Next Lexus IS Might Get Supra’s BMW-Sourced Straight Six

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2019, 07:52:52 AM

cawimmer430

:popcorn:

Next Lexus IS Might Get Supra's BMW-Sourced Straight Six

If we were to believe the latest rumors, it seems that the next-generation Lexus IS could be powered by the same BMW-developed 3.0-liter turbocharged straight-six as the brand new Supra.
Japan's Best Car magazine broke the news, and while it remains to be seen if it's true or not, it wouldn't be all that surprising. After all, both the BMW M340i and BMW Z4 M40i are powered by the same B58 engine as the Supra, but the German models get a healthy 382 hp while the Supra has to make do with 335 hp.

The Supra engine won't be the only powertrain allegedly offered in the next-generation Lexus IS. In fact, the Japanese report claims that buyers will also have the choice of a 2.0-liter turbo, a 2.4-liter turbo, and a 2.5-liter hybrid.

That's not all. The IS F could make a comeback in the model's next generation and make use of the twin-turbo V6 from the LS 500 sedan. In its current form, this twin-turbo V6 delivers 416 hp, the same amount as the old, naturally aspirated V8 IS F. Lexus engineers could almost certainly tweak the LS 500's engine for use in the IS F to give it a little more character and power.

Beyond its engines, the new IS will probably be similar in size to the current car but weigh considerably less, tipping the scales at around 3395 lbs (1539 kg) in base specification. By comparison, the outgoing IS weighs roughly 3737 lbs (1695 kg), making it heavier than its German rivals. Lexus is expected to unveil the next-generation IS in 2021 before it goes on sale for the 2022 model year.

Carscoops has reached out to Lexus to find out more about the next-gen IS, so stay tuned as the story will be updated once we get a response.

Update: In an email to Carscoops, Lexus said that it can't comment on reports about future products.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/next-lexus-might-get-supras-bmw-sourced-straight-six/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Meh on this. Toyota has a perfectly good brand new V6-TT and V6 hybrid system. B58 isn't a bad engine but it's hardly starved for cars to go into
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

I wonder if this is just to save development costs? It seems to me the inline 6 engine design has a fan base.
The Japanese have designed some good ones in the past.

SJ_GTI

This makes sense to me if their current V6 production is maxed out and the extra volume from an IS V6 isn't enough to justify investment in new production lines, hence it makes more sense to outsource production of that limited volume.

Otherwise agree with the above, Toyota's V6 seems more than capable of filling this niche.

CALL_911

Sounds silly

When I saw this on the homepage, I saw Next Lexus IS.... and immediately thought that would be followed with a FWD announcement. TG

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

Does Toyota even produce an inline-6 anymore?

I thought enthusiasts prefer an inline-6 to a V6, and maybe that's on Toyota's mind as well, hence their choice for a BMW inline-6. Not many choices when it comes to inline-6s. Who still makes them? BMW and Mercedes come to mind.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

99.9% of Toyota fanboys would choose a Toyota V6 over a BMW I6 to have in their Toyota/Lexus. But fanboys don't buy new cars, by and large.

Seems like a really bad idea - technical, business, reputation/legacy.

GoCougs

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 21, 2019, 08:57:54 AM
This makes sense to me if their current V6 production is maxed out and the extra volume from an IS V6 isn't enough to justify investment in new production lines, hence it makes more sense to outsource production of that limited volume.

Otherwise agree with the above, Toyota's V6 seems more than capable of filling this niche.

Pretty much no automaker is going to retool their new car to accept another automaker's engine because of lack of capacity. Vastly cheaper to just scale engine production.

12,000 RPM

Yea, think about all the hurdles of compatibility. Crash regs, electronic integration, fleet emissions....

Maybe the new 3 series' rear end was a foreshadowing:

But Toyota just developed an all new RWD platform and engines. Are they really going to limit them to the low volume LS/LC and rumored flagship crossover? Who's in charge here?

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on February 21, 2019, 01:13:41 PM
Pretty much no automaker is going to retool their new car to accept another automaker's engine because of lack of capacity. Vastly cheaper to just scale engine production.

Unless the next IS is a BMW 3 Series.

BimmerM3

Meh, just a random rumor. Let me know when this is from an official source.

GoCougs

Xer0

Quote from: Galaxy on February 21, 2019, 01:18:38 PM
Unless the next IS is a BMW 3 Series.

Whoa, that would be a hell of a bombshell and would actually make sense after the Supra.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 21, 2019, 01:34:36 PM
Sweet Jesus you just might have a point.

But then BMW would have to retool the 3er to accept the Toyota engines (assuming that part of the report is also accurate).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 21, 2019, 01:38:33 PM
But then BMW would have to retool the 3er to accept the Toyota engines (assuming that part of the report is also accurate).
No

FR-S has a Subaru engine
Supra has a BMW engine

Toyota might just be like  :huh: on developing low volume medium margin shit... IS def fits that bill

Laconian

Cars are turning into combination Pizza Huts and Taco Bells.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

By 2032 all restaurants will be Taco Bells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiDoOgRTpk

(They'll be branded Pizza Hut overseas.)

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 21, 2019, 01:46:18 PM
No

FR-S has a Subaru engine
Supra has a BMW engine

Toyota might just be like  :huh: on developing low volume medium margin shit... IS def fits that bill

What does the FR-S have anything to do with this?

According to that report, the next IS will have at least one BMW engine and at least one Toyota engine available. If Toyota would have to reengineer the IS to accept a BMW engine, it stands to reason that BMW would have to reengineer the 3er to accept the Toyota engines.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2019, 03:07:57 PM
Cars are turning into combination Pizza Huts and Taco Bells.

Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the franchise wars. Now all restaurants are Taco Bell.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on February 21, 2019, 01:08:24 PM
99.9% of Toyota fanboys would choose a Toyota V6 over a BMW I6 to have in their Toyota/Lexus. But fanboys don't buy new cars, by and large.

Seems like a really bad idea - technical, business, reputation/legacy.

I don't think the IS, other than the original Altezza, has much of a fanboy following.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 02, 2019, 12:01:22 PM
The inline 6 is just a better engine design

Yes on paper

In real life a Toyota V6 is a much better ownership proposition than a BMW I6

r0tor

There is nothing wrong with the current bmw i6 engines
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 02, 2019, 07:48:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with the current bmw i6 engines
Never said otherwise, they are BMW's most reliable engines

But would you trust one over a Toyota V6 for the next 5-10 years? There's nothing inherently more reliable about an I6 over a V6... especially a turbo I6 vs an NA V6

r0tor

I don't see these engines having an issue and don't see Toyota risking their credibility on a bad engine.

The I6 will sound better, feel better, and have shit tons of power.  If you have access to it, why not use it.

12,000 RPM

Because you're Toyota and you already have a brand new V6TT making shitloads of power, for a brand new RWD platform you made.

r0tor

GoCougs

V6 is a better motor than the I6, and Toyota has almost always built a better motor (reliability, durability, longevity) than BMW (or any other German automaker for that matter).

The devil is the details. The detriments to the inline engine are in length - crankshaft, camshaft and engine block are longer and have to be relatively heavier as a result. Other non-load bearing elements are heavier too as lost is the economies of geometry in parts such as the intake manifold to oil pan. This all usually results in a bit heavier engine per unit of displacement. Length of course is also an issue with packaging in the car. US and Japanese automakers had to dump the I6 as the transition to FWD hit full swing. The V6 does have more parts - double the camshafts and associated drive gear, balance shafts, etc., but on balance, especially in situ, the V6 is the better engine (and the V8 is the best engine of all).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 02, 2019, 08:50:44 PM
and yet I6 > V6 in basically every way
Which is why the Japanese, the best engine designers and builders on Earth, have abandoned it en masse?

And BMW spent much of the last 30 years fucking them up in one way or another?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 02, 2019, 07:55:16 PM
Never said otherwise, they are BMW's most reliable engines

But would you trust one over a Toyota V6 for the next 5-10 years? There's nothing inherently more reliable about an I6 over a V6... especially a turbo I6 vs an NA V6
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide