The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

Try rubbing alcohol. Or clay bar. Or if you have a buffer, glass-specific buffing pads exist.

Submariner

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 18, 2019, 11:34:37 AM
Have you tried mineral spirits?

No I haven't.  Is that safe for clear coat (in case it spills?)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 18, 2019, 11:38:18 AM
Try rubbing alcohol. Or clay bar. Or if you have a buffer, glass-specific buffing pads exist.

I ordered a buffer...still waiting for it!

I'll give alcohol a shot.  I tried my synthetic clay bar but it did little to remove the stains.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on July 18, 2019, 11:42:13 AM
No I haven't.  Is that safe for clear coat (in case it spills?)

Yes. Mineral spirits and rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol are safe. It's stuff like paint (lacquer) thinner that's dangerous.

giant_mtb

Or, if you have the balls, razor blade.

https://youtu.be/_NTPTjEkpvw

Quite safe, really.  Just don't go side to side...just like shaving. :ohyeah:

Submariner

These fucking marks will not come off.  I've tried:

Soap and water
A Mr. Clean magic eraser
Rubbing alcohol
Mineral spirits
Windex
A pressure washer

What the fucking fuck

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Not rubbing compound? Xylene? Sharpie?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 08, 2019, 03:07:03 PM
Raise 'er blade.

It covers every inch of the car, not just the windows.  I have my orbital sander (polisher) but I'm not sure if polishing is safe when the car isn't 100% clean.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on August 08, 2019, 03:49:19 PM
It covers every inch of the car, not just the windows.  I have my orbital sander (polisher) but I'm not sure if polishing is safe when the car isn't 100% clean.

Certainly not, do not do! :lol:

Have you tried using the buffer and compound on the windows?  Worth a shot for sure, I've had good luck with that.  Just gotta be careful about getting compound on any porous plastic/rubber surfaces around the windows.

They also make glass-specific buffing pads that have a lot more bite to them, as glass is hard as frig.  Work wonders on stubborn water stains like most sunroofs have.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10614-Glass-Polishing/dp/B004UQIUKW

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 08, 2019, 03:54:00 PM
Certainly not, do not do! :lol:

Have you tried using the buffer and compound on the windows?  Worth a shot for sure, I've had good luck with that.  Just gotta be careful about getting compound on any porous plastic/rubber surfaces around the windows.

They also make glass-specific buffing pads that have a lot more bite to them, as glass is hard as frig.  Work wonders on stubborn water stains like most sunroofs have.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10614-Glass-Polishing/dp/B004UQIUKW

I might give a glass-specific pad a try.  I just got my wax pad in but I'm still waiting for the polish one (which is a light cut pad btw)

giant_mtb

Give the polish pad a try with some compound, then if you need to, get a glass pad and some heavy cut compound.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 08, 2019, 05:58:52 PM
Give the polish pad a try with some compound, then if you need to, get a glass pad and some heavy cut compound.

Yup.  That's what I'm thinking.  Given that these spots are all over the paint, too, is it safe to polish the clear coat?

Submariner

Would the polish be okay for dull brushed aluminum roof rails?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2019, 02:32:32 PM
Yup.  That's what I'm thinking.  Given that these spots are all over the paint, too, is it safe to polish the clear coat?

Yes.  The buffing process will likely be what removes them from the paint. :ohyeah:

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2019, 02:35:25 PM
Would the polish be okay for dull brushed aluminum roof rails?

Yes.  Unless it's real, actual, bare aluminum.  If it's just the "fake" stuff like most roof rails are, you're fine.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 09, 2019, 02:55:01 PM
Yes.  The buffing process will likely be what removes them from the paint. :ohyeah:

Yes.  Unless it's real, actual, bare aluminum.  If it's just the "fake" stuff like most roof rails are, you're fine.

When I tap it, it sounds and feels like metal.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2019, 04:25:31 PM
When I tap it, it sounds and feels like metal.

Yes, as it should be. But it likely isn't raw, bare aluminum. It's just some other metal with some sort of covering or coating to give the brushed aluminum look. You're fine. They do it all the time with roof rails.

giant_mtb

Basically any trim piece has an artificial coating. Stuff that looks like brushed aluminum is not actual brushed aluminum. It would corrode within weeks.

Submariner

Aunt rolled up today in her car with this

She isn't sure if she scraped a car or a building  :facepalm:

Morris Minor

From a few messages back:
Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 21, 2019, 12:48:36 PM
Biennial.

But those words are confusing. Bi-weekly can either mean twice per week or every other week.
Semi-weekly = twice/week. Technically wrong to use bi-weekly for both.
But people still use it for both.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Morris Minor

Quote from: Submariner on August 08, 2019, 02:54:37 PM
These fucking marks will not come off.  I've tried:

Soap and water
A Mr. Clean magic eraser
Rubbing alcohol
Mineral spirits
Windex
A pressure washer

What the fucking fuck
I've had good luck with super-fine (0000) steel wool pads soaked in glass cleaner, & yes rub vertically not horizontally.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on August 09, 2019, 10:54:30 PM
Aunt rolled up today in her car with this

She isn't sure if she scraped a car or a building  :facepalm:

Woof. That's a good one. Buffing would improve it, but it looks like a lot of it is too deep for a buffer to get rid of. It's amazing what a good buff job will do for scratches like that, but you gotta have realistic expectations (ie, you fucked up...there's a point where it actually requires pain/body work). :lol:

Submariner

Yeah.  That's what I'm thinking.  Apparently word has spread amongst family members that I have in my possession a "rotating polisher" (good enough) which makes me a professional auto retailer.

giant_mtb

Welcome to my life, brother! :lol:

shp4man

The white Focus has literally thousands of tiny dots of tree sap (I guess) on it. I spent two hours just on the truck and quarter panels yesterday. I got some stuff at Pep Boys that's supposed to remove it, but it hardly moves it. Seems like a "color back" car wax works better and a fingernail. Tedious as hell. Fucking trees... :muffin:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on August 11, 2019, 02:42:27 PM
The white Focus has literally thousands of tiny dots of tree sap (I guess) on it. I spent two hours just on the truck and quarter panels yesterday. I got some stuff at Pep Boys that's supposed to remove it, but it hardly moves it. Seems like a "color back" car wax works better and a fingernail. Tedious as hell. Fucking trees... :muffin:

I seen that. I scrape each dot off with my fingernails. Totally works
:muffin:

shp4man

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on August 11, 2019, 06:26:28 PM
Would clay take it off?

Clay is messy. I'd try a nice, clean schist or basalt.

giant_mtb

Jesus Christ, no. Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a plastic razor blade. The alcohol will soften it up nicely.  Just not in the sun, 'cause it'll just evaporate.