Just fixed my starter problem

Started by 280Z Turbo, May 12, 2005, 03:31:00 PM

280Z Turbo

I just fixed my starter problem that kept my Z down for over a week now and plagued it ever since I bought it.

It used to click when I wanted it to start so bad that it would take 10-20 clicks before the starter engaged. Lately it stoped engaging altogether so it was finally time to act.

I had a stock power antenna switch laying around and I decided to use it for my starter switch. (fits right in the consle like stock) I ran its wires to the starter wire and the constant power in the dash. You simply flick it down to start and then release. It's a springy kind of switch, perfect for a starter. The wires seem to be thick enough, so it should work fine.

While I was at it, I replaced the tired, worn out battery with the one from my Saab 9000 parts car. This one is a beefy sucker and is almost brand new! It says it's made for trucks, vans and SUVs. It barely fits. B)

I also replaced the starter with one from an '81 280ZX. The 1976 starter sounded like a noisy garbage disposal, but this one has a modern "cre-cre-cre-cre" as opposed to a "grr-rrr-rrr-rrr". It's supposed to be more efficient and powerful, I think.

Now I have a race-car inspired switch and I fixed some major problems. Pretty slick, huh? :praise: :rockon:

FlatBlackCaddy

Sounds good, it must be nice to have something that starts the first time. B)

So how's that manifold leak coming. :D

You still have that saab laying around? What are you going to do with it.

280Z Turbo

QuoteSounds good, it must be nice to have something that starts the first time. B)

I have parts coming in the mail for the turbo exhaust leak.

I kinda like having the Saab around. Sometimes I need random parts from it. Best of all I can use it to store crap in it like my wiring harnesses, old seats, exhaust parts etc. The hatchback gives me easy access to parts when I need them.

Me and my buddy Ross have talked about turning the Saab into a giant BBQ grill. It has a sunroof for venting and a hatchback for easy access.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteSounds good, it must be nice to have something that starts the first time. B)

I kinda like having the Saab around. Sometimes I need random parts from it. Best of all I can use it to store crap in it like my wiring harnesses, old seats, exhaust parts etc. The hatchback gives me easy access to parts when I need them.

Me and my buddy Ross have talked about turning the Saab into a giant BBQ grill. It has a sunroof for venting and a hatchback for easy access.
You might be a redneck if......

Seriously though that would be interesting.
Personally i'd make it a track car or something but iirc you had some major issues(tranny), but hey i told you not to buy that thing. :lol:  

280Z Turbo

but hey i told you not to buy that thing. :lol:
I'll be damned. :lol:

Personally i would not buy it, you'd be wasting 800 dollars.
If you just want a winter beater get a early 90's sentra, better yet you might be able to score a early 90's se-r/nx2000 for around 700 bucks.
Much better winter car IMO.

FlatBlackCaddy

but hey i told you not to buy that thing. :lol:
I'll be damned. :lol:

Personally i would not buy it, you'd be wasting 800 dollars.
If you just want a winter beater get a early 90's sentra, better yet you might be able to score a early 90's se-r/nx2000 for around 700 bucks.
Much better winter car IMO.
You dug that up pretty quick.

I hate to say i told you so but......nevermind. :(  

FlatBlackCaddy

You should try parting the saab out, if the motors good(and its a turbo, and the turbo is good) i'm sure you can get a couple hundred for it from a fellow saab owner.

BMWDave

Its good that your Z is working.  Does it have a lot of problems, or is it fairly reliable?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

280Z Turbo

It's reliable if you don't screw with it. ;)

I, however, just pulled my motor out of a 280ZXT from the junkyard last fall so, as you might imagine, there will be some problems this spring. It's been pretty good though and I'm constantly improving it.

It's not running BTW. It needs a new valve cover gasket. Easy install, but the parts have to come yet.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm sure you've mentioned it before but

Are you running a different rear end or is it stock?

Does your car currently have a LSD?

280Z Turbo

My car has a stock R200 rear. It is the beefier of the 2 rear ends Nissan used in the Zs. I think the ratio is 3.54, but I never checked it. It is not the LSD version.

I think the 350Z uses an R200. I'm sure it's very different though.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteMy car has a stock R200 rear. It is the beefier of the 2 rear ends Nissan used in the Zs. I think the ratio is 3.54, but I never checked it. It is not the LSD version.

I think the 350Z uses an R200. I'm sure it's very different though.
My N/A 84 Z has a open diff. I don't know the ratios. I do know that its 160(iirc) stock hp can overpower the stock diff. It really needs a LSD.

Do you plan to upgrade yours? i'm sure you could put several different rear ends in the Z(i'm unsure of what is interchangable).

280Z Turbo

I don't want a 3.90. A 3.54 is ideal for a turbo because the gears need to be long enough to get into boost. I have a buddy who has a 3.90 on his 1973 240Z Turbo and now he wants to swap it.

I've never spun the tires before so I don't really care about LSDs, but I may swap it to another 3.54 to fix the drivetrain vibration.