The $250.00 air filter

Started by JWC, May 16, 2005, 09:30:41 PM

JWC

I was checking out the Ford forums today...kinda slow this afternoon at work and came across a discussion about 2005 Ford Focus air filters. A tech wanted to know where the darn thing was located. He found what he thought was the air filter box, but couldn't get into it. Turns out, it is now a sealed box with a non-replaceable, long life air filter.

Well, you can replace it, you just have to buy the whole air cleaner box, filter inside.  Starting at 250.00 for the basic Focus and ending at $350.00 for the performance engines.

I guess I've been spending too much time in the darkroom and not enough time following the auto market.  Has any other manufacturer lost their minds beside Ford?

This seems to be a pattern with Ford. Recently we had to replace the engine in a 2004 T-Bird because of what started out as an oil leak repair turned into a horror story. After we located the culprit gasket, we couldn't obtain the part. Ford won't sell it separate from the engine. It was under warranty, so Ford paid for the new engine. Same with the crankshaft. That's unavailable separately.  Ford will not sell certain repair parts for this engine....from what we understand it is to prevent certain repairs from being made on them.

No wonder this company is in trouble.

850CSi

That's ridiculous.

Imagine if European manufacturers did that...

crv16

Well, they can't make money selling cars, so now they resort to tactics like this.

The dealers are probably asking for stuff like this, don't you think?  Modern cars require a fraction of the maintenance they did in years past, which in turn reduces the income stream for dealers.

Look at my Civic.  It calls for oil & filter changes (every 10k! miles), $12 air filter changes every 30k, $25 cabin air filters every 30k and radiator flush every 60k.  The only real maintenance comes at 110k, where the plugs, timing belt, tranny oil get changed.

I do all this crap myself, and it will likely cost under $400 in maintenance to get this car to 100k.  
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

JWC

From a dealer viewpoint, we're not very happy. Who wants to be the first to tell a Focus owner that he needs and air filter and that it is hundreds of dollars?  It didn't seem to go over well on the FMC board.

There is some speculation that it is a 100K filter or that is may be covered 100K, but that hasn't been verified.   Regardless, speaking to a tech we brought over from a larger dealer, he was given the job of "checking" the air filter on a 15K mile used Focus. He ended up removing the front wheel and the bumper to access the box. Though he couldn't get the box open completely, he did get a peek inside. It was full of dust, leaves, and pine straw.  

Catman

So there's no easy access at all?  Does aftermarket make a replacement?  It's an airfilter, there's no such thing as 100K life.  A few miles in real dusty conditions would take its toll.  If it does last 100K than that sucker isn't breathing too well. :rolleyes:  

JWC

According to the only tech I know who has taken one out....no, there isn't any easy access.

This is a fine way to screw up a car that finally has become reliable.  Since the 2001my, there hasn't been anything major go wrong with them. Matter of fact, we were talking about that at the shop not long ago. We're seeing them with over 120k miles on them now and no engine or transmission problems.  Even the interiors are holding up pretty well at the mileage.

I said today at work, if I find myself with one, I'm going to find a way to adapt a air filter box from an older model onto the 2005.

Catman

QuoteAccording to the only tech I know who has taken one out....no, there isn't any easy access.

This is a fine way to screw up a car that finally has become reliable.  Since the 2001my, there hasn't been anything major go wrong with them. Matter of fact, we were talking about that at the shop not long ago. We're seeing them with over 120k miles on them now and no engine or transmission problems.  Even the interiors are holding up pretty well at the mileage.

I said today at work, if I find myself with one, I'm going to find a way to adapt a air filter box from an older model onto the 2005.
I think they're a great little car and the new interior isn't bad at all.  What's a sedan going for right now?  Can you get one for $12,000?

JWC

Honestly, I'm not sure what is the current MSRP. I'm on the service desk. I can tell you that it is currently 25.23 for an oil change. :D  

Catman

QuoteHonestly, I'm not sure what is the current MSRP. I'm on the service desk. I can tell you that it is currently 25.23 for an oil change. :D
LOL, just checked Edmunds.  Looks like about $14K with some good options including the $2000 rebate.  That's not bad.

JWC

You know, after working for so many new car dealers, it is difficult to get excited about even a new model.  When I first started working at dealerships, I spent all my time on the lot looking and thinking "yeah, that'd be nice to own".

Now, they just look like more work. :D  

Lebowski

That's unbelievable.  That doesn't make any sense.  Is there any way to clean it?  I.E., even with a "permanent" filter like a k&n, you still have to take it out and clean it every so often.  Like said before, a filter by definition isn't really permanent, eventually it's going to get gunked up and need to be cleaned or replaced.

JWC

QuoteThat's unbelievable.  That doesn't make any sense.  Is there any way to clean it?  I.E., even with a "permanent" filter like a k&n, you still have to take it out and clean it every so often.  Like said before, a filter by definition isn't really permanent, eventually it's going to get gunked up and need to be cleaned or replaced.
Evidently not.....its a sealed air box with the filter inside. The tech we talked to today said he only opened enough to peek inside.

JWC

The ironic part of working at the Ford dealer is everyone, especially the techs, rags on me for owning a Saab. I usually hear comments like "you'll "Saab" when you have to buy any parts" or "Saabs are too expensive to work on".

So far, I've haven't seen where Saab parts are any more expensive than Ford and the realiability seems to be the same. Granted, my 2001 9-5 only has 19k on the odometer, but....my air filter only runs 25.00.

VTEC_Inside

I don't think it will be long till someone makes an aftermarket "stock" filter box.

That really does seem kinda stupid.

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

The Phantom

QuoteSo there's no easy access at all?  Does aftermarket make a replacement?  It's an airfilter, there's no such thing as 100K life.  A few miles in real dusty conditions would take its toll.  If it does last 100K than that sucker isn't breathing too well. :rolleyes:
You know, just last week, I dropped a K&N filter into my air box.  Upon inspection of the old filter, after 20k miles, it was really clean.  And, I think you know, the Central Valley is a very dusty area.

Anyway, I would hope that if the air filter caused a problem, it would be covered under warranty, especially since it isn't something that's replaceable by the consumer.  Gosh, Ford seems to be treating the Focus like something it isn't--a cool car.  :P
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

The Phantom

QuoteThe ironic part of working at the Ford dealer is everyone, especially the techs, rags on me for owning a Saab. I usually hear comments like "you'll "Saab" when you have to buy any parts" or "Saabs are too expensive to work on".

So far, I've haven't seen where Saab parts are any more expensive than Ford and the realiability seems to be the same. Granted, my 2001 9-5 only has 19k on the odometer, but....my air filter only runs 25.00.
One of the things my dad always told me was that foreign cars these days are more expensive to maintain.

I found that to be false with the Acura.  Of course, being FWD, anything going wrong with the front probably would cost more, but no more than the Grand Am would cost.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

SargeMonkey

Acura is not import. But $250 for a filter, whoa :o  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

The Phantom

QuoteAcura is not import. But $250 for a filter, whoa :o
If that's the case, then neither is Saab.

SargeMonkey

Nope saab = Gm, Acura = Acura?  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

VTEC_Inside

QuoteNope saab = Gm, Acura = Acura?
You might want to do a little more research.

I don't know about the Saab, but all RSXs are built in Japan and imported.

To be clear Acura acutally = Honda.

hahn

QuoteNope saab = Gm, Acura = Acura?
You might want to do a little more research.

I don't know about the Saab, but all RSXs are built in Japan and imported.

To be clear Acura acutally = Honda.
Even though Saab is now part of the GM empire, all Saabs are still built in Sweden, for the time being anyway.  I believe that Saab's main factory is in Trollhattan.

The Phantom

Right.  The Acura RSX is built in Japan and is called the Honda Integra over there.  I believe the TL is built over here, as is the MDX.  The RL is built in Japan and is the Honda Legend over there.  The TSX is the Honda Accord over there.  I believe that may actually be built in Great Britain, but I'm not absolutely sure.  Then, of course, there's the NSX, which is built in Japan.

The Honda Accord, which is built over here, is the Honda Inspire in Japan.  The MDX is sold in Japan as the MDX, but I don't think the TL is sold over there any more.  It used to be the Inspire and Saber, but now the American Accord has the Inspire name.

Run Away

MDX/Odessey/Civic are build in Alliston, Ontario IIRC.
That's where all my relatives live, and where I lived last summer.

JWC

Reading the comments about Acura/Honda vehicles reminded me of another, what I consider, a bonehead move.  In the Accord Hybrid, Honda decided a spare tire was un-necessary, so they give you a "flat tire repair kit".  This is fine if you only have a nail in the tire, but if you hit a pothole and split the sidewall, you're stuck until a wrecker comes along.

VTEC_Inside

QuoteReading the comments about Acura/Honda vehicles reminded me of another, what I consider, a bonehead move.  In the Accord Hybrid, Honda decided a spare tire was un-necessary, so they give you a "flat tire repair kit".  This is fine if you only have a nail in the tire, but if you hit a pothole and split the sidewall, you're stuck until a wrecker comes along.
I see your point.

I think there are a few other cars though that have done away with the spare as well.

Didn't they do that on the C5? I seem to recall hearing about at least one other car that did the same.

Runflat or not, your cavernous pothole example would probably render the tire useless.

BartsSVO

Yup, the C5 Corvette doesn't have a spare. However they use run flats from the factory.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

JWC

Add the Ford GT to the list of cars without a spare.

I was just reading the dealer handbook about the "emergency tire inflation kit".  

Run Away

In all my time living in North America, I've never had a flat. My dad had one not long ago, but that's the only one I remember.  

280Z Turbo

I have a spare, but it takes up too much room and I don't take it with me. Of all the things that can go wrong with that car, a flat tire isn't likely to be one of them. :)

The Phantom

QuoteReading the comments about Acura/Honda vehicles reminded me of another, what I consider, a bonehead move.  In the Accord Hybrid, Honda decided a spare tire was un-necessary, so they give you a "flat tire repair kit".  This is fine if you only have a nail in the tire, but if you hit a pothole and split the sidewall, you're stuck until a wrecker comes along.
I see your point.

I think there are a few other cars though that have done away with the spare as well.

Didn't they do that on the C5? I seem to recall hearing about at least one other car that did the same.

Runflat or not, your cavernous pothole example would probably render the tire useless.
I think the C5 Z06 doesn't even get run flats!  They weigh too much and Chevy wanted to keep the weight down.

I read somewhere about one car that comes with a can of Fix-a-Flat.  I was thinking it was the Z06, but something told me it was a foreign jobber.  Perhaps the BMW M3 too?