Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on November 30, 2019, 05:55:32 PM
I once used an attorney when my wife got a ticket in Vermont.  It was a 5 point ticket for speeding.  The lawyer got the points reduced to 2 points and the attorney fees were something like $500. 

I already paid my current speeding ticket on the internet the day after it happened. 

My feeling is probably most jurisdictions don't care about driver points for minor traffic violations and just want your money so there must be some kind of quid pro quo going on between the traffic violation attorneys and county.  Somehow the county is making more money from these traffic attorneys through some sort of fees like you said Dazzleman. 
How fast was she going for a 5 point penalty?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on November 30, 2019, 05:55:32 PM
I once used an attorney when my wife got a ticket in Vermont.  It was a 5 point ticket for speeding.  The lawyer got the points reduced to 2 points and the attorney fees were something like $500. 

I already paid my current speeding ticket on the internet the day after it happened. 

My feeling is probably most jurisdictions don't care about driver points for minor traffic violations and just want your money so there must be some kind of quid pro quo going on between the traffic violation attorneys and county.  Somehow the county is making more money from these traffic attorneys through some sort of fees like you said Dazzleman.

I wonder if the revenues they presumably get from selling the information about who has been ticketed exceeds the revenue they lose from people using those attorneys to get their fines reduced.

I am driving home from Boston tomorrow.  I plan to leave early so I can really put the hammer down.  Let's hope I don't have a roadside meeting with the staties.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

veeman

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 30, 2019, 08:26:57 PM
How fast was she going for a 5 point penalty?

It was several years ago so I don't remember.  It wasn't anything crazy though.  I think something like upper 60s in a 45 mph zone.  She was driving and I was in the passenger seat and kids were in the back and she was driving through small towns on the way to skiing.  It was either 4 points or 5 points.  So when we got home I googled local traffic attorneys in the town we got stopped.  The attorney knew everything about this cop (the cop went to high school with the attorney's mother) and said that as long as we weren't rude to him when he stopped us, he'll probably agree to a lesser charge.  I'm not sure how it works.  I guess the attorney speaks with the police officer. 

Several years ago I got stopped in White Plains, NY for a minor traffic violation (crossing the median to pass traffic and get in a left hand turning lane) and the police officer told me that if I show up to the courthouse, the court will vacate the points of the ticket and just collect money.  So that's what I did.

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on December 01, 2019, 01:04:37 AM
It was several years ago so I don't remember.  It wasn't anything crazy though.  I think something like upper 60s in a 45 mph zone.  She was driving and I was in the passenger seat and kids were in the back and she was driving through small towns on the way to skiing.  It was either 4 points or 5 points.  So when we got home I googled local traffic attorneys in the town we got stopped.  The attorney knew everything about this cop (the cop went to high school with the attorney's mother) and said that as long as we weren't rude to him when he stopped us, he'll probably agree to a lesser charge.  I'm not sure how it works.  I guess the attorney speaks with the police officer. 

Several years ago I got stopped in White Plains, NY for a minor traffic violation (crossing the median to pass traffic and get in a left hand turning lane) and the police officer told me that if I show up to the courthouse, the court will vacate the points of the ticket and just collect money.  So that's what I did.

Why were you worried about points in New York when they don't transfer over to your Connecticut license?  When I got my last ticket in New York, I checked with CT DMV before I decided whether to just pay or go to court to get it knocked down (as the cop suggested to me).  They told me it would not appear on my driving record as long as I paid it.  About 8 months later, I decided to switch insurance companies.  I had no other tickets at the time, so I told them I had no tickets, and when they ran a license check, it came back clean as a whistle.

I drove back from Boston today in almost record time - 2:03.  My record is 2:00 and the previous best time was 2:05.  Once again, I lead-footed a long drive on a weekend that supposedly has heightened enforcement, and came through unscathed.  I've been very lucky.

There was one cop driving along the Mass Pike in the right lane at about 80 for a little while.  I followed him at a discreet distance until he got off and then sped up.  I saw one person pulled over along the way.  Otherwise no visible police activity.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on December 01, 2019, 08:11:55 AM
Why were you worried about points in New York when they don't transfer over to your Connecticut license?  When I got my last ticket in New York, I checked with CT DMV before I decided whether to just pay or go to court to get it knocked down (as the cop suggested to me).  They told me it would not appear on my driving record as long as I paid it.  About 8 months later, I decided to switch insurance companies.  I had no other tickets at the time, so I told them I had no tickets, and when they ran a license check, it came back clean as a whistle.

I drove back from Boston today in almost record time - 2:03.  My record is 2:00 and the previous best time was 2:05.  Once again, I lead-footed a long drive on a weekend that supposedly has heightened enforcement, and came through unscathed.  I've been very lucky.

There was one cop driving along the Mass Pike in the right lane at about 80 for a little while.  I followed him at a discreet distance until he got off and then sped up.  I saw one person pulled over along the way.  Otherwise no visible police activity.

Haha that's great!  I love giving the finger to big brother as well. 

At the time of the ticket I got in New York, I also lived in New York.  I've been in  Connecticut for 7 years.  Prior to that New York for 8 years. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on December 01, 2019, 11:25:22 AM
Haha that's great!  I love giving the finger to big brother as well. 

At the time of the ticket I got in New York, I also lived in New York.  I've been in  Connecticut for 7 years.  Prior to that New York for 8 years.

Ok, that makes sense.   As for giving th finger to big brother - I like the way you think man.  :ohyeah:  I still find it a lot of fun to push back against rules and to risk getting caught.

Eye of the Tiger

I got pulled  by a trooper for 85 in a 60 today, in the rain. Fuck it.
My car wasn't registered. It has a Dakota plate.
Got a warning. :praise:
I will probably it slow down a bit now. I probably used up my luck for the year. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 30, 2020, 06:19:07 AM
I got pulled  by a trooper for 85 in a 60 today, in the rain. Fuck it.
My car wasn't registered. It has a Dakota plate.
Got a warning. :praise:
I will probably it slow down a bit now. I probably used up my luck for the year. :lol:

That was definitely a lucky outcome for you given the circumstances.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on April 30, 2020, 10:24:00 AM
That was definitely a lucky outcome for you given the circumstances.

I sweet talked him :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Apparently, we work on troopers' cars here. We just got two in this week.  :pullover: :pullover: :pullover: :pullover: :rockon:

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 08, 2020, 12:32:41 PM
Apparently, we work on troopers' cars here. We just got two in this week.  :pullover: :pullover: :pullover: :pullover: :rockon:

Haha, that might help if you get pulled over again.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

veeman

Drove about 8 hrs back and forth to Cleveland returning yesterday with the family to see my folks and my sister and her family who came from Chicago. The adults including me got tested for Covid prior to making the trip.  Usually I make this trip once or twice a year for last 15 years or so.  Usually keep the speed around 70 - 72 mph as there are lots of police especially in Pennsylvania and Ohio.  I drive straight across Pennsylvania and usually see 10 or so police cars on my route in the median ready to pounce. This trip I was usually going around 75 - 80 mph with several stretches hitting 90 mph and I wasn't an outlier.  I was generally moving with car traffic.  Saw one police car in the median in Pennsylvania and none in Ohio.  I wonder where are they?  Must be mostly dealing with protests, keeping the peace, I guess.     

Laconian

They're not writing enough tickets where I live. I'm on the bottom of a hill with a 35mph arterial going through. People take their fancy cars and blatty WRXes and blast up the hills at twice that speed, making a huge racket well into the wee hours of the morning.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 19, 2020, 11:11:44 AM
They're not writing enough tickets where I live. I'm on the bottom of a hill with a 35mph arterial going through. People take their fancy cars and blatty WRXes and blast up the hills at twice that speed, making a huge racket well into the wee hours of the morning.
A couple of these in strategic locations might solve the problem.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 19, 2020, 11:15:54 AM
A couple of these in strategic locations might solve the problem.

Oops, I spilled a bucket of nails.

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on June 19, 2020, 09:51:19 AM
Drove about 8 hrs back and forth to Cleveland returning yesterday with the family to see my folks and my sister and her family who came from Chicago. The adults including me got tested for Covid prior to making the trip.  Usually I make this trip once or twice a year for last 15 years or so.  Usually keep the speed around 70 - 72 mph as there are lots of police especially in Pennsylvania and Ohio.  I drive straight across Pennsylvania and usually see 10 or so police cars on my route in the median ready to pounce. This trip I was usually going around 75 - 80 mph with several stretches hitting 90 mph and I wasn't an outlier.  I was generally moving with car traffic.  Saw one police car in the median in Pennsylvania and none in Ohio.  I wonder where are they?  Must be mostly dealing with protests, keeping the peace, I guess.   

I've driven only a little bit since this COVID thing started but I have noticed that I don't see much police presence on the roads when I have driven.  Have you ever gotten nailed for speeding on that drive in all the years you have done it?

I've done numerous drives to Boston - nowhere near as long as your drive but it's 2-3 hours depending on traffic.  I'm really surprised that I have never gotten a speeding ticket on one of those drives.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on June 19, 2020, 11:11:44 AM

70 mph on a local street?!  That's insane.  :mask:

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on June 20, 2020, 01:55:45 PM
70 mph on a local street?!  That's insane.  :mask:

I know!! It's the best windy hill climb road in this area, so teenagers and stunted twentysomethings love to bomb up and down it in their LOUD cars. Imagine drive-by trombonings every five minutes from midnight to 2AM. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on June 20, 2020, 02:31:50 PM
I know!! It's the best windy hill climb road in this area, so teenagers and stunted twentysomethings love to bomb up and down it in their LOUD cars. Imagine drive-by trombonings every five minutes from midnight to 2AM. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp.

I'm surprised the police don't stake it out.  It sounds like an ongoing problem.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: dazzleman on June 21, 2020, 08:02:06 PM
I'm surprised the police don't stake it out.  It sounds like an ongoing problem.

Seattle PD don't seem to be the best...

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 22, 2020, 08:31:08 AM
Seattle PD don't seem to be the best...

Kevin is in Kirkland, not Seattle.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: dazzleman on June 22, 2020, 06:57:28 PM
Kevin is in Kirkland, not Seattle.

Ah true they have their own department.

Kevin, get out there with a hair dryer. 

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 22, 2020, 08:58:20 PM
Ah true they have their own department.

Kevin, get out there with a hair dryer. 

A hair dryer? Oh, like a fake radar gun? LOL

Maybe I could build a fake speeding camera box covered with foil and lined with hazard tape.

CaminoRacer

Laconian

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on June 20, 2020, 01:55:08 PM
I've driven only a little bit since this COVID thing started but I have noticed that I don't see much police presence on the roads when I have driven.  Have you ever gotten nailed for speeding on that drive in all the years you have done it?

I've done numerous drives to Boston - nowhere near as long as your drive but it's 2-3 hours depending on traffic.  I'm really surprised that I have never gotten a speeding ticket on one of those drives.

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.  Towards the end of the drive in northeastern ohio, the waze app directs me off the main highway through more local roads through a small town called Warren.  At least 3 times while going through Warren I've been pulled over for no good reason.  I think I know why too.  It's usually around 2 am and I'm in a large SUV with out of state plates.  Police is thinking I might be a drug runner or the car is stolen.  So then they see I'm a middle aged guy with his family in tow, make up some excuse of why they stopped me (you were following the speed limit but I notice you were weaving, or your rear license plate is illegible, or something like that) run my license through their computer, and let me go.  That's happened to me at least 3 times.  So for the last several years I don't veer from the main highway.  Outside of this last trip where non-truck traffic was going unusually fast, I don't usually go more than 10 mph above the speed limit.  Too many cops in Pennsylvania and Northeastern Ohio.

veeman

Quote from: dazzleman on June 20, 2020, 01:55:08 PM

If my memory serves me right, I think you're usually making the run early Saturday or Sunday morning.  I think that's why.  Cops are at the donut shop  :lol:  Just a hunch though. 

dazzleman

Quote from: veeman on June 30, 2020, 04:38:36 PM
If my memory serves me right, I think you're usually making the run early Saturday or Sunday morning.  I think that's why.  Cops are at the donut shop  :lol:  Just a hunch though.

I usually come home on Sunday mornings.  Sometimes they are out then, but they've always had another customer when I was going by.  Just the luck of the draw.

If I travel a little later in the day, there is enough traffic that things slow down if there is enforcement visible, so even if I had been speeding nicely. I am forced to slow down in the vicinity of enforcement.