2o6's "I've made it" car thread

Started by 2o6, February 22, 2018, 01:03:29 PM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 23, 2018, 08:23:44 AM
I agree. Just sick of the constant baseless "it's gonna blow" sporty fearmongering. Like I said above, I think the Volvo rocks for Kevin.
Hardly constant. My next car is probably going to be a BMW. Just not one with an S65/S85/N63/S63. Some girls are bigger than others. Some cars engines are more reliable than other cars engines. :huh:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Oh come on. Give me some suggestions!

12,000 RPM

Are you ready for a real suggestion?

2o6

Xer0

I still think M3 is the best choice.

Anyway, left over Chevy SS.

shp4man

I'm thinkin' totally blinged out, 22 in wheel sportin', turbocharged, rockin' sound system CR-V! Ya?  :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on February 23, 2018, 09:08:58 AM
Sure why not.
Save your money and keep the Sonic. I'd revisit this idea after you saved up a year or so worth of living expenses at the earliest, and once the Sonic is actually worth replacing ideally. You will have plenty of time to own any/all of these cars.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 23, 2018, 09:33:00 AM
Save your money and keep the Sonic. I'd revisit this idea after you saved up a year or so worth of living expenses at the earliest, and once the Sonic is actually worth replacing ideally. You will have plenty of time to own any/all of these cars.

Ya ruined it.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 2o6 on February 23, 2018, 08:53:54 AM
Oh come on. Give me some suggestions!

MINI Cabrio
Kia Soul
2 Series Cabrio
A3 Cabrio
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

If I listened to this forum, I'd still be limping along my 1996 Neon.

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 23, 2018, 09:38:19 AM

MINI Cabrio

I like the four door Mini. Not keen on a 2-door or a cabrio

Kia Soul

Hell naw.

2 Series Cabrio

Cars are emotional purchases, and the 2 series has never ignited any sort of emotions in me.

A3 Cabrio

Eh.

MexicoCityM3

MINI Clubman? That's pretty cool IMO.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on February 23, 2018, 09:35:56 AM
Ya ruined it.
It had to be said. You know I'm right.

That said, your budget sounds relatively reasonable. I still think the ATS & CSi are good choices. I also still really like the new Maxima. Probably too big for your tastes but a damn good car, CVT included.

MCM won't like this but MINIs are super unreliable. You don't want a repeat of your Focus, I wouldn't do it.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 23, 2018, 10:00:07 AM
It had to be said. You know I'm right.

That said, your budget sounds relatively reasonable. I still think the ATS & CSi are good choices. I also still really like the new Maxima. Probably too big for your tastes but a damn good car, CVT included.

MCM won't like this but MINIs are super unreliable. You don't want a repeat of your Focus, I wouldn't do it.

Thread title says "I've made it". MINI would be new, with a multiyear warranty.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

veeman

I'm thinking you want something a bit larger (but not a big car - you returned a rental Lacrosse because it was too big if I remember right).  Also a quieter, more comfortable, more refined ride.  And the interior is real important to you. The new Volvos doesn't offer a manual transmission in the U.S. as far as I know. Speed/acceleration aren't super important to you as you've never complained about the Sonic being slow and you've said in the past that a manual transmission can make lower powered cars seem a lot faster.
You still want good gas mileage.  Anyways these are my assumptions.

I'd consider a Mazda 6 or Honda Accord.  Cheap to maintain, look good, significantly better ride and quieter than the Sonic without being boats, and come with a manual. 

Or screw the manual and get a Volvo XC40 which is what you really want.

Payman

Payman

These are in Columbus...

Brand new, manual, 2017, $22,251

2017, 15,635 miles, manual, $19,023

Payman

The Subaru is at Sonic Automotive. It's a sign.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 23, 2018, 10:03:07 AM
Thread title says "I've made it". MINI would be new, with a multiyear warranty.
There is still the issue of time and hassle. Pretty much any quasi-premium hatch (Golf SEL, Forte SX, Elantra GT 1.6T, Civic Touring) is going to deliver a better ownership experience with little to no sacrifice in anything else.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 23, 2018, 10:35:01 AM
There is still the issue of time and hassle. Pretty much any quasi-premium hatch (Golf SEL, Forte SX, Elantra GT 1.6T, Civic Touring) is going to deliver a better ownership experience with little to no sacrifice in anything else.

Absolutely ridiculous. A new MINI will not fail in 3 years FFS. If what you say was anywhere near reality, BMW would be failing as a business.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Nobody said anything about it failing (whatever that means). It's just going to have a lot more problems over those 3 years than anything else in its class. But you don't get anything extra for that trouble.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 23, 2018, 10:41:32 AM
Nobody said anything about it failing (whatever that means). It's just going to have a lot more problems over those 3 years than anything else in its class. But you don't get anything extra for that trouble.

OMFG. The ignorance!

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/jd-power-2018-us-vehicle-dependability-study

Actual goddam three year study. Less problems than an Acura and a non factor. 1.4 problems per car vs 1 per car for the best in the industry.

You spew brand prejudice based on literally nothing all the time!
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

2o6

I mean, it probably would have more issues but it wouldn't stop me.

Cars are emotional, and I think sometimes y'all forget that. Spec sheets rarely impress real people in person. How does this thing make you feel?

I bought the Sonic because I liked it. I bought the Yaris because I thought it would be reliable and easy to own. I don't miss the Yaris at all.

Laconian

Regarding the thread's original premise, I think there's a major difference in priorities between "I just made it" and "I'm there and have been so for a couple years".

"I just made it" means I might be more risk averse, because my financial security is still hazy - don't know if I like the job, don't have a big slush fund in my savings, etc. I would buy a car that's less expensive, and one that's less likely to require unscheduled maintenance (however well founded that fear is).

"I'm there" gives me a clearer picture about risk tolerance and clears the way for spending more on the car, or taking a risk on a car that might be a bit more finicky, or worse residuals, etc.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 23, 2018, 10:41:32 AM

WTF, no. You sound like Char.

Laconian

And you drive a motorcycle, so your holistic perception of risk is really fucked up. ;)

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2018, 11:08:41 AM
And you drive a motorcycle, so your holistic perception of risk is really fucked up. ;)

Y'all live on a lake and go overseas all the time.  :devil:

Spending a few $$$ on transportation isn't that big of a deal.

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)