Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on September 18, 2019, 07:51:46 AM
Just imagine if it was a Lumina with a combo luggage rack/spoiler  :wub: :wub:

Eurosport!? :wub:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 18, 2019, 06:46:21 AM
There's a FB group called "underappreciated survivors" where that Tempo was posted. Pretty neat page...based on where I live and the fact that cars basically don't last (in good condition) more than 10 years, I get pretty hot and bothered when I see something from my childhood that's in excellent shape.

It's actually impossible to underappreciate a Tempo. They deserve none.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2019, 02:23:13 PM
It's actually impossible to underappreciate a Tempo. They deserve none.

As a vehicle itself, that may be the case.  But to see any vehicle of that vintage (especially one that people sent to the scrap yard without blinking) in such good shape is mind blowing.  That's the point.  Not necessarily the car itself, but the fact that it...survived.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 18, 2019, 03:13:12 PM
As a vehicle itself, that may be the case.  But to see any vehicle of that vintage (especially one that people sent to the scrap yard without blinking) in such good shape is mind blowing.  That's the point.  Not necessarily the car itself, but the fact that it...survived.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 19, 2019, 06:50:06 PM
https://www.thedrive.com/news/29942/mazda-will-restore-your-na-miata-roadster-to-factory-perfection-for-40k

That is so fucking sweet.  I'm honestly surprised that the Japanese haven't dabbled in this field more considering the Europeans are making a killing on it.  I bet people would love to get a factory refresh of their NSXs, S2Ks, Supras, GT-Rs, and all that good stuff on that side of the world.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Xer0 on September 20, 2019, 03:36:11 PM
That is so fucking sweet.  I'm honestly surprised that the Japanese haven't dabbled in this field more considering the Europeans are making a killing on it.  I bet people would love to get a factory refresh of their NSXs, S2Ks, Supras, GT-Rs, and all that good stuff on that side of the world.

Would say a factory restored GT-R still qualify for the 25 year import rule?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2019, 03:55:59 PM
Isn't that like almost twice of cost of when it was new?
Not when you factor in inflation.

My problem is $40K builds a sick project Miata. Restored NA.... or LS swapped track build? :hmm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Different strokes. I see no issue with a factory-done rebuild for $40k. That's probably what you'd spend to restore one to that level at any shop. I think it's amazing.  Not everybody sees an NA Miata and thinks "omg it needs a V8."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 20, 2019, 03:37:30 PM

It has to if it keeps the old VIN, right, eh?

MX793

In honor of my finding and making a deal on a replacement for the VW Pieceofshitta today, I took a little time to figure out my costs per mile of ownership between depreciation and repairs and how it stacks up to the other cars I've owned before.  I'm basing my repair costs mostly on memory, so they are somewhat rough numbers.  Should be close to the nearest $100.  Repairs include wear items like tires and brakes.  I looked at raw costs and I looked at costs on a per mile driven basis.

Far and away the costliest car I've owned in terms of repair costs per mile.  More than 3x my next most expensive car (inflation adjusted), which was my 240SX.  When you consider it was the highest raw repair cost and the least miles, that's not surprising.  Then I figured out annualized depreciation percentage.  I figured my Mazda, which was bought new and sold for a few hundred in scrap after 10 years would have been the loser here.  Nope.  VW was the worst here, too.

Combined depreciation and repair costs per mile was far and away worse than anything I've owned.  $0.80 per mile driven.  Next worse was my '11 Mustang, which was $0.47 per mile (pretty much all depreciation).  My Nissan, which was of similar age as the Jetta when I owned it but had way more miles on the clock, only cost me an inflation-adjusted $.016 per mile.  Even if I'd turned it in for scrap, it would have cost me 1/3 as much per mile what the VW has.

Can't wait to be rid of this turd.  Will definitely never buy another off-warranty VW product again.  Doubt I'll buy any VW product again, to be honest.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

A replacement? I thought you already had a new car? What are you replacing it with?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 20, 2019, 04:57:51 PM
It has to if it keeps the old VIN, right, eh?

I would hope so, but I don't know.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 20, 2019, 03:37:30 PM

Not sure how, but I saw 3 R34s this morning
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on September 22, 2019, 09:34:16 AM
Not sure how, but I saw 3 R34s this morning

Motorex used to federalize them for importation.  That you saw 3 of them in one place is pretty remarkable, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Yea... One has a motrex plate at least

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

afty

Apparently Motorex didn't actually federalize all the GT-Rs they imported. They got caught and shut down. The cars themselves were granted amnesty since their owners were duped into thinking they had been Federalized.

cawimmer430

For Raza. Look at the transmission:ohyeah:

Mercedes Is Asking $53k For 22,000-Mile 1982 S-Class In Showroom Condition

Many people, including yours truly, view the Bruno Sacco years as the golden age of Mercedes-Benz design.

Steering the brand's styling department from 1975 to 1999, the Italian was responsible for many timeless designs that gave the brand a coherent visual identity, including the W201 190, W124 E-Class, W126 S-Class and R129 SL convertible, to name but a few.

The W126, which was built between 1979 and 1991, happens to be my favorite S-Class generation, so coming across this stunning 280 SE that's up for sale by Mercedes itself, I had to give it a closer look.

Coming from a time when model designations actually meant something, this 1982 280 SE is powered by a 2.8-liter straight-six making 185 PS (182 hp). Mated to a four-speed manual transmission (yes, you could have a stick shift in the W126 S-Class), the six-cylinder provided respectable performance for the time, with a 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 10 seconds and a top speed of 210 km/h (130 mph).

This particular example features a Silver Distel Metallic exterior paint and a Leder Siena leather interior, as well as many amenities including heated seats, air conditioning, power sunroof, self-leveling suspension, central locking system, and more.

Here comes the best part: it only covered 36,000 kilometers (22,369 miles) from new, having spent all its life on the sunny island of Madeira, Portugal. Therefore, rust is a foreign concept for this S-Class that looks as if it has just left the showroom.

The Mercedes-Benz Museum, where the car is currently located, certifies the mileage with past invoices as well as thorough inspections and servicing undertaken by its workshop. To keep it in tip-top shape, the shop carried out many additional work and repairs, including replacing the rear silencer and the motors on the front power windows, plus maintenance of the air conditioning system.

The vehicle comes with a complete on-board folder containing the service record, owner's manual, full tool kit, the original invoice from 1982, and other documents proving its history. There's only one "problem" with this 280 SE: its €47,890 asking price, which equates to $52,700 at current exchange rates.

The price includes a final technical check with a new main inspection and exhaust emissions test, as well as a 12-month warranty. Look at it this way: given the low mileage and reliability record of the W126 S-Class, this is a car your children, and probably even grandchildren, will get to enjoy as well.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/mercedes-wants-53k-for-22000-mile-1982-s-class-in-showroom-condition/

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

FOURE SPEEDE MANUELLE!!!????!!!!!!!  :wub:

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

cawimmer430

An SUV driver getting publicly shamed in Germany. The sign basically indicates that driving an SUV is a sickness, and the sign holder is asking if this sickness can be cured.

Eco-terrorists like this make me want to buy a Ford F-650. :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_lz0diqWJU

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

So I test drove an Outback XT Onyx Edition, and sat in a limited edition in the showroom.

Pros:
- Driving dynamics way better than expected
- Ride is really nice

Neutral:
- Turbo engine was about what I expected. Definitely slower than the Accord, but fast enough I could live with it.  I don't think I could do an N/A Outback
- Infotainment was quick.  The huge screen is weird.  Lots of steps to get into the deep options, but I guess once you get those set, you don't touch them again.
- CarPlay on the giant screen is odd.  Only about 1/3 of the screen is used, but it's really high resolution.  It's probably a smaller display area than the Accord by an inch or so, but you can see so much more because of the better resolution.
- Screen gets a weird rainbow reflection at some angles with polarized sunglasses
- The vehicle is big.  Nice because there is a ton of room.
- Seats on the Limited are really nice

Cons:
- CVT is good for a CVT I guess...
- Seat material is not what I had hoped in the Onyx XT.  It's more like a wet suit, and less like Toyota's nice polyurethane seats
- Audio system is not good in the Onyx model.  6 speaker, pretty tinny
- The safety stuff is overwhelming.  It beeps a lot, and I had zero idea why.  I think I'm pretty comfortable with most modern safety tech (Accord has it all), but this was strange.  I think I could turn off the noises in the options menu, but didn't bother.  There was an odd light at the heads up display area that would flash different colors too.
- The Limited model had this awesome thigh extension that helped a lot.

My take away: I was only looking at the Onyx XT models, but I think the extra $2800 for the limited XT is probably worth it.  That would creep it up to $36k, and now we're probably more than I want to spend.

If nothing else, it really confirmed one thing to me: the driving position and ergonomics in the Accord is a total mess.  The footbox is too short for how little the steering wheel extends.  I'm 6'2", all torso, and I still can't get the wheel anywhere close enough.  The seat backs are a total trainwreck.

The Outback is nothing special, but it's a complete 180 in terms of comfort.

I'm going to test drive an AWD Mazda 3 hatchback tonight.  As much as I liked the Outback XT Limited, the Mazda would be almost $8,000 cheaper.  That's a huge difference and I don't think I need that much space.

Apparently Mazda went all in on ergonomics and seat design in this car.  I've sat in one before, and it's even nicer than the Outback I think.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

Quote from: MrH on September 24, 2019, 07:59:09 AM
So I test drove an Outback XT Onyx Edition, and sat in a limited edition in the showroom.

Pros:
- Ride is really nice

Neutral:
- Turbo engine was about what I expected. Definitely slower than the Accord, but fast enough I could live with it.  I don't think I could do an N/A Outback
- Infotainment was quick.  The huge screen is weird.  Lots of steps to get into the deep options, but I guess once you get those set, you don't touch them again.
- CarPlay on the giant screen is odd.  Only about 1/3 of the screen is used, but it's really high resolution.  It's probably a smaller display area than the Accord by an inch or so, but you can see so much more because of the better resolution.
- Screen gets a weird rainbow reflection at some angles with polarized sunglasses

Cons:
- Seat material is not what I had hoped in the Onyx XT.  It's more like a wet suit, and less like Toyota's nice polyurethane seats
- The safety stuff is overwhelming.  It beeps a lot, and I had zero idea why.  I think I'm pretty comfortable with most modern safety tech (Accord has it all), but this was strange.  I think I could turn off the noises in the options menu, but didn't bother.  There was an odd light at the heads up display area that would flash different colors too.

My take away: I was only looking at the Onyx XT models, but I think the extra $2800 for the limited XT is probably worth it.  That would creep it up to $36k, and now we're probably more than I want to spend.

If nothing else, it really confirmed one thing to me: the driving position and ergonomics in the Accord is a total mess.  The footbox is too short for how little the steering wheel extends.  I'm 6'2", all torso, and I still can't get the wheel anywhere close enough.  The seat backs are a total trainwreck.

I'm going to test drive an AWD Mazda 3 hatchback tonight.  As much as I liked the Outback XT Limited, the Mazda would be almost $8,000 cheaper.  That's a huge difference and I don't think I need that much space.

Apparently Mazda went all in on ergonomics and seat design in this car.  I've sat in one before, and it's even nicer than the Outback I think.

Its funny that you mention all of the safety systems beeping and nagging because C&Ds most recent long term update of their Ascent was all about how annoying all of the systems are.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a25735016/2019-subaru-ascent-reliability-maintenance/

I feel like even if you fall in love with the Mazda seats, you might end up being annoyed by how slow it is in comparison to the Accord.  IIRC, Mazda has no plans of dumping a turbo into that thing either.

How much do Volvo XC40s go for?  That might be a good compromise if you don't need the space.

MrH

I think they go for like $45k well equipped.  I'm not a huge fan of SUV seating positions.  It's like you're sitting on a bar stool.  Outback has your legs out in front of you more, which I like.  A V60 Polestar would be perfect, but it's almost $70k :lol:  Even a decent V60 Cross Country is about $50k.

I can get a loaded Mazda 3 hatchback for $28k.  World of difference price wise.  I don't feel too bad dumping the Accord and paying a little extra for a Mazda 3 if it means no more back issues.  I can't justify dropping $25k more
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on September 24, 2019, 07:59:09 AM

Pros:
- Ride is really nice

Neutral:

Cons:

Onyx Edition?

12,000 RPM

It's too bad modern cars put side air bags in the seats. Really kills any hope for aftermarket replacements
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs