The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Anyone ever used mineral spirits for stuff like sap removal? I've always used isopropyl alcohol, but perhaps mineral spirits works better...and depending on who you ask on the internet it works better and is also (modern) clear coat safe. I don't have any sap on my truck to try it on, which is where I usually try out new products/techniques first.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 23, 2022, 04:45:30 PM
Was looking at the contents of some tire shine I bought the other day (some Chemical Guys aerosol stuff, I like trying anything and everything), and it appears the main shine content comes from plain old mineral oil.

Hmmmmm.
Assuming it's okay on synthetic rubber, sing plain old mineral oil would cut your input costs nicely. Baby oil is probably the same stuff but scented.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 26, 2022, 06:01:10 AM
Assuming it's okay on synthetic rubber, sing plain old mineral oil would cut your input costs nicely. Baby oil is probably the same stuff but scented.

Might buy a bottle and try it on my tires soon. The longevity and how much slings off (after proper drying time) is the real factor, so who knows what might be part of the formula that helps it stick.  "Silicone-free" dressings are generally best for rubber/plastic as silicone eats away at them to some degree (mineral oil contains silocone), but I don't think the rubbers and plastics we use for such things these days care much about that. And most silicone-free dressings are water-based. Which means they don't last long at all, especially the minute you drive in anything more than a drizzle.

I use silicone-free stuff on interiors because it leaves a nice, natural, non-greasy finish that I know won't be washed off right away and is 100% safe for plastics/vinyl. But for tires...fuck it, they can handle it.

Morris Minor

I've noticed parts of the dash in my 12-year-old G37 are tacky - almost sticky.
It's garaged & I have a fitted sunshade I use most times it's parked.
Age takes its toll.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2022, 12:34:41 AM
Anyone ever used mineral spirits for stuff like sap removal? I've always used isopropyl alcohol, but perhaps mineral spirits works better...and depending on who you ask on the internet it works better and is also (modern) clear coat safe. I don't have any sap on my truck to try it on, which is where I usually try out new products/techniques first.

Ever try xylene? I don't know if it works on sap, but it works on a lot of stuff. Also, I like the smell.
I might eat some types of paint, but I have no idea.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Dear Mr. YOUPEE,

You ever try AMMO NYC products?  They're the expensive stuff Larry Kosilla makes.  Seems like good products, just pricey?  Still much cheaper to buy everything and coat it myself than pay someone.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on July 27, 2022, 07:39:37 AM
Dear Mr. YOUPEE,

You ever try AMMO NYC products?  They're the expensive stuff Larry Kosilla makes.  Seems like good products, just pricey?  Still much cheaper to buy everything and coat it myself than pay someone.

I have not tried any of their stuff.  Pricey indeed, but I'm sure they're decent. I'm not a $120 can of wax kinda guy. :lol:

I work on daily drivers, not Ferraris.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 26, 2022, 01:22:41 PM
Ever try xylene? I don't know if it works on sap, but it works on a lot of stuff. Also, I like the smell.
I might eat some types of paint, but I have no idea.

Haven't used xylene for anything ever. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 27, 2022, 08:28:14 AM
Haven't used xylene for anything ever. :lol:

i used it for urethane guns.

it basically acts like isopropyl alcohol, but it doesn't evaporate so fast.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2022, 11:18:46 AM
i used it for urethane guns.

it basically acts like isopropyl alcohol, but it doesn't evaporate so fast.

Is it safe for paint? The downside to iso alcohol is that it evaporates so quickly. Which makes it great for window cleaning and general sticky-stuff removal, but it offers lower dwell time to work its magic.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 27, 2022, 06:23:07 PM
Is it safe for paint? The downside to iso alcohol is that it evaporates so quickly. Which makes it great for window cleaning and general sticky-stuff removal, but it offers lower dwell time to work its magic.

I imagine it should be safe for paint, as long as you don't let it sit and soak. But I would test a small area, first.

Eye of the Tiger

Come to think of it, I wonder if xylene will remove the grease stains embedded in Jeep's white paint. Specifically, around the driver door handle.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 27, 2022, 06:23:07 PM

I don't know.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

I gave my Infiniti its autumn detail the other day. It's very therapeutic. It did not need claybarring - just a cleaner/wax.
A few very minor dings & nicks commensurate with 12 years, but still in good shape.

Morris Minor

Any recommendations for squirt-on wheel cleaner? I bought some cheapolux stuff a while back it hasn't been good.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 20, 2023, 10:43:25 AM
Any recommendations for squirt-on wheel cleaner? I bought some cheapolux stuff a while back it hasn't been good.

Been using this stuff for years and years.  $25/gallon, dilutes 4:1, so a gallon goes a long way.

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d140-combo.html

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 20, 2023, 10:50:54 AM
Been using this stuff for years and years.  $25/gallon, dilutes 4:1, so a gallon goes a long way.

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d140-combo.html
Thanks! (Meguiar's products often feature towards top of people's lists.)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 21, 2023, 06:03:50 AM
Thanks! (Meguiar's products often feature towards top of people's lists.)

Their "consumer-grade" stuff that you get off the shelf at Walmart is better than most of the other consumer-grade stuff (brands like Eagle One come to mind...truly useless stuff IME).  And then their professional-grade stuff is really good and usually priced very, very well.  A lot of the stuff I use is from Meguiar's.  Wheel cleaner, window cleaner, polishing compounds, wash soap, and a few other odds and ends. 

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 04, 2023, 02:51:37 PM
Their "consumer-grade" stuff that you get off the shelf at Walmart is better than most of the other consumer-grade stuff (brands like Eagle One come to mind...truly useless stuff IME).  And then their professional-grade stuff is really good and usually priced very, very well.  A lot of the stuff I use is from Meguiar's.  Wheel cleaner, window cleaner, polishing compounds, wash soap, and a few other odds and ends. 

Where do you buy the professional grade stuff?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on March 06, 2023, 07:42:45 AM
Where do you buy the professional grade stuff?

autogeek.net

That's where I buy all the stuff I can't get locally.

CaminoRacer

How often do you order stuff? I wonder if you could get set up with an account with Meguiar's to buy direct at wholesale cost. (Their minimum order quantity might be higher than what you need though, like I said it depends on how much you use)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Yeahhhh the amount and frequency probably wouldn't be anywhere near what they require to give me wholesale pricing. And typically when I order stuff from autogeek, I also get a couple things from other brands as well (buffer pads, etc) so it's a good one-stop shop for me.

Plus a quick Googling usually finds me a 10-20% discount code for autogeek anyways. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Hey detailer guise. What kind of undercoat should I do on TUNDRA? For about $250 I can get this black oil goop that needs reapplication every other year. For a lot more, I can get a lifetime coating.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 06, 2023, 10:08:34 AM
Hey detailer guise. What kind of undercoat should I do on TUNDRA? For about $250 I can get this black oil goop that needs reapplication every other year. For a lot more, I can get a lifetime coating.

A 6-pack of FluidFilm spray cans is like $60. Once a year. Or use a spray gun and buy it by the gallon.

I sprayed Taco very, very thoroughly and 6 cans was plenty.

Or are you not looking to DIY. If so idk.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 06, 2023, 10:56:32 AM
A 6-pack of FluidFilm spray cans is like $60. Once a year. Or use a spray gun and buy it by the gallon.

I sprayed Taco very, very thoroughly and 6 cans was plenty.

Or are you not looking to DIY. If so idk.

It's just so messy. I'd have to buy PPE and spray gun.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 06, 2023, 11:01:05 AM
It's just so messy. I'd have to buy PPE and spray gun.

Messy indeed. Stinky, too. Took about a week before the smell went away in my shop (did it in late October...too cold to leave the garage door open).

I think the annual/every other year coatings are perfectly adequate. Relatively inexpensive and far, far better than nothing.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 06, 2023, 11:37:38 AM
Messy indeed. Stinky, too. Took about a week before the smell went away in my shop (did it in late October...too cold to leave the garage door open).

I think the annual/every other year coatings are perfectly adequate. Relatively inexpensive and far, far better than nothing.

How's it compare to gear oil smell? :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 06, 2023, 11:56:49 AM
How's it compare to gear oil smell? :lol:

Worse odor, similar linger.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 06, 2023, 01:28:14 PM
Worse odor, similar linger.

Does it repels rodents? I hope so. The mice around here love chewing on wires and having babies in blower motors.

r0tor

Any good wheel cleaner recommendations?

My SSR wheels are starting to bronze on the Mazda, probably from the metallic hawk brake pads.  Have ceramic pads on order, would like my gun metal wheels back.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed