Deciding whether to keep or dump QX56

Started by veeman, April 17, 2020, 11:38:19 AM

MX793

Quote from: veeman on June 01, 2020, 11:57:39 AM
Didn't you spend an entire thread in the not too distant past saying the Challenger is not a pony car because it's too big for that classification?

:lol:

I was going to put "muscle car", but it's primary competitors aren't necessarily muscle cars.  It's a cheaper way into a V8 coupe than either of the pony cars from Ford or GM.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2020, 04:16:13 PM
I was going to put "muscle car", but it's primary competitors aren't necessarily muscle cars.  It's a cheaper way into a V8 coupe than either of the pony cars from Ford or GM.
The mid-sixties ('65) Dodge Dart "Charger" was likely the closet thing that Chrysler had to a pony car. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 01, 2020, 04:36:23 PM
The mid-sixties ('65) Dodge Dart "Charger" was likely the closet thing that Chrysler had to a pony car. 

Barracuda was a Pony Car.  Actually pre-dated the Mustang by almost a year, but the Mustang was the one that "defined" the segment, hence why we call them pony cars and not... fish cars?

Ok, so maybe we also call them pony instead of fish because the former simply sounds much better.

And the Mustang was developed to fight the Corvair Monza, which was later retconned as a pony car even though it came first.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2020, 06:12:04 PM
Barracuda was a Pony Car.  Actually pre-dated the Mustang by almost a year, but the Mustang was the one that "defined" the segment, hence why we call them pony cars and not... fish cars?

Ok, so maybe we also call them pony instead of fish because the former simply sounds much better.

And the Mustang was developed to fight the Corvair Monza, which was later retconned as a pony car even though it came first.
The Mustang defined the pony car, so anything predating it could never be a pony car.  The would like calling a Falcon a pony car.

Yes, a Barracuda would be a fish car.  Very fishy.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 01, 2020, 06:16:30 PM
The Mustang defined the pony car, so anything predating it could never be a pony car.  The would like calling a Falcon a pony car.

Yes, a Barracuda would be a fish car.  Very fishy.

Falcon and Mustang were built at the same time.  The Falcon was never considered a pony car.  The Corvair Monza of the later 60s was considered a Mustang competitor and it got lumped with the pony cars.  Lack of a V8 meant it really only competed with the secretary trim Mustangs, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2020, 06:20:41 PM
Falcon and Mustang were built at the same time.  The Falcon was never considered a pony car.  The Corvair Monza of the later 60s was considered a Mustang competitor and it got lumped with the pony cars.  Lack of a V8 meant it really only competed with the secretary trim Mustangs, though.
The Mustang, of course, was initially built on the Falcon platform/frame/chassis.  The Corvair, Monza or not, at the time, was never considered in the same category/breath as a Mustang, or any of the so-called pony cars.  After '67, pony cars essentially evolved into muscle cars when they started dropping in big blocks.

That's how I remember it.  I had a '66 Mustang, beautiful little car and a '70 Mach I, 351 Cleveland.  No comparison.  No one I ever knew considered a Corvair in the same category.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 01, 2020, 06:29:30 PM
The Mustang, of course, was initially built on the Falcon platform/frame/chassis.  The Corvair, Monza or not, at the time, was never considered in the same category/breath as a Mustang, or any of the so-called pony cars.  After '67, pony cars essentially evolved into muscle cars when they started dropping in big blocks.

That's how I remember it.  I had a '66 Mustang, beautiful little car and a '70 Mach I, 351 Cleveland.  No comparison.  No one I ever knew considered a Corvair in the same category.

Chevy seemed to think it was.  The '65 restyle, particularly the Monza coupe, was aimed squarely at the Mustang.  Lack of a V8 meant consumers didn't really take it seriously as a Mustang competitor.  Queue the Camaro/Firebird in '67.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2020, 06:35:06 PM
Chevy seemed to think it was.  The '65 restyle, particularly the Monza coupe, was aimed squarely at the Mustang.  Lack of a V8 meant consumers didn't really take it seriously as a Mustang competitor.  Queue the Camaro/Firebird in '67.
If Chevy thought it was, they were the only ones.  Nobody on the street did, likely even Corvair owners.  If anything, it was a Falcon competitor.  Falcon was Ford's attempt at an 'economy' car.  The Corvair was Chevy's attempt.

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on June 01, 2020, 11:57:39 AM
Didn't you spend an entire thread in the not too distant past saying the Challenger is not a pony car because it's too big for that classification?

:lol:
I think that you should buff up and get yourself a Boss.  It'll make your trip to work and back the most fun you've had in your life. :lol:

CaminoRacer

My problem with modern Challengers is the slab sides, wheel gap, and any tire skinnier than a 295+ make the car look like a rental car
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on June 01, 2020, 03:05:15 PM
The point of a Challenger and all its wasted metal is they look cool.  They actually look like 60s/70s muscle cars.  There's plenty of room in the front for adults.  For short trips, the backseat is OK for normal sized adults (assuming they're lithe enough to squeeze back there through the coupe front doors).

Oh I get the "point" but it's is seriously seriously loserville.

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2020, 04:14:41 PM
I'm not sure I'd call them cramped.  The center console is large, but I always found them to have plenty of head, leg and shoulder room.  At least in the front seat. 

I had plenty of room for my short ride but it "felt" like I had less space than a Miata.

Seriously this car might be fairly ok in a straight line but is far less functional for anything else than most other vehicles. To me, it's a serious waste.
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 02, 2020, 06:49:13 AM
Oh I get the "point" but it's is seriously seriously loserville.

I had plenty of room for my short ride but it "felt" like I had less space than a Miata.

Seriously this car might be fairly ok in a straight line but is far less functional for anything else than most other vehicles. To me, it's a serious waste.

I pulled the specs and the Chally is significantly bigger inside than an NB (top up) in every dimension but leg room.  Miata actually has about 3/4 of an inch more max legroom (which you probably won't notice if average height and you set the seat a comfortable distance from the dash).  Headroom advantage for the Dodge was over an inch, hip and shoulder was like 4-5 inches.  I think it's just perception because of the tall sides, small windows, and dark interior.  It definitely feels cave-like.  But I've been in NAs and NBs and I would not say the Dodge is more cramped.  You're rubbing elbows with the passenger in a Miata whereas you'd have to reach to touch the shoulder of the passenger in a Chally.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 01, 2020, 10:29:13 PM
My problem with modern Challengers is the slab sides, wheel gap, and any tire skinnier than a 295+ make the car look like a rental car

Even though the Mustang and the Challenger are both "retro-modern," the Mustang seems genuine to me and the Challenger seems like its wearing a costume.

It may be because I find the original Challengers so much more appealing than the early '70s Mustangs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 02, 2020, 08:14:29 AM
Even though the Mustang and the Challenger are both "retro-modern," the Mustang seems genuine to me and the Challenger seems like its wearing a costume.

It may be because I find the original Challengers so much more appealing than the early '70s Mustangs.
The '71-'73 Mustangs were kinda hard to love.  They deviated enough from the design to make it look fat and clumsy.  Of course, the engines were getting strangled by the anti-pollution devices of the time as well.

MX793

I can honestly say I'm not really a fan of Mustangs from model years 1971 through 1993.  I guess I can kind of see some appeal in the sleeper vibe of the Fox cars, but they've always looked too much like Tempos to me.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Yeah, if you look at an original Challenger and a new one, you see all the flaws with the new one.

The Hellcats and Demons look good but that's a lot of money to pay just to fix the styling. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on June 02, 2020, 07:37:26 AM
I pulled the specs and the Chally is significantly bigger inside than an NB (top up) in every dimension but leg room.  Miata actually has about 3/4 of an inch more max legroom (which you probably won't notice if average height and you set the seat a comfortable distance from the dash).  Headroom advantage for the Dodge was over an inch, hip and shoulder was like 4-5 inches.  I think it's just perception because of the tall sides, small windows, and dark interior.  It definitely feels cave-like.  But I've been in NAs and NBs and I would not say the Dodge is more cramped.  You're rubbing elbows with the passenger in a Miata whereas you'd have to reach to touch the shoulder of the passenger in a Chally.

No doubt.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2020, 11:24:29 AM
I get excited if I see a Grand Am where the taillights work.
I LOL'd
If I see a vehicle with a brake light out, it's pretty well always GM.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Morris Minor

FWIW my accountant's rule of thumb for his clients is 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 06, 2020, 02:49:41 PM
I LOL'd
If I see a vehicle with a brake light out, it's pretty well always GM.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice.  Burned out DRLs, too.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

For a while I saw tons of <1 year old Hyundais/Kias with burnt out taillights

veeman

I'm assuming, especially for non HID and LED lights, all of the auto manufacturers use pretty much the same sort of bulbs for their headlights, taillights, brakelights, daytime running lights, blinkers, high beams, etc.  It must be something about the lens or housing that maybe let's in more moisture in certain brands. 

MX793

Quote from: veeman on June 07, 2020, 02:40:59 PM
I'm assuming, especially for non HID and LED lights, all of the auto manufacturers use pretty much the same sort of bulbs for their headlights, taillights, brakelights, daytime running lights, blinkers, high beams, etc.  It must be something about the lens or housing that maybe let's in more moisture in certain brands. 

A lot of cheaper cars don't use LED tail lamps.  And back when Pontiac was still a thing, LED tail lamps weren't super widely used outside of luxury cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

veeman

Yeah, that's what I mean.  Most cars use the same kind of bulbs especially when they're not using HID headlights or LED lights.  So the ones that are apt to burn out early seem to be a housing issue surrounding the bulb. Just my guess.

MX793

Quote from: veeman on June 07, 2020, 04:11:06 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean.  Most cars use the same kind of bulbs especially when they're not using HID headlights or LED lights.  So the ones that are apt to burn out early seem to be a housing issue surrounding the bulb. Just my guess.

They use standard form factors.  That doesn't mean they all use the same bulb.  An H7 bulb from Sylvania might last longer than the one from Dirt Cheap Lightbulbs Inc.

Also could have been something with the housings or wiring.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on June 07, 2020, 04:11:06 PM

With the Grand Ams specifically, its the way the housings are made, and they use thin metal ribbons as conductors inside the tail lights that are supposed to be pressed together by the plastic.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator