Audi and Rimac Could Team Up For Electric R8 Successor

Started by cawimmer430, August 09, 2019, 07:06:06 AM

cawimmer430

Audi and Rimac Could Team Up For Electric R8 Successor

Earlier this year, Audi Chairman Bram Schot openly speculated about the future of the R8.

During the company's Annual General Meeting, the executive asked "Do we need a successor with a combustion engine? Does this fit in with our vision?" Schot didn't provide answers, but it appears Audi is moving forward with plans for an R8 successor.

Car Magazine reports Audi has approached Rimac about the possibility of collaborating on a high-performance electric vehicle that would replace the R8. Details are limited, but the car is reportedly known at the RS e-Tron and could be launched in 2023 or 2024.

The vehicle would reportedly be built by Audi at their Bollinger Höfe plant, but a lot of the development work would reportedly be outsourced to Rimac. The company won't just play an important role in the developing the model either as sources have told the publication that Rimic would also supply the powertrain.

Speaking of the latter, the car is envisioned to have four electric motors that produce a combined output of roughly 937 hp (699 kW / 950 PS). This setup would reportedly enable the all-wheel drive model to accelerate from 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in just 2.5 seconds.

Other rumored specifications include a 95 kWh solid-state battery pack with a wireless charging system. The batteries are also slated to have a fast charging capability and enough power to deliver 300 miles (483 km) of range.

Furthermore, the two-seater is slated to have an aluminum monocoque chassis and active aerodynamics. That sounds pretty impressive and the car is rumored to start at less than €200,000 ($223,670 / £184,237).

Of course, nothing is set in stone and plans may change as Schot has previously expressed his desire to "concentrate maximum resources on our key projects" and eliminate model complexity. He also criticized the company for being "involved in too many projects for several years."

A high-performance electric supercar isn't exactly a key project, but the R8 has been an important halo model for the four-ring brand. That being said, the previous R8 e-tron was a failure as less than 100 units were sold.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/08/audi-and-rimac-could-team-up-for-electric-r8-successor/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Electric supercars are the kind of thing contrarians on Jalopnik pine for but nobody actually wants

Why on Google Earth would anyone buy an R8 without a V10? At most they should make it a hybrid
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Its maybe an interesting technical exercise but an electric TT (or something similar) would be more interesting for the overall marketplace, as it would then really represent a sport electric that (relatively) normal people could feasibly afford to purchase.

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 09, 2019, 07:41:57 AM
Electric supercars are the kind of thing contrarians on Jalopnik pine for but nobody actually wants

Why on Google Earth would anyone buy an R8 without a V10? At most they should make it a hybrid

Because a pooprod C8 will likely meet or beat it on a track and in a straight line.  At least electric gives you the future.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

NomisR

I can see electric supercars being a thing though.  It's just so much easier to do really fast.  Look at how ridiculously quick the Teslas are. 

giant_mtb

How long do these types of cars last when being driven hard?  I can't imagine you get much range when you're puttin' down the hammer.  A handful of laps on a medium sized track, maybe?

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 09, 2019, 11:30:01 AM
How long do these types of cars last when being driven hard?  I can't imagine you get much range when you're puttin' down the hammer.  A handful of laps on a medium sized track, maybe?

Is that really that different from a regular car though?   On the track, the Lotus Elise was getting 8 mpg, and this is a 32mpg car.  I can't image the supercars being anywhere reasonable.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on August 09, 2019, 05:25:54 PM
Is that really that different from a regular car though?   On the track, the Lotus Elise was getting 8 mpg, and this is a 32mpg car.  I can't image the supercars being anywhere reasonable.

What a piece of shit. Dakota gets 17 MPG going flat out for hours at a time.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on August 09, 2019, 05:25:54 PM

Well, no. I just mean...you can't simply fill the tank back up and get back out there. You'd have to (presumably) wait at least a couple hours until you're re-charged.

I can see where a 2-3 hour break at a track day would be normal, though. Just sayin.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2019, 11:06:03 AM
Because a pooprod C8 will likely meet or beat it on a track and in a straight line.  At least electric gives you the future.
I would hope there's more to supercar enjoyment than who can swing the biggest log

Surely an 8K RPM V10 has to count for something
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on August 09, 2019, 11:13:59 AM
I can see electric supercars being a thing though.  It's just so much easier to do really fast.  Look at how ridiculously quick the Teslas are. 

To me there's more to a sports car than just sheer speed and acceleration. Engine sound and character are a huge deal, and EVs obviously are lacking in this area. Fake noises pumped into the interior probably wouldn't convince me since I know that EVs are silent and it would spoil the experience even more for me.

This actually reminds me of the time I switched on my TV and got a glimpse of Formula E racing. Wow, I could not stand it. It was so... emotionless. I couldn't tell when one of the other drivers wanted to overtake. It was dull. When you watch Formula One the engine noise is a huge part of it. And when a driver downshifts a couple of gears you can expect them to make an attack etc.

Just my opinion. ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 09, 2019, 06:28:45 PM
Well, no. I just mean...you can't simply fill the tank back up and get back out there. You'd have to (presumably) wait at least a couple hours until you're re-charged.

I can see where a 2-3 hour break at a track day would be normal, though. Just sayin.

I'm assuming DC charging where you get 80% of the charge in 30 mins, it's reasonable to charge after every session. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 10, 2019, 05:34:41 AM
To me there's more to a sports car than just sheer speed and acceleration. Engine sound and character are a huge deal, and EVs obviously are lacking in this area. Fake noises pumped into the interior probably wouldn't convince me since I know that EVs are silent and it would spoil the experience even more for me.

This actually reminds me of the time I switched on my TV and got a glimpse of Formula E racing. Wow, I could not stand it. It was so... emotionless. I couldn't tell when one of the other drivers wanted to overtake. It was dull. When you watch Formula One the engine noise is a huge part of it. And when a driver downshifts a couple of gears you can expect them to make an attack etc.

Just my opinion. ;)
I agree.  Sound is part of the emotion.  I even miss the vibration on the shift lever and steering wheel, sometimes the floorboards of the older muscle cars.  Add in a faint odor of raw gasoline and the air whistling through the carburetor, and it's perfect, for me.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."