Project Z

Started by 280Z Turbo, November 20, 2005, 05:37:16 PM

280Z Turbo

It's hard to believe that it's already winter and disasembly has already begun!

For those of you that don't know, I own a 1976 Datsun 280Z 2+2 with a 1981 280ZX Turbo motor. It has been fitted with a 5 speed manual, 3" exhaust, and a bunch of other little stuff!

I started to remove the differential yesterday to swap in a newer one. It is the same ratio as the old one (3.545:1), but this one is in better shape. My old one has a habit of vibrating under acceleration due to a bad bearing as well as howling in 3rd and 4th due to wear. The howling got even worse after my auto-X. I also plan to replace the halfshaft u-joints and the differential mount to help with the clunking that is so common with first gen Z-cars.

Just a few other things planned this winter:

-Electrical fan install: getting rid of that noisy, power robbing mechanical fan. The clutch is too old and won't disengage when cold and engage when hot. It does the opposite! It's so bad, that when the car starts up, it sounds like an airplane, just about. It drowns out my 3" exhaust, which isn't easy to do!

-Z31 MAF swap: Replace unreliable 280ZXT Bosch L-Jetronic EFI system and ZXT ignition system with a more reliable LH-Jetronic MAF system. This system is more tuneable, will get me more hp, and better MPG! It involves a fair amount of wire splicing, but I think I want to try it.

-Repair rocker panels: I have some rust issues that need to be neutralized with POR-15. Expensive stuff, but it's about the only stuff that stops rust dead in it's tracks.

I'll get pics up soon, but my computer is on the fritz right now and doesn't recognize my camera anymore.

footoflead

:rockon: Alright have fun..man i wish i was you... B) i expect pics soon
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

Alright here's some pics!

Inside the 3.54 differential. Techies will see that it's an open differential as opposed to a locking one.

This doesn't leave me much room for prying those halfshafts out!

Another pic of the diff:

I did get the halfshafts out with a crowbar...somehow they came out with just a few good tugs! Most people work on these for hours!

About to drop down! Better wait for my dad to help me. I don't want that beast dropping on my ribcage!

I had to pull my 3" exhaust for clearance. Behold it in all it's beauty! It makes the electric drill look small! :rockon:

footoflead

Sweet sean...let us know how the progress is coming...

:rockon:

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

No muffler or cats? That thing must be loud.

footoflead

QuoteNo muffler or cats? That thing must be loud.
NO cats....lucky <_<  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

No cat. It has a muffler. That round thing up front is a glasspack.

It's not quiet, but the turbo and glasspack keep it comfortable.

FOL, cats don't hurt power that much.

FlatBlackCaddy

Does the rear end your installing have a LSD, i know we went over the LSD issue before and that you weren't too concerned with getting one.

But i'd imagine as power increase traction will become more of an issue. Also the way i drive i thougth that a base 31 should have come with a LSD.  

280Z Turbo

LSDs are expensive. I'd like one, but I can't afford one.

TBR

No cat. It has a muffler. That round thing up front is a glasspack.

It's not quiet, but the turbo and glasspack keep it comfortable.

FOL, cats don't hurt power that much.
Ah, I see.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteLSDs are expensive. I'd like one, but I can't afford one.
I thought you could just swap in a stock rear end from the turbo's that already had a LSD.

I don't think it would cost much more than a stock(non LSD) unit from a parts yard.

280Z Turbo

Yes, 87-89 300ZXTs have LSDs, but I haven't seen one in the junkyard. Believe me, I checked around.

Even used LSDs are expensive.

280Z Turbo

The new 3.54 differential is in place. That should cure the howling and vibration.

I'm trying this synthetic gear oil in the diff and trans. Some guys say that it's the best stuff since sliced bread, so I'm going to give it a shot. The transmission oil is supposed to smooth shifts, reduce noise and heat, and help aging synchros.

Here's my aluminum fuel rail. Once I get the injector o rings, I'll throw it on the car.

For comparison purposes, here's the old steel rail:

Here's my 14x6 280ZX rims. I'm working on polishing/touching them up to ready them for new tires. At 13 lbs each, they're extrememly lightweight! I'll be mounting up some 215/60/14 Yokohama Avid S/Ts assuming I can get my hands on some genuine Nissan lugnuts.

Here's kind of what the tires will look like:

footoflead

:rockon:

its comin together B)

how much more work you gonna do on it before spring

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

I still have to drop the trans, replace the leaky seals in it, replace trans crossmember bushings with urethane, refill with Redline synthetic etc.

I'm hoping to work on that tommrow.

Then the fuel system goes back together, the driveshaft goes back on, and hopefully I'll fire it up again just to hear that grunty I6 with no exhaust. :devil:  

Run Away

Looks good Sean. Hopefully that all cures it, a smooth shifting tranny makes such a difference in how enjoyable it is to drive.

280Z Turbo

QuoteLooks good Sean. Hopefully that all cures it, a smooth shifting tranny makes such a difference in how enjoyable it is to drive.
The tranny is okay, the diff was the main problem. A bit hesitant to engage 2nd, but it's not a clunky, temperamental bitch like my dad's Dakota.

I just hope I don't tear the new diff isolator with hole shots! :D  

Raza

QuoteLSDs are expensive. I'd like one, but I can't afford one.
It is something to look into in the future.  The last thing you want is to lose power from spinning your inside wheel around a corner.  That's one of the biggest reasons I'm not getting a 3 series any time soon.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

I think people make too big a deal of LSDs...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

footoflead

QuoteI think people make too big a deal of LSDs...
:blink: How so?

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

Wheelspin isn't an issue for me. Maybe if I had more boost it would be.

Raza

QuoteWheelspin isn't an issue for me. Maybe if I had more boost it would be.
How much power is the car making?  I know it's an issue for me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

For most people, wheelspin isn't a very big issue. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

Here's an update:

I pulled out the trans to change the front and rear seals as well as the front cover plate gasket:

I prepared the fuel rail, cleaned the injectors, and put it on the car. I could see that the injector tips and screens were A LOT cleaner after I soaked them in a 50-50 mix of seafoam and gas.

I got a 16" 2010 cfm to replace my nearly frozen fan clutch. It didn't fit so I took off the A/C system. Who needs that piece of crap anyway? ;) Notice the thick layer of filth on the evaporator. No wonder my blower never moved much air!

I'll also have to remove a couple of useless pulleys on the crank damper for clearance.

I went insane and decided to extract the evaporater from the dash. Oh why God... why did you let me do this?!

This allowed me to clean out the gross HVAC system. I have new ducts for the vents on order.

I never knew that the squirrel cage was clear plastic! I always thought it was galvinized steel until I cleaned off the filth!

With the 1st Z meet drawing ever nearer, I think I'm moving backward, rather than forward! Oh well. I'm still having fun.

Rupert

Nice. Super nice.

Raza

That carpet looks very soft.  Is it soft?  It looks soft.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

:D

That carpet is so old! It feels nice, but the color is retro. At least it's not Avacado!

280Z Turbo

Some more progress.

Maybe replacing these injector plugs was a good idea after all. I tested it and got about 4 ohms of resistance through this connector.

I ordered some 2" ducting from a company that sells aircraft products. I used to replace the deteriorated ducts in the dash. It works good and it's durable stuff!

The fuel system is back together and all hooked up.

The dash is back in!

The distributor is back in too. I still need to get the electric fan in, but I can't do that until later.

Catman

Wow, good progress.  The interior looks decent.

footoflead

Interior is lookin great,

looks like you'll be ready for a nice cruise pretty soon..perhapes an autocross or two.. B)

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's