Feel Bad About Polluting In Your 911? Porsche Will Gladly Help

Started by cawimmer430, August 07, 2019, 12:25:22 PM

cawimmer430

Feel Bad About Polluting In Your 911? Porsche Will Gladly Help (And Take Your Money)

If you've got a guilty conscious and money to burn, Porsche is willing to help as they've announced a new carbon offset program for customers in the United States.

Designed to effectively cancel out the CO2 emissions created from driving your car, the program allows people to calculate their emissions and select their preferred offset project.

After visiting the site, users will be asked to enter their annual mileage and their average fuel consumption. While those numbers will vary, a person who drives a 2019 Porsche Cayenne – which has a combined fuel economy rating of 21 mpg – 10,000 miles (16,093 km) annually will need to offset 4.62 tons of CO2.

In order to do this, owners are presented with four different options. For $88.01, they can help save forests in Zimbabwe. Those looking for something closer to home can spend $77.66 to support the Aura Solar I project in Mexico.

Customers can also support the Za Hung Hydropower project in Vietnam ($56.96) or protect the forests on the Afognak Island in Alaska. The latter option is the most expensive of the group as it has a recommend offset price of $129.45 which is more than twice as much as the Vietnam project.

Porsche says each project is "internationally certified" and they've partnered with South Pole which is described as a "Swiss-based provider of carbon offsetting projects and sustainability financing that has been active internationally for more than a decade."

It remains to be seen if Porsche owners care enough about their pollution to do anything, but Porsche Cars North America President and CEO Klaus Zellmer said "offering an option for greater sustainability is part of creating a superb Porsche experience."

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/08/feel-bad-about-polluting-in-your-911-porsche-will-gladly-help-and-take-your-money/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Buying indulgences. Environmentalism is the new religion.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

If you cared about the environment, you wouldn't pay to bring a second or third car in the world. The cost of manufacturing that Porsche far outweighs the cost of the gas you'll burn.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 07, 2019, 12:44:25 PM
Buying indulgences. Environmentalism is the new religion.

I wonder if it gets you a "look at what I did!" badge too?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

veeman

I think it would be better if Porsche gave the money rather than guilt tripping their consumer.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on August 07, 2019, 09:48:18 PM
If you cared about the environment, you wouldn't pay to bring a second or third car in the world. The cost of manufacturing that Porsche far outweighs the cost of the gas you'll burn.

Exactly. Owning and driving a car long-term is the way to go.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

I don't complain about money being invested in saving forests
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on August 08, 2019, 06:43:25 PM
I don't complain about money being invested in saving forests

Yeah I'm all for it.  Sure, we can complain about the efficacy or logic of it, but...doing good is doing good.