of a Fuel Cell car. It's still an EV, but it seems more convenient and above all flexible than a pure BEV, especially in regards to refueling and range.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

So odd because I saw some 1960s land barges outfitted for hydrogen- in the mid 1990s in Argentina. :huh:

They didn't even have to modify them much- just stick the tanks in the giant trunks.
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 24, 2020, 06:44:09 AM
So odd because I saw some 1960s land barges outfitted for hydrogen- in the mid 1990s in Argentina. :huh:

They didn't even have to modify them much- just stick the tanks in the giant trunks.

Must have been compressed hydrogen, which to my knowledge is the "easiest" way to store the stuff.

www.wimmerfotografie.de