Top 5: The Most Special BMW 3-Series That Are Not M3s

Started by cawimmer430, March 31, 2019, 02:03:33 PM

cawimmer430

Top 5: The Most Special BMW 3-Series That Are Not M3s

With the latest BMW M340i (temporarily) holding the title of the all-new 3-Series flagship, it's probably a good time to remind ourselves some of the most special variants of the core Bavarian model throughout the years this side of an M3.

You see, every time BMW launches a new M3, it understandably overshadows the rest of the range. This doesn't mean that the regular 3-Series didn't have its brilliant moments, as there were variants that simply took advantage of their inherent chassis balance either with the right suspension tweaks, a more powerful engine, or both.

And while the M3 remained the undisputed king since the launch of the original homologation special, these lesser models still managed to offer a pretty special driving experience.

Without a further ado, let's take a look at some of the best 3-Series models that didn't wear the full M3 badge.

E30 320is | 1987

We kick off with a pretty special car, the E30 320is. BMW created this variant exclusively for Italy and Portugal in order to beat the local tax systems that punished cars with engines bigger than 2 liters.

Under the bonnet lived a de-stroked version of the S14 engine found in the E30 M3 with a displacement of 1,990cc and paired to the same dog-leg Getrag transmission. Power was set at 189hp (192PS) and 155lb-ft (210Nm) of torque, slightly down compared to the non-catalytic Euro-spec E30 M3's 197hp (200PS) and 176lb-ft (238Nm).

The chassis featured tighter springs, dampers and anti-roll bars while the brakes were shared with the six-cylinder variants. Of course it wasn't as buttoned down as the special E30 M3, but it was 109kg (242lbs) lighter. Two-door versionscame fitted with the M-Technic II bodykit, though the four-door sedan 320is models were visually indistinguishable from any other non-M E30.

E36 325is M-Technic | 1994

In 1994 BMW wanted to offer a sportier version of the E36 Coupe to its customers in USA as a stop-gap solution before the US-spec E36 M3 arrived in 1995. This is how the 325is M-Technic was born.

The car featured almost the full M3 exterior agenda, from the deep side skirts to the bumpers and from the Euro-spec twin-stalk door mirrors to special "BMW Motorsport" engraved door handles. All cars were finished in Alpine White over a cloth interior.

The chassis retained the standard track widths of the regular 325 but it featured stiffer dampers, thicker anti-roll bars, a limited-slip differential and a set of 17-inch BBS alloy wheels. The powertrain remained stock, meaning a 2.5-liter straight-six with 189hp and 181lb-ft (245Nm) of torque paired to a five-speed manual transmission. It's believed that BMW USA sold less than 200 examples of the 325is M-Technic.

European customers got a similar deal from BMW with the E36 Clubsport. The version was available with all the six-cylinder powertrains under the M3, including the 320, the 323 and the 328.

E46 330Ci Clubsport | 2002

The E46 generation of the 3-Series was proven a mega hit in the market, spearheaded by the M3 of that era. The Euro-only Clubsport model was based on the 330Ci and was positioned between the 330Ci Sport and the M3.

The chassis of the E46 330Ci Clubsport featured a sports suspension and an exclusive set of 18-inch double-spoke alloy wheels, while BMW also removed 20kg (44lbs) of insulation material to save some weight and enhance the engine's soundtrack.

The 3.0-liter straight-six produced 228hp (231PS) and 221lb-ft (300Nm) of torque and was paired to a six-speed manual transmission operated by a shortened 'M' gear lever. The cabin was dressed in a leather/Alcantara combo and featured special aluminum trim.

The exterior of the Clubsport is directly identified by the fixed rear spoiler and the aforementioned 18-inch rims, while customers could only choose between three colors, that is Titanium Silver and BMW Individual's Estoril Blue and Velvet Blue.

While this version of the E46 3-Series was never offered in North America, customers did get the ZHP option package for the 330, which included a lowered and beefier suspension, an extra 10hp and a shorter final gear ratio over the standard model, extra bracing and more.

E90 335d | 2007

We can't put a list of the most special 3-Series models and not include one of the very impressive diesel-powered versions; our pick here is the 2007 335d, which was the first 3-Series to get BMW's punchy twin-turbo, 3.0-liter six-cylinder oil burner.

U.S.-spec versions came with "just" 265hp, but those in Europe had 286hp and 427lb-ft (580Nm) of torque, the latter available from just 1,750rpm. That's a lot of power, especially for a normal 3-Series, and the fact that the engine produced that grunt very linearly made the 335d even more impressive at covering ground fast.

Turning the electronic nannies off turned the 335d into a burnout machine, evaporating the rear tires in the blink of an eye, while under normal driving conditions the fuel economy was vastly better than its petrol-powered 335i counterpart. BMW didn't offer a manual transmission with the 335d, but with so much torque on tap, you simply didn't care.

F30 340i M Power Kit | 2016

The 340i is the only petrol six-cylinder version of the regular F30 3-Series, and as such it makes it in our list. Pre-facelift, 335i models were powered by the 302hp N55 3.0-liter, while the facelifted 340i models got the newer B58 engine producing 322hp.

Early 335is are capable of a 0-62mph (100km/h) in 5.5 seconds, while the more powerful 340i dropped that figure to 5.2 seconds. That's some serious straight-line performance figures, especially for a non-M 3-Series; however, for those wanting more out of their 340i, BMW M Performance launched the "Power and Sound Kit".

The kit was available to all BMW models fitted with the B58 engine, raising power from 322hp to 355hp and torque from 331lb-ft (450Nm) to 368lb-ft (500Nm) thanks to a software upgrade and a new exhaust system. 0-62mph (100km/h) came in 5 seconds flat for the 340i M Performance.

Of course the list with the special 3-Series versions could go on, including models like the E21 323i, the E90 320is and more, but this is a top 5, and we picked the ones that we think stood out the most. Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/top-5-the-most-special-bmw-3-series-that-are-not-m3s/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs