Car alarms

Started by L. ed foote, May 19, 2005, 01:22:09 PM

L. ed foote

I'm about to inherit a mazda protege.  The only reason the owner's getting rid of it is because she lost the key fob to the alarm (and she really wanted a new car).

She told me that I can have it.  I'm thinking disabling the alarm isn't that big of an issue.  In therory, at least

Of course I know little to nothing about car alarms, and I don't want to start clipping wires just yet.  Haven't really been able to find anything on the net, either.

If I disconnect then reconnect the battery, shouldn't I be able to deactivate the alarm before it resets?  Or should I just trace and rip wires that look like they're related to the alarm system?
Member, Self Preservation Society

FlatBlackCaddy

See my ? on the C&D thread.

FlatBlackCaddy

Also i'm confused, do you want to know how to disable the alarm completely or just to take the car home?

L. ed foote

QuoteAlso i'm confused, do you want to know how to disable the alarm completely or just to take the car home?
The keyfob is lost, and it's a 10 year old car, so I want to disable it completely

FlatBlackCaddy

10 years old?

So i imagine its a aftermarket unit.

They normally consist of a small control box(with about 5-10 wires going in it) and a long thin wire for the antenna signal. Almost all aftermarket alarms i've run into are installed under the steering column. Shouldn't be too hard to find, just look for a cheesy looking small black box zip tied(or just shoved) up under the dash(you probobly have to remove the panel). Once you find it you can either pull the fuse(should have a inline blade type fuse on the power wire). Or you could completely remove all the components(normally what i do) depending on how it was installed(if they are just spliced in using those plastic splicers).

Either way its under the dash and seperate of the computers main systems. Pulling the fuse or cutting the power wire will do it. You could(for the time being, just to move it around) cut the wires going to the siren under the hood(most aftermarket alarms should have a siren, otherwise they use the horns).

L. ed foote