***My New Car! It's FINALLY here!***

Started by cawimmer430, November 27, 2018, 09:56:28 AM

cawimmer430

I feel like I am driving a Nissan "Playstation" GT-R...  :tounge:

It's really fun to watch these values go up and down (or remain stable): kW (horsepower), torque, battery voltage and what I assume is turbo boost pressue (kPa).

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on November 30, 2018, 12:29:43 PM
I personally don't want my car having any network ability... Without some kind of well established/tested standard existing, who knows what security holes exist.

In Europe this fear has now been taken care off with the introduction of GDPR. They're ruthless about that here.

The companies handling your data have to provide transparency to you and other customers. You as the consumer now have the right and power to decide who handles your data, for how long and what to do with it etc.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 29, 2018, 04:23:15 PM
Presumably, it only talks to other MBs.
Quote from: MrH on November 30, 2018, 10:49:23 AM
This is like more advanced Waze.  But until you get the entire industry on a standard, Waze will be better and faster.

At least for Europe it is the defacto standard, and the EU has reserved the 5.9GHz frequency for this.

Companies which are onboard are: VW Group, BMW, Daimler, Peugeot/Citroen, Renault, and Volvo. Missing are the American, and Asian companies, as well as some such as Jaguar/Land Rover. VW Group is starting the roll out across all brands in 2019, not sure about the others. 

Suppliers: Bosch, Denso, NEC, Continental, Swarco, and Siemens, probably more

In terms of infrastructure providers currently the national road operators of Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Slovenia, Sweden, and the United Kingdom are signed up.

The focus will be on heavily traveled roads first such as the 1.100km stretch of road from Rotterdam through Germany to Vienna.

The Germany state of Hesse is already using car to x on road construction sites.

Obviously this is a project with a very long time frame to become mainstream.

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 30, 2018, 01:38:25 PM
In Europe this fear has now been taken care off with the introduction of GDPR. They're ruthless about that here.

The companies handling your data have to provide transparency to you and other customers. You as the consumer now have the right and power to decide who handles your data, for how long and what to do with it etc.

LOL. I think r0t0r is afraid of malicious third parties hacking the wireless protocol and gaining access to the CAN bus and so forth. GDPR only applies to lawful entities. Criminals don't give a shit.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on November 30, 2018, 05:25:00 PM
LOL. I think r0t0r is afraid of malicious third parties hacking the wireless protocol and gaining access to the CAN bus and so forth.

Yea, this
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Great looking car both interior and exterior!  The white color looks very very good.  Hatch much better than the sedan.  Congratulations! 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on November 30, 2018, 05:25:00 PM
LOL. I think r0t0r is afraid of malicious third parties hacking the wireless protocol and gaining access to the CAN bus and so forth. GDPR only applies to lawful entities. Criminals don't give a shit.

Ah yes, those are the folks who piss on GDPR, and won't get punished. But GDPR, especially in Germany, aims to punish website owners, Facebook business page owners etc. for the slightest infractions... ugh...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on December 02, 2018, 05:45:39 AM
Great looking car both interior and exterior!  The white color looks very very good.  Hatch much better than the sedan.  Congratulations! 

Thanks! ;)

I'm loving it so far. Had it up to 210 km/h on the Autobahn earlier (no kickdown, just smooth acceleration), and you can tell this engine is eager and powerful. I am once again amazed at the refinement. There is no turbo lag and the engine feels like a 6-cylinder: it's that smooth.

I'm on another forum and a BMW 330ci owner bought a new Skoda Rapid for his family, and he is impressed with the refinement of the 4-cylinder engine in that Skoda. He also made a statement that the smoothness and NVH levels are incredible and on the same level of the inline-6 in his BMW.

But yeah, I really love the car. And yes, the hatchback is so much better-looking than the sedan. The A-Class Sedan should be the new CLA - not sure why they are offering both the A-Class Sedan and a new CLA...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 03, 2018, 05:43:56 AM
Thanks! ;)

I'm loving it so far. Had it up to 210 km/h on the Autobahn earlier (no kickdown, just smooth acceleration), and you can tell this engine is eager and powerful. I am once again amazed at the refinement. There is no turbo lag and the engine feels like a 6-cylinder: it's that smooth.

I'm on another forum and a BMW 330ci owner bought a new Skoda Rapid for his family, and he is impressed with the refinement of the 4-cylinder engine in that Skoda. He also made a statement that the smoothness and NVH levels are incredible and on the same level of the inline-6 in his BMW.

But yeah, I really love the car. And yes, the hatchback is so much better-looking than the sedan. The A-Class Sedan should be the new CLA - not sure why they are offering both the A-Class Sedan and a new CLA...

Only 210? Pfffffff. My 86 Ranger could do 210 if the speedometer read that high.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 03, 2018, 05:40:22 AM
Ah yes, those are the folks who piss on GDPR, and won't get punished. But GDPR, especially in Germany, aims to punish website owners, Facebook business page owners etc. for the slightest infractions... ugh...

No I mean like hacking the wireless protocol and shutting your car off
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on December 03, 2018, 08:04:25 AM

Locking you inside and ransoming you for Bitcoin while autodrives off a pier :lol:

The MMI flashes "WHERE'S YOUR PRECIOUS GDPR NOW, CHRISTIAN?"

RomanChariot

Autodriving cars should open a new world for car thieves. Remotely hack into the car and program it to deliver itself to the chop shop.

Morris Minor

Late to this, but congratulations on the new car and many thanks for doing such a great job chronicling it. Your enthusiasm is infectious!
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

cawimmer430

Whoa, encountered my car's twin! This was also an A250 AMG Line:rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 03, 2018, 07:56:43 AM
Only 210? Pfffffff. My 86 Ranger could do 210 if the speedometer read that high.

I'll go faster if conditions allow.  :praise:

I'm still taking it easy but I am now over 1000 km and I'm gonna really push the car when I get an opportunity.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on December 03, 2018, 08:04:25 AM

Yeah, that's an issue. I wonder if this is something that affects ALL modern cars. Wasn't some basic "low tech" Chrysler minivan hacked many years ago?

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2018, 12:32:17 PM
Locking you inside and ransoming you for Bitcoin while autodrives off a pier :lol:

The MMI flashes "WHERE'S YOUR PRECIOUS GDPR NOW, CHRISTIAN?"

Haha, I never wanted GDPR, especially in its current form which is so poorly thought out. As predicted all of Europe doesn't give a shit except Germany...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 04, 2018, 01:03:56 PM
Late to this, but congratulations on the new car and many thanks for doing such a great job chronicling it. Your enthusiasm is infectious!

Thank you!  :cheers:

I'm really enjoying my new ride. This car has completely surpassed my expectations and it's even fun to drive. The engine is super smooth and eager and quite fuel efficient (the 7-DCT always keeps the engine at around 1100 RPM during normal city driving).

There are a few things which could have been designed better (rear window wiper controls for example) and the white body paint gets visibly dirty really quickly, but other than that I love the car.

Some smartphone snapshots I took today after professionally shooting it with my DSLR and some lights:ohyeah:

Low down shot...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on December 05, 2018, 02:11:01 PM
Trade this thing in for the A35 already:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-mercedes-amg-a35-hatchback-drive

:lol:

Car and Driver has geo blocked Europe because of GDPR... I can't view the link.  :cry:

But one of my favorite Youtube car reviewers drove the A35 AMG in Mallorca and loves it. The sound is amazing. The upcoming A45/53 AMG should be insane.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MsxkKoI-Hs

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

Seriously?  Thats stupid.

TL;DR on the review "Car is great, sounds fantastic, and transmission doesn't suck."

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on December 05, 2018, 02:22:50 PM
Seriously?  Thats stupid.

Yeah. So many good car magazines have geo blocked Europe. Car and Driver and the eloquent Automobile Magazine to name two.

I despise GDPR and the current Leftist-Green EU/German politicians we have to deal with here.  :cry:

Quote from: Xer0 on December 05, 2018, 02:22:50 PMTL;DR on the review "Car is great, sounds fantastic, and transmission doesn't suck."

Sounds like a winner!  :rockon:

I remember some reviews complained about the transmission in the CLA45 and GLA45 AMG.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on November 30, 2018, 12:29:43 PM
I personally don't want my car having any network ability... Without some kind of well established/tested standard existing, who knows what security holes exist.
hopefully whatever infrastructure we end up with will not supplied by Huawei/ZTE...
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 07, 2018, 05:30:11 AM
hopefully whatever infrastructure we end up with will not supplied by Huawei/ZTE...

Yes, let's be afraid of a company from Devil China because they're from China. Forget the fact that Google, Apple, Facebook, and the US Gov't already watch everything that we do. China!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 07, 2018, 07:48:28 AM
Yes, let's be afraid of a company from Devil China because they're from China. Forget the fact that Google, Apple, Facebook, and the US Gov't already watch everything that we do. China!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2018, 11:29:27 AM
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

After the whole NSA scandal, they no longer have the moral right to complain about that. Makes me wonder if their fear is that they do not have any backdoors into Huawei equipment like they would have with cisco equipment. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 07, 2018, 07:48:28 AM
Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2018, 11:29:27 AM
Quote from: Galaxy on December 07, 2018, 12:16:45 PM
After the whole NSA scandal, they no longer have the moral right to complain about that. Makes me wonder if their fear is that they do not have any backdoors into Huawei equipment like they would have with cisco equipment. 

Meh, I'd do something about the NSA if I could, but I accept it as an inevitability at this point. But I'm not worried about the NSA trying to use my info to access my financial accounts or open new lines of credit. I can't say the same about random Chinese companies.

Laconian

I'm not worried about that with China, I'm more worried about industrial espionage stealing the crown IP jewels from Fortune 500 companies. The Chinese intelligence apparatus feeds this stuff directly to its domestic companies.

It's pretty disingenuous to equivocate China's activities with those of the West. It's an entirely different league of shady.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2018, 01:06:30 PM

It's pretty disingenuous to equivocate China's activities with those of the West. It's an entirely different league of shady.

+1
The US follows what laws there are. China not so much.
Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2018, 01:06:30 PM
I'm not worried about that with China, I'm more worried about industrial espionage stealing the crown IP jewels from Fortune 500 companies. The Chinese intelligence apparatus feeds this stuff directly to its domestic companies.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 07, 2018, 02:34:16 PM
+1
The US follows what laws there are. China not so much.

Sorry, but with the US's ability to collect information, plus with an aggressive "America First" doctrine, the rest of the world has to assume that business intelligence will also be collected.