The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

Morris Minor

I've had one of these knocking around, unopened, in my garage for months. Yesterday I finally broke it open and went to work on the insides of my wife's car's windows. They'd been pretty badly filmed-over. It works really well and is terrific at getting into the far reaches of low-angled front & rear windows. Recommended (never thought I'd say that about a "But Wait!!!" TV product).

https://www.buywindshieldwonder.tv

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

:ohyeah:

Those type of window cleaners have been around for a while until someone decided to make mad $$$$$$$$$$$ by making it an As Seen On TV product. :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 07, 2010, 02:15:40 PM
For cleaning the windows glass exteriors, I like to hand wash then clean off remaining gunk with a 0000 steel wool pad soaked in a glass cleaner. Then dry it and polish with a microfiber towel. I never hesitate to use Rain-X on the side and rear windows (I think it's a good safety measure for dark rainy nights) but am a little hesitant to use it on the windshield itself; I've found in the past that it causes smearing with the wipers. Maybe they've reformulated the stuff and I should give it another try. Thoughts?

Holy thread bump, but I was in a similar situation, having used Rain-X on the windshield and not happy with the smearing, etc.

I've switched to Stoner Invisible Glass, and never looked back.  Can't say anything bad about it.  Easy to apply, last longer than Rain-X, zero streaks or smearing.  Lost a high speed windshield wiper chatter too.  I highly recommend it.

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

giant_mtb

Rain-X suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

CJ

It's great for windows that aren't the front windshield.  Rear windows with a wiper are fine with Rain-X, I've found.  As long as it's not on the front windshield.

Rupert

What can you do for a badly cracked-from-sun/heat dashboard? Obviously not get rid of the cracks, but what about keeping them from spreading too much?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 08, 2011, 06:45:49 PM
Rain-X suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
Rain-X works exactly as advertised if applied to a clean and dry windshield.

My problem with R-X is that it seems to have a chemical reaction to the rubber wipers and seems to cut their life shorter by a ton. 

Also, it only lasts for a couple car washes.

I just use the polish I am already using and have in my hand for the paint on the windshield.  Works pretty well and has no ill-effects on the wiper blades.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on March 19, 2011, 11:08:11 PM
What can you do for a badly cracked-from-sun/heat dashboard? Obviously not get rid of the cracks, but what about keeping them from spreading too much?
Buy a new dash. 

:huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on March 20, 2011, 08:26:50 AM
Buy a new dash. 

:huh:

Quote from: Rupert on March 19, 2011, 11:08:11 PM
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

What sort of material is it?  If it's a plastic, you're pretty much out of luck short of duct tape or glue. :lol:

Rupert

Uh, it's that padded rubbery stuff, I think.

giant_mtb

Well, there's really not a whole lot you can do and products aren't going to work miracles to prevent further cracking, but you can always try a product like that 303 Aerospace protectant that hounddog posted about.  Keeping the dash moisturized and protected will be the key to preventing it from drying out more and cracking.

Not much else you can do, unfortunately.

Morris Minor

Eventually the UV beats down the dash, window surrounds etc. & dries them out so that they crack. You can stave off the day with garages, tint film & sunshades for the windshields, but once they're gone, that's it.

I know there are some vinyl protectant products out there, but I don't know the good ones, and am fearful of ending up with a high gloss sheen - yuk.

Morris Minor

I was cleaning out the inside of my car the other day. I threw out dozens of paper napkins and tissues that had been stuffed in to the door pockets. Pulling them out kicked up clouds of paper fiber dust, easy to see in the low-angled sunlight. So if your car's interior gets really dusty, those McDonald's napkins may be the culprits.

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on March 20, 2011, 02:20:36 PM

You know, I remember using clear nail polish n that sort of thing back when I was a kid.

Seems like it worked pretty well.  Heck, we put a very small hole in the boat top once a couple years ago and Kat put clear nail polish on the bottom and top of the boat top and it never leaked until we got it into the canvas shop.

Could give that a try. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Mustangfan2003

Yesterday I got some Surf City car wash and leather cleaner for half off.  Look forward to seeing how it does when the weather clears up. 

Byteme

There used to be a company that made replacement covers for dash tops, they were thin hard plastic and glued over the existing cracked dash top.  Not a perfect solution but they looked better than a cracked dash. I have no idea if they are still in business making covers.  Try some creative googling. 

giant_mtb

I've seen those, too.  Often have a carpeted surface and are pre-fabbed to fit the dash.  I'm not a fan of them.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Byteme

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 04, 2011, 10:30:23 AM
I've seen those, too.  Often have a carpeted surface and are pre-fabbed to fit the dash.  I'm not a fan of them.

No, the one's I was referring to were plastic and mimicked the finish of the dash surface. 

Ah ha.  They still make them.  See:  http://www.americandashcaps.com/?gclid=COaez8m0g6gCFQmt7QodGCR4qA

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

Quote from: EtypeJohn on April 04, 2011, 11:43:47 AM
No, the one's I was referring to were plastic and mimicked the finish of the dash surface. 

Ah ha.  They still make them.  See:  http://www.americandashcaps.com/?gclid=COaez8m0g6gCFQmt7QodGCR4qA

Ahhh, gotcha! :ohyeah:

Definitely much classier than those silly clothy/carpety things!

Mustangfan2003

My Benz needs a new dash but not going to get one of these goofy things. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on April 04, 2011, 12:31:44 PM
My Benz needs a new dash but not going to get one of these goofy things. 

Fill in the cracks and FLOCK IT!

Mustangfan2003

I'll likely replace it after I get all the other bugs fixed. 

Rupert

Quote from: EtypeJohn on April 04, 2011, 11:43:47 AM

There is one for the 944, but I think I'll wait until I'm already ready to just replace the whole dash, and then try this first. :lol:

Mustangfan2003

Picked some of this stuff up for just a nickle a bottle, price on their web site is $15

not tried their leather clean but they make some really good stuff for chrome. 

giant_mtb

Mustangfan2003

Yep, it was being discontinued at Advance Auto and that is what it rang up so I got the 3 bottles left and one bottle of wax too.