The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 29, 2018, 03:04:18 PM
Pressure washing seems to do a decent job of it.

Decent, sure, but you're still gonna be left with a film of road gunk (including salt).

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 29, 2018, 03:30:26 PM
What's a good way of getting rid of salt?

Wash your car like a normal person...with a couple of soapy buckets and a brush or wash mitt.  Touchless simply doesn't come close to an actual contact washing. 

You can hop in the shower and rinse off...but are you as clean as you would be if you also used soap and a loofa to scrub yourself?  Of course not. It's the same with your car. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 29, 2018, 07:42:05 PM
Wash your car like a normal person...with a couple of soapy buckets and a brush or wash mitt.  Touchless simply doesn't come close to an actual contact washing. 

You can hop in the shower and rinse off...but are you as clean as you would be if you also used soap and a loofa to scrub yourself?  Of course not. It's the same with your car. 
How about car washes with their big rotating brushes, do they do the job or do they miss areas?  I'd be concerned about salt, etc. underneath the vehicle.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 30, 2018, 08:14:08 AM
How about car washes with their big rotating brushes, do they do the job or do they miss areas?  I'd be concerned about salt, etc. underneath the vehicle.
Quote from: FoMoJo on December 30, 2018, 08:14:08 AM

Brush car washes will do a far better job than touchless.  However, some people shy away from them because of the possibility that the brushes are dirty and might scratch the paint.  I would never have gone through a brushed car wash with my A4 and its perfect black paint, but with my Taco that has some swirls and scratches already...no problem.  Once or twice each winter I feel lazy and hit the local brushed car wash...it does a great job, IMO.  better than touchless because it actually removes the road film.

If you want an underbody flush, I'd recommend a DIY car wash and pressure washing it underneath yourself so that you can get all the nooks and crannies better than the robot sprayer will.

shp4man

giant_mtb

Lots of truth here.  Some people think ceramics are the end-all be-all of coatings, but they simply don't last as long as they're hyped to, especially in harsh environments, such as wintry places where salt/chemicals and sand are a constant for a good chunk of the year.

For instance, I just detailed a truck today for a (great) customer of mine.  Back in the fall, he asked if I'd apply this ceramic coating (HydroSilex) that he'd picked up.  I said absolutely.  4-5 months later, just as with any wax or sealant I've used in my years detailing, the upper portions of the vehicle were still beading water nicely, but the lower portions that are most exposed to road spray are once again bare clear coat (ie, no water beading).  And this guy is very pro-active about keeping his truck clean.

My dad's truck, same thing.  He picked up a bottle of that TopCoat F11 stuff.  Same story.  Deteriorates just like any other coating.

Multiple coats probably help, but that goes for virtually any wax/sealant/coating.  I'm almost hesitant to start offering ceramic coatings because people have these grandiose expectations, and then I'll be the bad guy when I have to show them videos like this when they complain that their coating didn't last long enough.  Or, at the least, I'll have to explain these types of things to them beforehand so that they understand and can decide whether or not the cost of a ceramic is truly worth it to them.

For a second/third vehicle, I'd say they are better than wax as they'll more than likely last longer on a fair-weather vehicle.  For a DD, though, there isn't anything out there that can get through a midwest winter without deteriorating, especially without proper maintenance.  Like frequent and proper washing, with a recharge to boot.  It's not as simple as "well, the coating is on, so I'm good for a straight year."

https://youtu.be/aGXMeY-jsUw

Anyways, ceramic rant over.  Great products, just not always what people think/expect from the marketing.  But the marketing is certainly why they've exploded in popularity over the last ~5 years. 

giant_mtb

White paint + Winter = Rail Dust ...those little orange specks and, especially on white vehicles, that orange-y tinge of road film that builds up.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 07, 2019, 02:52:19 PM
Lots of truth here.  Some people think ceramics are the end-all be-all of coatings, but they simply don't last as long as they're hyped to, especially in harsh environments, such as wintry places where salt/chemicals and sand are a constant for a good chunk of the year.

For instance, I just detailed a truck today for a (great) customer of mine.  Back in the fall, he asked if I'd apply this ceramic coating (HydroSilex) that he'd picked up.  I said absolutely.  4-5 months later, just as with any wax or sealant I've used in my years detailing, the upper portions of the vehicle were still beading water nicely, but the lower portions that are most exposed to road spray are once again bare clear coat (ie, no water beading).  And this guy is very pro-active about keeping his truck clean.

My dad's truck, same thing.  He picked up a bottle of that TopCoat F11 stuff.  Same story.  Deteriorates just like any other coating.

Multiple coats probably help, but that goes for virtually any wax/sealant/coating.  I'm almost hesitant to start offering ceramic coatings because people have these grandiose expectations, and then I'll be the bad guy when I have to show them videos like this when they complain that their coating didn't last long enough.  Or, at the least, I'll have to explain these types of things to them beforehand so that they understand and can decide whether or not the cost of a ceramic is truly worth it to them.

For a second/third vehicle, I'd say they are better than wax as they'll more than likely last longer on a fair-weather vehicle.  For a DD, though, there isn't anything out there that can get through a midwest winter without deteriorating, especially without proper maintenance.  Like frequent and proper washing, with a recharge to boot.  It's not as simple as "well, the coating is on, so I'm good for a straight year."

https://youtu.be/aGXMeY-jsUw

Anyways, ceramic rant over.  Great products, just not always what people think/expect from the marketing.  But the marketing is certainly why they've exploded in popularity over the last ~5 years. 

Just as business advice, the guys who are honest about the products they sell are the ones that get long term business. The Billy Mays type breathless oversellers get good sales for a time, but repeat business drops off quickly as they squander their trust.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

I got ceramic coatings on two cars, and yeah, I agree, it's a lot of hype.

Honestly, I think my BRZ that I detailed and waxed with just conventional products looked way better than anything 6 months after I had professionally done.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 08, 2019, 06:50:50 AM
Just as business advice, the guys who are honest about the products they sell are the ones that get long term business. The Billy Mays type breathless oversellers get good sales for a time, but repeat business drops off quickly as they squander their trust.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin. Accepting the hype and not telling people the brutal truth is a recipe for disaster. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on March 08, 2019, 07:54:49 AM
I got ceramic coatings on two cars, and yeah, I agree, it's a lot of hype.

Honestly, I think my BRZ that I detailed and waxed with just conventional products looked way better than anything 6 months after I had professionally done.

I don't doubt it.  Ceramic isn't really worth it outside of show cars. And even then, a traditional wax is nearly preferable unless you're going strictly for durability.

giant_mtb

The best thing for paint maintenance is frequent/proper washing and the occasional coating. Vehicles already have clear coat...a wax or sealant isn't going to somehow be magically better.  A lot of people don't understand that.

shp4man

My kids gave me one of those gift packs of car care stuff about 3 years ago. Part of it was a clear synthetic wax, Figured WTF, waxed the Focus with it last summer- a white car- it still beads water and tree sap and crap doesn't stick. I guess it was worth the trouble.

Edit: It's Turtle Wax Ice.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on March 08, 2019, 08:02:20 PM
My kids gave me one of those gift packs of car care stuff about 3 years ago. Part of it was a clear synthetic wax, Figured WTF, waxed the Focus with it last summer- a white car- it still beads water and tree sap and crap doesn't stick. I guess it was worth the trouble.

Edit: It's Turtle Wax Ice.

Hell yeah. Must be nice living somewhere where the roads don't eat your wax away in a matter of weeks. :lol:

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Thankfully nobody took it seriously (yet). :lol:

giant_mtb

I don't use the pressure washer all that often, but I broke it out to get the mud off this guy today.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Detailed his wife's Tahoe today...same wheels. :lol:

r0tor

I've been using the Megiuars hybrid ceramic crap on the alfa... Couple sprites after a car wash and it seems to work nicely.

Almost too easy
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2019, 01:09:19 PM
Detailed his wife's Tahoe today...same wheels. :lol:

They must have been on sale :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 12, 2019, 01:13:36 PM
I've been using the Megiuars hybrid ceramic crap on the alfa... Couple sprites after a car wash and it seems to work nicely.

Almost too easy

Why not 7-Up? Are you racist against red spots?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Here's dat Tahoe with da wheels.  Fit much better on it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on April 12, 2019, 01:13:36 PM

Almost too easy

Yes!  Any spray detailer/wax/whatever does make life easy.  And if you're washing fairly frequently (once or twice a month) and using the stuff every time, it's all the protection you need.