2021 BMW M3 And M4 Combine Controversial Looks With AWD And Up To 503 HP

Started by cawimmer430, September 23, 2020, 05:13:42 AM

cawimmer430

:confused:

2021 BMW M3 And M4 Combine Controversial Looks With AWD And Up To 503 HP

BMW has long used the "ultimate driving machine" motto, but the messaging has been muddied thanks to front-wheel drive models such as the 2-Series Gran Coupe.

However, the M3 and M4 have always exemplified that slogan and the company is looking to build on their success with all-new versions which were introduced earlier tonight.

Starting under the hood, the cars have a twin-turbo 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that produces 473 hp (352 kW / 479 PS) and 406 lb-ft (550 Nm) of torque. The Competition variants are a tad more powerful as they have 503 hp (375 kW / 510 PS) and 479 lb-ft (650 Nm) of torque.

Thanks to the added power, the M3 and M4 can accelerate from 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) in 4.1 seconds, before hitting a top of 180 mph (290 km/h) when equipped with the M Driver's Package.  The Competition variants are even faster as the dash to 60 mph (96 km/h) is cut to 3.8 seconds, but the top speed remains unchanged.

Enthusiasts can breathe a sigh of relief as the company announced the standard M3 and M4 will be offered with a six-speed manual and rear-wheel drive.  Besides keeping drivers involved, the gearbox weighs 50 lbs (22.7 kg) less than the eight-speed automatic and BMW says this helps to improve front-to-rear weight distribution.

Due to the extra torque, the Competition variants are automatic-only.  To compensate, there's a rev-matching downshift function and a manual mode that is controlled by steering wheel mounted paddle shifters.

Of course, the big news is the addition of all-wheel drive.  Available exclusively on Competition variants, the M xDrive system is rear-biased and features an Active M rear differential.

To ensure the cars handle in a traditional BMW M fashion, torque is directed to the rear wheels during normal driving.  When extra traction is needed, power is sent to the front wheels for added grip.

The all-wheel drive system has three different modes including the default 4WD setting. 4WD Sport directs more torque to the rear wheels during dynamic driving and is designed to work "particularly well" on the track.  Customers can also select 2WD which switches off the dynamic stability control system and allows fans to enjoy a "pure rear-wheel drive experience without any system intervention."

Speaking of handling, the cars come standard with an Adaptive M suspension and an M-specific double-joint spring strut front suspension.  The latter features "newly developed aluminum wishbones with ball joints, an aluminum torque arm with new mounts, a forged swivel bearing with a unique spring strut clamp and lightweight wheel bearings with very a high camber range."

The rear suspension uses a five-link setup with wishbone control arms that have been redesigned to provide "precise handling for the most demanding driver."  Last but not least, the front track grows by 1.5 inches (38 mm) to improve traction and directional stability.

The models have additional bracing as well as both feature a shock tower brace and vertical braces which connect the engine compartment to the front aluminum subframe.  There's also crossbar bracing and a brace which connects the rear subframe with the rear cargo area.

Other highlights include M Servotronic steering and an optional M Drive Professional package with M Traction Control.  The latter feature is all-new and allows the driver to set the intervention threshold for wheel slip.  Drivers can select from ten different settings and this enables them to find the "ideal balance of racing-car performance and directional stability."

When it comes time to stop, drivers will be happy to know there's a new high-performance braking system. It features six-piston calipers and 15 inch (380 mm) discs up front, as well as single-piston rear calipers which grab onto 14.6 inch (370 mm) discs.

Customers can also opt for a carbon ceramic braking system that has gold painted calipers as well as discs which measure 15.7 inches (400 mm) front and 15 inches (380 mm) rear.

Besides the impressive performance specs, the models have a bold front end that will undoubtedly prove controversial. A massive twin kidney grille dominates the front bumper and is flanked by sizeable air intakes with honeycomb inserts.

Moving further back, there's a bulging hood and front fender vents. The models also have sporty side skirts, aerodynamic mirrors and a more aggressive rear bumper.  The latter houses a black diffuser and openings for a four-tailpipe sports exhaust system.

The cars come equipped with LED headlights, a carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic roof and tinted taillights. Customers can also order an M Carbon exterior package which adds a number of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic components including a rear spoiler, diffuser and mirror caps.

The standard M3 and M4 ride on forged alloy wheels which measure 18-inches front and 19-inches rear.  Competition variants have larger 19- and 20-inch wheels with a polished rim that helps to accentuate their size.

Interior changes are relatively modest, but include a sport steering wheel, a red start/stop button and a special shifter in Competition variants.  Aluminum tetragon trim is standard, but carbon fiber is also available and it even extends to the steering wheel.

Elsewhere, there are new sport seats which are wrapped in fine-grain Merino leather and available with ventilation for the first time.  Customers can also order optional M Carbon bucket seats which are 21 lbs (9.5 kg) lighter and feature aggressive bolsters as well as an illuminated model badge.

Other highlights include a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a 10.25-inch infotainment system with cloud-based BMW Maps as well as wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.  Unsurprisingly, there are a handful of M-specific features including an M Drift Analyzer and an M Laptimer.

Both models will arrive in the United States this March and pricing starts at $69,900 for the M3 and $71,800 for the M4 Coupe. The M3 Competition will retail for $72,800 while the M4 Competition will cost $74,700.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/2021-bmw-m3-and-m4-combine-controversial-looks-with-awd-and-up-to-503-hp/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

Well they look terrible.

I can sort of see AWD being a benefit if the car is your lone daily driver and you live in the snow belt - but I have to think that demographic is rather small.  It's rather stupid you can only select 2WD when also turning off stability control.

I also see a loss of the DCT for the ZF 8 speed.  The ZF is great and all, but in this application a DCT makes more sense as it just feels more sporty.

I also think BMWs digital gauges suck.

... So yea, not a huge fan of this on paper at least....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

So BMW built their own Edsel. Not much thought gone into front license plates either I see.  :facepalm:

MX793

Call me an unthusiast, but I feel like the race for horsepower has gotten out of hand.  Remember when the M3 was a light, responsive road racer suited for touring car racing?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on September 23, 2020, 06:49:23 AM
Call me an unthusiast, but I feel like the race for horsepower has gotten out of hand.  Remember when the M3 was a light, responsive road racer suited for touring car racing?

The M2 has been the Bimmer of choice for a few years now, as it's the closest to the original formula.

SJ_GTI

Yeah, the M3 is basically the same car (size wise) as the M5 from 20 years ago.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CALL_911

A new M3 comes out and I could not care less. Didn't think I'd see the day. Sad

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

They're only showing pics with the license plate because of how hideous it is otherwise. Wonder how bad it'll be with a US bucktooth plate?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on September 23, 2020, 08:12:26 AM
I just read it gained 350lbs... WTF

Its going to weigh about the same as what my 2010 S4 weighed (but have an extra ~150 HP).

r0tor

The current car didn't needed more weight... Less weight and better steering would have solved everything wrong in the world with it.  It needed to be more M2 this generation and instead is becoming more M5

Payman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 23, 2020, 10:54:51 AM
Someone did a quick 'chop and fixed the whole design. ;)

Still too chonky. The 3 should have a small kidney grill. This should be on a 5, and the 7 has a wide flared nostril one.

r0tor

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 23, 2020, 06:49:23 AM

You're right though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

So Raza, I'm curious...

Let's say you live in some eco shit hole country like... Merkel Germany for example, which wants to ban the internal combustion engine as soon as possible and force people to drive EVs.

Could you live in such a world?  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 28, 2020, 05:23:39 AM
So Raza, I'm curious...

Let's say you live in some eco shit hole country like... Merkel Germany for example, which wants to ban the internal combustion engine as soon as possible and force people to drive EVs.

Could you live in such a world?  :lol:

Sure, I'd just take cabs everywhere and tell everyone of the way things were.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AltinD

The first such front grille was used by the BMW tuner HARTGE on the M6 back in 2005 - 6. I have a picture of one

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

FoMoJo

Over the decades BMW has had a lot of different "kidney" grille shapes and they always looked stylish; until this latest abomination.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: AltinD on November 28, 2020, 01:31:22 PM
The first such front grille was used by the BMW tuner HARTGE on the M6 back in 2005 - 6. I have a picture of one

Not quite as bad as the new 3/4.  That actually looks like a Pontiac.
Needs more Jiggawatts