Why don't people buy new sports cars anymore?

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 15, 2018, 01:39:38 PM

12,000 RPM

Resident rage quitter Mark Baruth has an editorial in TTAC crying about the death of sports cars, speaking to his experience as a journalist in an Evora 410 to how "great" they can be and how we need more simple and lightweight cars. I was going to reply there but they were already 50 replies deep... no point in typing up a response nobody will read.

For me, the reasons are manifold, and I don't think they are unique just to me. I enjoy driving engagement, good chassis balance, and higher than average performance. I don't enjoy

- excessive tire/road noise
- dealing with impracticality
- jarring ride quality

Plus you have to factor in that across most of the US, roads and traffic are getting worse, so for most people the ability to open a sports car up and enjoy it in its element is getting more and more restricted. Can something like a sedan or crossover match the driving experience of a sports car? Obviously not, but due to changing road parameters that's almost becoming a good thing. If I were in the Northeast, after my experience driving my Z there, I'd want something like an X3 35i on the balloniest tires possible. And sedan wise some of the sportiest offerings today are definitely on the subjective realm of driving experience of sports cars of yesteryear, at least in some aspects. They are definitely there objectively.

And the prospect of a 2nd car just doesn't make sense for me and I imagine most people. My garage and driveway are 2 cars wide and we park inside in the winter. I had 3 cars this winter and it was a PITA doing the shuffle. Back when I had a choice between a sports car and a "normal" car I jumped in the normal car more because it beat me up and fatigued me a lot less on my commute.

One unique factor to me is my motorcycle which enables a level of engagement and performance most cars I've ever driven can match. While being much cheaper to own and easier to deal with maintenance/parking wise. Only thing that sucks about it is suiting up and the injury potential.

So have car buyers just become weak or is there due cause for people to have moved away from sports cars?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Laconian

* Cities using traffic tickets to generate revenue that should be raised using taxes instead.
* Speed limits lowered to satisfy revenue and NIMBY agendas.
* Cops explicitly incentivized to write as many tickets as possible.
* Punative insurance spikes when caught speeding.
* Fuel costs going up.

It sucks. The solution is to get a slow sports car: Miata.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

I don't want to jinx myself, but I drive spiritedly and don't have too much trouble with the law. I think that's a different issue, though I did get ticketed a good bit more in my Z. But I think that was due to the bored cops in the neighborhood I was living in at the time.

Here's a good example I think I mentioned before. Guy at my job used to have a Boxster GTS I think. He drove like a grandpa. 5 under the limit everywhere. It infuriated me. He recently traded it in. For what you ask? GLC Coupe :lol: I'd wager many of the sports car trades over the last decade have gone that way, even if people didn't need the added utility.

Xer0

I'm pretty sure its all about disposable income.  The average new car transaction price is way up, wages are flat-ish, and good paying jobs come attached with 5-6 figures of student loan debt.  At the other end of the spectrum, the super expensive almost exotic stuff, sales seem to be pretty good to booming.

Laconian

Quote from: Xer0 on March 15, 2018, 02:21:20 PM
I'm pretty sure its all about disposable income.  The average new car transaction price is way up, wages are flat-ish, and good paying jobs come attached with 5-6 figures of student loan debt.  At the other end of the spectrum, the super expensive almost exotic stuff, sales seem to be pretty good to booming.

Sign of the times. The Neo Gilded Age.

That's what happens when productivity gains from technological progress are socked away by a fraction of a fraction of the population.

2o6

Housing costs have effectively doubled in any city with good jobs. Student loans are at an all time high.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on March 15, 2018, 03:04:16 PM
Sign of the times. The Neo Gilded Age.

That's what happens when productivity gains from technological progress are socked away by a fraction of a fraction of the population.

Good time to be in the luxury goods business.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 15, 2018, 03:35:42 PM
Good time to be in the luxury goods business.

Explains why every luxury auto manufacturer wants to sell you a yacht to go with your car.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Xer0 on March 15, 2018, 04:02:15 PM
Explains why every luxury auto manufacturer wants to sell you a yacht to go with your car.

And custom luggage to fit in the boot.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I didn't buy Vette new (If I could afford a C7 I would've) but I'm in the minority that still want a proper Sports Car and a DD/Winter car. Hell I might even add a pick up to my stable soon! But I agree with the guys saying people don't have the extra money to blow on "A Toy." I also think this generation is the same generation that was raised in Explorers, Suburbans and Caravans so they relate to all these CUV/SUV/Tall wagons. Just my .02!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

A lot of it is non-sports cars offer just as good or better driving experience, plus of course much better practicality - Camaro, Mustang, GTI/Golf R, WRX/STI, Focus ST/RS, etc.

r0tor

Modern sports cars are junk and then if you want to buy one with more "raw" driver feel and involvement you pay exponentially more money... and after all that money you still don't have the feel or involvement of a decent sports car made in the late 90s or early 00s.

So why bother with new sports cars when they drive like an SUV... Just buy an SUV
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Speed_Racer

When family cars and SUVs can return sub 6-second 0-60s while carrying kids and groceries, and people can't afford weekend cars anymore...I can see why sports car sales are declining.

My next car may be a sports car, but who knows. I get the visceral experience from my bikes that are missing from many modern sports cars, and at a much cheaper ownership cost.

12,000 RPM

YEa the motorcycle thing is worth repeating. I saw a guy on an FZ-07 today... he was a total noob but I was still jealous. My bike is in pieces right now

MexicoCityM3

I don't buy sports cars at the moment because other expenses impede it (building family life).

I don't think that generally speaking it's an economic issue. Data shows people earn more in real terms today whining notwithstanding. It's about evolving tastes and priorities. Whole categories of spending, like tech, are relatively new and millenials give them a higher priority than cars. Roads tend to be crowded. Many cities are congested and polluted limiting the appeal of sports car ownership. There even are alternatives (Uber et al) to overall car ownership in general.

And also, yeah, I think cars have become more inert at legal speeds specifically. Very few people track.

Bikes do give the greatest thrill no question. Unfortunately along with a high multiplier of the risk of dying compared to a sports car.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

veeman

For a person with kids, it's very limiting to have a car with no backseat or tiny backseats. Kids don't just play outside after school and in the summer anymore like they mostly did when I was a kid.  Everything is an organized adult supervised activity.  To these activities they need to be dropped off and picked up. A sports car is useless for me.  I can't take it anywhere. Also if you put your kid in the front passenger seat nowadays, you might get reported to child protective services.

"Hi honey, I have a late meeting with my boss at work and won't be home till 6.  On your way home from work, you gotta pick up junior from karate class."
"Oohh, sorry honey, I can't.  It was a nice day so I brought my sports car to work...Can I Uber him a car?"

"Hi honey, I know it's a beautiful Sunday morning and you're just about to go golfing with your friend, ... I need for you to take junior to soccer practice.  It's on your way to the greens."
"Oohh, sorry honey...I was gonna take my sports car... It's only 5 miles. He can walk it. Tell him to face the oncoming traffic. Better yet have him take his bike. Tell him to bike with the traffic..."

"Hi honey, I ran over your sports car by mistake.  I think it's totaled.  I wanna go with you this time while you pick out a replacement car, O.K."

giant_mtb

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 17, 2018, 04:07:42 AM
Sounds like having kids is terrible.

;)
I was done with sports cars before I had kids. Sometimes I do kind of want a BRZ though

Raza

It's because people don't want to drive anymore, they want to text their way to their final destination.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Given how awful traffic and roads are getting for most people, is that a bad thing?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 18, 2018, 04:44:08 AM
Given how awful traffic and roads are getting for most people, is that a bad thing?

There are plenty of places where "traffic" doesn't exist.  "Most" people don't live in big cities there, bud.  Awful roads, though...fuck.

12,000 RPM

You don't have to live in a big city (i.e. NYC) to have to deal with traffic. The average US commute keeps getting longer and longer because of it. Most of my coworkers don't live in a "big city" but we all have to deal with the same traffic :huh:

giant_mtb

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 16, 2018, 06:35:34 PM
YEa the motorcycle thing is worth repeating. I saw a guy on an FZ-07 today... he was a total noob but I was still jealous. My bike is in pieces right now

Did you crash it again?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.