Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

r0tor

Taking it to the mechanic tomorrow... -walk of mechsnical engineer shame-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

A customer brought me a pizza. Cool.

AutobahnSHO

I finally changed out the valve cover gasket on Scrappy. Need to clean all the oil off the engine and underside of transmission...  :mask:
Job was soooo much easier than the one on 2003 Odyssey.

I also took off the EGR valve and tried to clean it all out- check engine light comes and goes since I bought it from Rich. Mechanic said it doesn't hurt anything, new valve is $200ish at Advance.

Also took the oil jug to Advance auto, had Odyssey, Impreza, and Miata oil in it. :thumbsup:

So the driver headlight on Scrappy goes out some times. I replaced the bulb and ended up replacing the bulb connector when it went out the second time. Now when it goes out, opening the hood and letting it slam it turns back on.    :confused:  Sigh that will be a serious obnoxious hassle to fix. I don't think it's my hack connector job- I soldered the wires then wrapped them up super well with electrical tape then also tucked then new harness into the plastic corrugated harness and wrapped that all up with electrical tape.  :hammerhead:
Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 12, 2021, 03:10:44 PM
I finally changed out the valve cover gasket on Scrappy. Need to clean all the oil off the engine and underside of transmission...  :mask:
Job was soooo much easier than the one on 2003 Odyssey.

I also took off the EGR valve and tried to clean it all out- check engine light comes and goes since I bought it from Rich. Mechanic said it doesn't hurt anything, new valve is $200ish at Advance.

Also took the oil jug to Advance auto, had Odyssey, Impreza, and Miata oil in it. :thumbsup:

So the driver headlight on Scrappy goes out some times. I replaced the bulb and ended up replacing the bulb connector when it went out the second time. Now when it goes out, opening the hood and letting it slam it turns back on.    :confused:  Sigh that will be a serious obnoxious hassle to fix. I don't think it's my hack connector job- I soldered the wires then wrapped them up super well with electrical tape then also tucked then new harness into the plastic corrugated harness and wrapped that all up with electrical tape.  :hammerhead:

Check the ground for the light.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on February 12, 2021, 04:48:36 PM
Check the ground for the light.

The 3 wires go to what looks like a relay or other bundle of wires. Ugh.
Will

shp4man

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 12, 2021, 05:10:45 PM
The 3 wires go to what looks like a relay or other bundle of wires. Ugh.

Could you use a continuity tester on a multimeter?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on February 12, 2021, 05:19:20 PM
Is it a HID light?

Nope.

Quote from: Laconian on February 12, 2021, 06:31:41 PM
Could you use a continuity tester on a multimeter?

Yeah, I'll have to do that. But it still means unplugging connectors or trying to get the multimeter leads into tiny spots (ends of connectors).
Will

AutobahnSHO

Stupid headlight bulb was burnt out.

So odd as it it wasn't working a few times but came back on when I slammed the hood. Tomorrow = 60 and sunny = 'Vert day!!!!  :rockon:
Will

shp4man

1997 Explorer, fuel pump failed. Changed the lovely, Chinese made one that was on there, a bunch of crap came out the outlet side. That's quality right there. Haha.
I've seen engines destroyed by Chinese oil filters. People just don't get it, I guess.

JWC

So.....Honda still promotes a 60K timing belt replacement?  When I left the Honda store it had been moved to 90k and eventually in the 90s, Japanese cars were going with 120K.

The last visit at the dealership recommended:

Brake fluid change.
Transmission fluid change.

GM had 100K trans fluid and coolant. Any other recommendation was something manufactured by the service manager of the dealership, not the factory.

Is Honda that far behind?

shp4man

Passed the ASE A6, A8 and L1 tests this morning. Celebrating by getting drunk.
This will be the last time, maybe.
I'll be 73 when they expire.

Eye of the Tiger

So, they call me the "exhaust wizard" at work. I recently did a custom dual exhaust on a 50-something Willys Jeep with a GM 3.8 V6. I thought it turned out pretty good. Sounded awesome. Customer was very happy.

I like bending tubes and welding them together. It'a something different from turning wrenches all day.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

I wish I welded stuff.  The last time I did was metal shop class in 7th grade. I don't remember anything.  I also want to wear a welding face shield. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on October 27, 2021, 06:43:12 PM
I wish I welded stuff.  The last time I did was metal shop class in 7th grade. I don't remember anything.  I also want to wear a welding face shield.

I bought a refurbished Harbor Freight welder almost 20 years ago and just started figuring it out.
Now I'm pretty good at sticking tubes together. Of course, the shop has a nice Miller for me to use.
But my Harbor Freight welder is still kicking, albeit with some significant modifications.

Eye of the Tiger

What if I'm not really a mechanic? Maybe I'm a writer or musician and this is just some sick dream.

Eye of the Tiger

I averaged $1100 per ticket this week. Good shit.

Cool car that I've worked on and test driven recently:
BMW M5, V10. Holy shit that engine screams. Transmission sucks at going slow. Oh well.

shp4man

Drove a new Bronco today. Oddly, the view from the driving position reminds me of the 65-66 Caddy.  :huh:

shp4man

E350 Ford van. 200K miles. V10 engine. Original spark plugs. Misfiring like hell. Asshole, screaming owner. Pain in the ass, time consuming, filthy tune up. Fuck it, it's Friday.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on November 05, 2021, 09:31:18 PM
E350 Ford van. 200K miles. V10 engine. Original spark plugs. Misfiring like hell. Asshole, screaming owner. Pain in the ass, time consuming, filthy tune up. Fuck it, it's Friday.

Fuckity fuck. Have fun with that one.

Eye of the Tiger

Let me know how many plugs were stuck and broke. I'm guessing 9/10. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

The amount of drama that a shop full of 20-something-year-old guys can generate is mind blowing. Being the shop foreman can be make me crazy. Just shut up and work!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 10, 2021, 08:40:31 AM
The amount of drama that a shop full of 20-something-year-old guys can generate is mind blowing. Being the shop foreman can be make me crazy. Just shut up and work!
Human speech/communication is vastly overrated.  The world needs less chatter, that's why my television is always on mute.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 10, 2021, 09:51:19 AM
Human speech/communication is vastly overrated.  The world needs less chatter, that's why my television is always on mute.

I watch TV with the volume super low and the subtitles on. Maybe someday I'll be old enough to watch on mute. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 05, 2021, 05:58:02 PM
I averaged $1100 per ticket this week. Good shit.

Cool car that I've worked on and test driven recently:
BMW M5, V10. Holy shit that engine screams. Transmission sucks at going slow. Oh well.

Sister in law owns one. I haven't ever been in it though! :(
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 10, 2021, 09:51:19 AM

I have a TV in my room here. It's been on maybe 5 hours since first week of August?

But I watch pre-recorded stuff on my chromebook.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

I hate freaking wheel locks.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 08, 2022, 07:15:48 AM
I hate freaking wheel locks.

Lol. When I bought the 4Runner, I had the dealer take the wheel locks off and put regular lug nuts on. He handed me the wheel locks in a bag, and I just threw them in the garbage on the way out. I'm pretty sure they'll try to sell them to somebody.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Spent 5 hours doing electric diag on GMT900 for no crank no start. Found it needs a PCM.

It's never the PCM. Except when it is.