QOTD: Is This Finally A BMW Grille We Can All Agree Looks Great?

Started by cawimmer430, September 13, 2021, 09:52:53 AM

cawimmer430

DAFUQ?  :confused:

QOTD: Is This Finally A BMW Grille We Can All Agree Looks Great?

BMW has done plenty of controversial stuff lately. It created the first M-badged electric car in the i4 M50, offered a four-wheel drive option on the M3 and M4, and denied buyers of the Competition versions of those cars the chance to row their own gears.

But none of those moves has polarized opinion quite like the introduction of its jumbo grilles on cars like the 7-Series, X7, iX and 4-Series.

Strangely, BMW has flip-flopped between grille styles on its latest cars. The 2023 2-Series has a fairly conventional grille, but the next 7-Series (not unveiled at Munich, but due very soon) is likely to be sporting the same buck-tooth grin as the M3 and M4.

At Munich, though, BMW again changed direction, and quite literally. With the little i Vision Circular concept it moved away from the large portrait-shaped grilles, for a pair of slender wide grilles that run the full width of the car. I don't know what you think, but I believe they look fantastic.

Unlike some of BMW's more recent grilles, where the two kidneys were conjoined, the pair of kidneys on the Circular are entirely separate. They're also not remotely kidney shaped because each now measures half the width of the car, aping the look of the grilles onto which the kidneys were mounted on BMW sedans from the early 1960s to the mid 1990s.

Though the grilles appear to feature BMW's traditional vertical slats, this is just an effect created by lighting elements within the panels. The same technology could also allow the grille to display messages, similar to what we saw on Opel's Manta GSe ElektroMod earlier this year. And, of course, the headlights themselves are integrated into the flush panels.

While I've been happy to poke fun at cars like the 4-Series, I like that BMW (whose designs are sometimes pretty dull) is prepared to push boundaries. But in the i Vision Circular it's come up with something that it's not just distinctive for the sake of it, but that looks great and cleverly nods to BMW's heritage, without looking overtly retro.

I can't wait to see that grille on a production car. But what do you think? Leave a comment and let us know.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/qotd-is-this-finally-a-bmw-grille-we-can-all-agree-looks-great/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

RomanChariot

I think it's safe to say that the grille doesn't detract from the looks of the rest of the car.  :hammerhead:

SJ_GTI

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

I actually think this looks better then some of their most recently launched cars.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

Submariner

Quote from: Galaxy on September 13, 2021, 03:38:16 PM
I actually think this looks better then some of their most recently launched cars.

That's an awfully low standard you're setting.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AutobahnSHO

Do you even need a grill for electric cars though? I don't care for the Tesla look but the front can still look decent and not have totally unnecessary grill stuff....
Will

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

If we can't have massive unnecessary grilles on our EVs, at least we can fall back on our proudly jutting chromed quad tailpipes.

oh wait.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 17, 2021, 11:46:35 PM
Do you even need a grill for electric cars though? I don't care for the Tesla look but the front can still look decent and not have totally unnecessary grill stuff....

Need a small opening since there are still radiators for battery cooling. But the small slits at the bottom of the front fascia seem to be plenty big enough
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV