2019 BMW 3 Series G20: This Is It!

Started by cawimmer430, October 01, 2018, 08:09:01 AM

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 02, 2018, 11:55:14 AM
Ah yes. A4 manual is dead for 2019 so all hope rests on the Genesis. We'll see....

Says someone who hasn't bought a manual in years (decades?).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 02, 2018, 12:45:56 PM
Says someone who hasn't bought a manual in years (decades?).
I sold the Civic last year (1 year ago) :confused:

And didn't you just buy an automatic? :hmm:

Quote from: MrH on October 02, 2018, 01:17:03 PM
ROASTED :lol:
How? Even when I had manual cars I thought all the  :vapors: over them was silly. My mom can drive stick. There are other ways to engage with a car than grabbing a big knob erecting out of the center console.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 02, 2018, 01:21:28 PM
I sold the Civic last year (1 year ago) :confused:

Selling is not the same as buying.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 02, 2018, 01:21:28 PM
And didn't you just buy an automatic? :hmm:

Yes. I am not complaining about no manuals in the entry 3ers however. That has been the case in Mexico for more than 10 years already.

Since you asked, this being my first modern DCT gearbox I am in awe of the speed and the smoothness of the shifts. I know the tech isn't that new but it definitely is new to me. The M3 is so fast and savage that I am not currently missing the manual. But I do enjoy it in the cars that have it.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

2o6

I love grabbing big knobs.

Wait, what?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 02, 2018, 01:29:52 PM
Selling is not the same as buying.
Well it definitely hasn't been "decades".

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 02, 2018, 01:29:52 PMYes. I am not complaining about no manuals in the entry 3ers however.
I'm not either, which makes your "burn" silly. Stop being so sensitive about BMW.

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 02, 2018, 01:29:52 PMSince you asked, this being my first modern DCT gearbox I am in awe of the speed and the smoothness of the shifts. I know the tech isn't that new but it definitely is new to me. The M3 is so fast and savage that I am not currently missing the manual. But I do enjoy it in the cars that have it.
Which is why the manual is dying. Which is OK :huh:

Morris Minor

Manuals really only make sense now for weekend & open road entertainment. As daily commuters that sit in rush-hour gridlock two hours a day, they're horrible. Also, with modern automatics, the fuel economy advantage that manuals had is just about gone.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

12,000 RPM

Electrification, which will become more and more key for increasingly stringent global FE/emissions regs, is also way easier with automatic transmissions.

Xer0

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 03, 2018, 01:46:56 PM
Manuals really only make sense now for weekend & open road entertainment. As daily commuters that sit in rush-hour gridlock two hours a day, they're horrible. Also, with modern automatics, the fuel economy advantage that manuals had is just about gone.

My morning commute is an hour each way through Chicago's annoyingly packed and always under construction roads.  Driving a manual is really not that much more inconvenient than an auto, imo.  And modern manuals alleviate some of the tedium with hill holds and rev matching and all that jazz.  I think manuals are mostly screwed now because they offer no objective advantage over an auto; they aren't faster, they aren't cheaper, they aren't more fuel efficient, and they aren't more comfortable.  Really, the only reason to get one now is subjective.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 03, 2018, 01:46:56 PM

I mean, sitting in rush hour traffic for 2 hours itself is horrible. IME having a manual or not has never bothered me when I had to deal with a lousy commute. It is basically second nature for me. I actually feel awkward using an automatic on the rare occasions I have a car with one.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Xer0 on October 03, 2018, 02:01:40 PM
My morning commute is an hour each way through Chicago's annoyingly packed and always under construction roads.  Driving a manual is really not that much more inconvenient than an auto, imo.  And modern manuals alleviate some of the tedium with hill holds and rev matching and all that jazz.  I think manuals are mostly screwed now because they offer no objective advantage over an auto; they aren't faster, they aren't cheaper, they aren't more fuel efficient, and they aren't more comfortable.  Really, the only reason to get one now is subjective.

+1 to everything here.

12,000 RPM

I remember my right leg getting more sore in traffic than my left when I drove stick so maybe the traffic thing is overblown.

But yea, it's purely subjective now.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on October 02, 2018, 10:57:35 AM
It is difficult to find any pictures of it, since BMW is only showing highly optioned versions, but you can see the standard gauges in the configurator. I think the center part of the gauges is digital.

My thinking was the those circular plastic decorators were real, but the speedometer information inside them is digital. We'll see when we get to see the car in person, which in my case will be soon!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

BMW Exec Implies There Won't Be A Next-Gen 3-Series GT

In an interview during the 2018 Paris Motor Show, BMW global development boss Klaus Frohlich admitted that the new X1 and X3 would make a next-gen 3-Series GT useless.

Speaking with Aussie outlet Motoring, Frohlich implied that the G20-generation 3-Series won't spawn a Gran Turismo version, which is good news only for those who felt as though the 3 GT was never a proper BMW to begin with. Others however appreciated just how practical it was.

"Things are changing," said Frohlich during the interview. "When we did the GT we saw that in demographic change people want to sit a little more upright. But then you saw the X1 and X3 you can sit upright and you feel younger."

"So this segment is under pressure from SUVs, which are having no disadvantage in fuel consumption or in ride and handling. Segments are growing and shrinking and you have to always be careful. Some cars we will always try and this doesn't mean they have to be proceeded with."

The BMW exec concluded by saying that there are already seven or eight 3 and 4 Series derivatives and that "you can do 10 derivatives but you will not sell more."

The 3-Series GT was initially launched back in 2013, based on the chassis used by the Chinese-market LWB sedan version of the 3-Series. Therefore, it had a longer wheelbase than the F31 Touring, a higher roof and increased overall width, allowing for three full-size adults to fit comfortably in the back.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/bmw-exec-implies-wont-next-gen-3-series-gt/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

That's logical. I however always liked the 5er now 6er GT. Albeit in the same way that Sporty likes manuals.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Looking forward to see what the next 4GC looks like

Xer0

BMW recently unveiled a Hi-Po 2.0T for use in the FWD based M performance models with like 300hp.  It would be awesome if they put that engine in the new 3er with a manual and a decent suspension.  Automotive Christmas land can be a lot of fun sometimes.

12,000 RPM

Would much rather a limited run of 3.0L NA 6s

In fact those should be the only engines with stickshift cars, since stickshift is basically a whole new model anyway. They'd become instant classics so lease residuals would be plump. And they would sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSBxCLGeAok&t=40s

instead of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBxpWKKee0Q&t=70s

r0tor

Yea... BMW needs to go back to NA inline 6s or at least have a damn option
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Xer0

I mean, I would love a singing NA I6, but I'm trying to be semi reasonable in my auto Christmas-land wish list.

r0tor

Reviews are out all over the place... Thought this one sums things up nicely
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/297249/2019-bmw-3-series-first-drive/

It's a solid effort but it's trying too hard to do too much - therefore it's not the best at anything.  The improved dynamics are being lost in a swath of half baked and completely unneeded tech.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Dont know what else they could do. Cant sacrifice anything for dynamics... that's how the ATS bombed. Can't be less techy than a mainstreamer, even though mainstreamers are pretty damn techy- and in contrast to lux brands techy in a way that's actually usable on the road. What's really left? Outside of loving the brand, AWD, or virtue signaling (i.e. "I care about driving") I feel like the poser class has never been a harder sell.

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2018, 12:46:21 PM
Dont know what else they could do. Cant sacrifice anything for dynamics... that's how the ATS bombed.

Apparently they did though. The new 3er supposedly has a suspension that is noticeable harsher across the board in order to get driving dynamics up. BMW explained that the more comfort oriented buyers will go for the X3 anyways.

GoCougs

The 3er will always be successful (in sales) because it's a 3er. Nothing more. New car buyers have NEVER cared for "dynamics" no matter the class.

That virtual assistant looks like a nightmare. What a joke new cars are becoming. NOBODY wants this tech.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 14, 2018, 01:04:46 PM
New car buyers have NEVER cared for "dynamics" no matter the class.

I disagree with that. Someone people will even buy a car because of perceived dynamics. It has gotten better in recent years, but in the mid 2010s some cars - e.g.: some Audis with the sport suspension, some Jaguars - had suspensions that were brutally hard, to the point where the car actually had poor performance because the tires lost traction when driven hard because the suspension could not absorb impacts, but many people liked them because it "feels" sporty. Also look at the tires packages people buy. Many have 21, 22 inch tires because it is perceived a "race car". The Viper ACR set it's lap records with 19 inch tires. 21 inch would not absorb impacts enough, leading to catapulting.

r0tor

... I thought I bought my car based on dynamics...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on December 14, 2018, 02:13:25 PM
... I thought I bought my car based on dynamics...
It's a step back in dynamics and engagement from the RX-8, so that couldn't be the reason.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on December 14, 2018, 01:38:25 PM
I disagree with that. Someone people will even buy a car because of perceived dynamics. It has gotten better in recent years, but in the mid 2010s some cars - e.g.: some Audis with the sport suspension, some Jaguars - had suspensions that were brutally hard, to the point where the car actually had poor performance because the tires lost traction when driven hard because the suspension could not absorb impacts, but many people liked them because it "feels" sporty. Also look at the tires packages people buy. Many have 21, 22 inch tires because it is perceived a "race car". The Viper ACR set it's lap records with 19 inch tires. 21 inch would not absorb impacts enough, leading to catapulting.
I would argue those ridiculous suspension and tire packages helped accelerate the demise of the sedan. I'd say my G and Z rode about the same. Down here they are for but comfortable. I took the Z up north once... It was horrible. It could not deal with NYC roads. Non sorry crossovers on high profile tires probably rode like old Cadillacs by comparison. And don't lunch wheels.

Laconian

Autocorrect really went to town on that post @_@
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2018, 08:52:21 PM
It's a step back in dynamics and engagement from the RX-8, so that couldn't be the reason.

I wouldn't say that... Longer wheelbase obviously changes the playfulness and nothing beats hydraulic steering , but the front end of the Giulia and range of comfort/control is definitely better.