Toyota Could Bring Back The MR2

Started by cawimmer430, July 09, 2019, 05:09:55 AM

cawimmer430

Toyota Could Bring Back The MR2

Toyota recently resurrected the Supra and now it appears the company could do the same to the MR2.

Nothing appears to be set in stone, but Car & Driver suggests the MR2 could return in the future and complete Akio Toyoda's dream of having a sports car lineup that consists of three different models.

Details are limited, but the publication suggests car is still several years off and won't arrive until 2024 at the earliest. That's a long ways away and little is known about the model at this point.

However, the publication noted the company has partnered with BMW and Subaru to create the Supra and 86.  With that in mind, they believe the MR2 revival could potentially involve a partnership with another automaker. That remains unclear and so does the MR2's powertrain.

Toyota has previously said it intends to offer an electrified version of all its models by around 2025. Given this, it's likely the MR2 would at least be offered with a hybrid powertrain. Of course, there's also the possibility of conventionally powered variant and even the chance that the vehicle could be an EV.

If the model does indeed use the MR2 moniker, it would likely embrace some of the things that made the original so great. These would likely include a low curb weight, sporty handling and a stylish design.

Electric vehicles aren't known for being particularly lightweight and that would definitely be a challenge if Toyota decided to go that route. However, the publication seemed to suggest this is the most likely option and the even mentioned the possibility that the MR2 could be positioned as a rival to an electric Porsche Boxster and Cayman. That sounds a bit odd, as Toyota already bills the Supra as a Cayman competitor, but C&D says the MR2 would cost less than $45,000. Assuming, it comes at all.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/toyota-could-bring-back-the-mr2/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Hybrid makes the most sense to me. Based on other Toyota hybrids the weight penalty is only about 100lbs. Pair it with a high revving 3 or 4 popper and a sporty transmission configuration and they could have a (car magazine comparison) winner.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

If they do it, it needs to be priced as a Miata/124 competitor.

Payman

Team up with Fiat to make it doable, and make a hard top targa X1/9.

12,000 RPM

I hate to say it but Fiat probably needs to be put to pasture.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 09, 2019, 05:26:02 AM
I hate to say it but Fiat probably needs to be put to pasture.

Lol sure... one of the oldest and largest car companies in the world needs to be put to pasture.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on July 09, 2019, 06:19:12 AM
Lol sure... one of the oldest and largest car companies in the world needs to be put to pasture.
Nothing lasts forever

r0tor

Not a lot of options for them to rebadge... Don't see this happening
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on July 09, 2019, 07:12:26 AM

C8 Corvette.  :muffin:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on July 09, 2019, 07:12:26 AM

+1
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Eye of the Tiger

A shittier version of the Lotus Elise

Payman

Eye of the Tiger

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rockraven on July 09, 2019, 05:21:14 AM
If they do it, it needs to be priced as a Miata/124 competitor.

That's what I was thinking.

But then the Miata has been alive and thived the whole time, MR2 wasn't around that long?.....
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 16, 2019, 11:46:54 AM
That's what I was thinking.

But then the Miata has been alive and thived the whole time, MR2 wasn't around that long?.....

The MR2 was around for like 23 years, but the Sypder (3rd gen) wasn't very popular.

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 16, 2019, 11:49:39 AM
The MR2 was around for like 23 years, but the Sypder (3rd gen) wasn't very popular.

Which is a shame, really.  It was kind of ugly, it was massively impractical, but damn if it weren't a better sports car than its contemporary MX-5.  It was faster, sharper, more immediate, and more fun.  At the time, it felt like the closest thing we'd ever get to an Elise, and, frankly, my experience with the MR-2 Spyder still ranks as one of my top experiences as a driver.  The problem was that the Miata was a better car overall, but the MR-2 was, in my opinion, better to drive than both the NB and NC (though the NC at least caught up in straight line speed).  It was less approachable and less forgiving (as mid-engine cars can be), though, so I can easily see why the Miata continued to survive and the MR2 died.  The Miata was more practical, better looking, easier to drive, and had greater mass appeal because of those things. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

I had an MR2 for a week, way back when I was still limber enough to crawl into one.  Traded a guy when his parents came to visit and he needed 4 seats.  It was surprisingly fun to drive.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2019, 09:13:15 AM
Which is a shame, really.  It was kind of ugly, it was massively impractical, but damn if it weren't a better sports car than its contemporary MX-5.  It was faster, sharper, more immediate, and more fun.  At the time, it felt like the closest thing we'd ever get to an Elise, and, frankly, my experience with the MR-2 Spyder still ranks as one of my top experiences as a driver.  The problem was that the Miata was a better car overall, but the MR-2 was, in my opinion, better to drive than both the NB and NC (though the NC at least caught up in straight line speed).  It was less approachable and less forgiving (as mid-engine cars can be), though, so I can easily see why the Miata continued to survive and the MR2 died.  The Miata was more practical, better looking, easier to drive, and had greater mass appeal because of those things. 

Massively impractical is the key phrase though. I never drove one, but I looked at one while I was in college and remember thinking that I wasn't even sure I could fit my backpack in the storage compartments.

Galaxy

So what exactly would be the difference between the 86 and an MR2? The MR2 was available as a convertible yes, but that was under consideration for the 86 as well before Toyota cancelled it.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on July 17, 2019, 11:25:01 AM
So what exactly would be the difference between the 86 and an MR2? The MR2 was available as a convertible yes, but that was under consideration for the 86 as well before Toyota cancelled it.
I don't think Toyota could find anyone to partner up with on a mid engine 2 seater

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2019, 11:31:25 AM
I don't think Toyota could find anyone to partner up with on a mid engine 2 seater

Return of the Elise, but cheaper? Lotus already uses Toyota engines.

#wishfulThinking

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2019, 11:31:25 AM

Sigh. That would still look good today.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Speaking of which, will we be able to import Speedsters in a couple years? They're almost 20 years old...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on July 17, 2019, 02:40:48 PM

Sigh. That would still look good today.
I always thought they should have made the TT mid engined. Probably still would have died but it would have died as a true sports car and not a more expensive + less practical Golf

Quote from: Laconian on July 17, 2019, 07:42:46 PM
Speaking of which, will we be able to import Speedsters in a couple years? They're almost 20 years old...
Import rule is 25 years.

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 18, 2019, 05:27:50 AM
I always thought they should have made the TT mid engined. Probably still would have died but it would have died as a true sports car and not a more expensive + less practical Golf
Import rule is 25 years.

A VW Boxster?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM