The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 29, 2019, 09:41:53 AM
Do they have a pet pig?

"Pig" is probably the accurate word for their kids. And it's not like the front seats are any better.

Filthy people produce filthy kids.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 29, 2019, 08:41:25 AM
On today's episode of "You Should've Just Had An Abortion."

Jesus.  How the fuck can someone be (or let their child be) that disgusting?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

It didn't really come clean.

If you wear the same pants every day and never wash them, they become perma-stained. Upholstery is no different.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 29, 2019, 09:52:08 AM
"Pig" is probably the accurate word for their kids. And it's not like the front seats are any better.

Filthy people produce filthy kids.
Do you charge extra for a vehicle that messy?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

RomanChariot

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 29, 2019, 08:41:25 AM
On today's episode of "You Should've Just Had An Abortion."

You would obviously know the situation better than me but that looks more like they have a dog(s). Children small enough to walk on the seats should be in toddler seats which would prevent them from walking on the regular seats with muddy shoes. Of course, people that let their car get like that often aren't responsible parents.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 29, 2019, 11:42:38 AM
Do you charge extra for a vehicle that messy?

Absolutely. It's more of my time and takes extra effort.

It's rare that I get a vehicle this dirty, but it does happen.

giant_mtb

Quote from: RomanChariot on October 29, 2019, 11:46:35 AM
You would obviously know the situation better than me but that looks more like they have a dog(s). Children small enough to walk on the seats should be in toddler seats which would prevent them from walking on the regular seats with muddy shoes. Of course, people that let their car get like that often aren't responsible parents.

Both.  There was also a decent amount of dog hair.  Lots of evidence of kids...crayons, toy pieces, candy/wrappers, sucker sticks.

giant_mtb

But. She is a really nice lady.

Soup DeVille

How do you get weather tech floormats clean? Like 95% of everything just wipes off, but on the tan ones I have, they leave like water marks.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 29, 2019, 03:04:10 PM
How do you get weather tech floormats clean? Like 95% of everything just wipes off, but on the tan ones I have, they leave like water marks.

My cleaning process for any rubber/plastic mat is to rinse it, spray it down with degreaser, scrub with soapy water and a wheel brush, then final rinse. I dry them by just leaning them up against the wall or garage door so the water can drip off while I continue with the rest of the interior cleaning.

If there's anything left over, some interior cleaner and a rag should take care of it. Just be careful as some interior cleaners may leave them slippery...not ideal for floor mats IMO. Or just use some more degreaser and a rag for a final wipedown.

They stain over time and will never come 100% clean at a certain point, so if that's what you mean...not much you can do. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 29, 2019, 03:04:10 PM

Tan spray paint
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

You support America by buying new mats. :neverforget:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Oh f*&$ a can of white spray paint fell over or froze in the garage and emptied itself on the garage floor and RX8... Ugh
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on November 03, 2019, 10:52:01 AM
Oh f*&$ a can of white spray paint fell over or froze in the garage and emptied itself on the garage floor and RX8... Ugh

Oh nooo. How badly did it get on the car? Pix?

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on November 03, 2019, 10:52:01 AM
Shit :facepalm:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Time to repaint the whole thing.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 03, 2019, 01:22:29 PM
Time to repaint the whole thing.

Might as well stick with white spray paint since it's already started. :huh:

r0tor

Well I used up a ton of alcohol and meguiars scratch x... Seemed to work pretty well on the RX8. The front corner is now super super duper clean.

Garage floor is hosed though
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Nice. Might as well do the whole car, then. ScratchX has good cleaning properties.

r0tor

I do love scratch x for removing sap and bird shit stains

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

lol the metallic makes it look horribly orange-peeled at first
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I dislike metallic black. Go big or go home when it comes to black.

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Also, if anyone is looking for a great tire dressing available in stores...Meguiar's Endurance Gloss.  Good, sticky shit. Not good if you live on a dusty dirt road, but otherwise great.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 13, 2019, 07:30:59 PM
Also, if anyone is looking for a great tire dressing available in stores...Meguiar's Endurance Gloss.  Good, sticky shit. Not good if you live on a dusty dirt road, but otherwise great.

Bacon grease works good, too. I think that's what the detail guys use here.

MrH

Am I the only person who hates tire dressing?  Looks silly.  It's rubber, it's not supposed to look slimey.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on November 14, 2019, 07:46:30 AM
Am I the only person who hates tire dressing?  Looks silly.  It's rubber, it's not supposed to look slimey.

There's certainly a boundary. I don't like the slimey look, either. A deep black with a hint of shine is ideal IMO. That's why I use Meg's Hyper Dressing. Water-based and dillutable for varying shine levels spraying out of a spray bottle. Also, if your tire dressing seems to slimey, apply it, and then go back and wipe it off after to give it a matte, deep black finish without the slime.

giant_mtb

This truck belongs to the owner of the local car wash. She's a cool lady.

I love outdoor shots with snow on the ground.

FoMoJo

Are you still getting a lot of business?