2021 Mercedes S-Class Goes Official: All Hail The New Luxury King

Started by cawimmer430, September 02, 2020, 12:18:58 PM

cawimmer430

I was expecting worse, but this looks amazing!!! The interior looks fantastic. I used to be against digital cockpits, but after you own a car with one you learn to appreciate their practicality and the various information they can display. :wub:

My only gripe so far is that the door handles disappear into the door (probably for aerodynamic reasons), which abandons a Mercedes' tradition.

2021 Mercedes S-Class Goes Official: All Hail The New Luxury King

Following countless spy shots, leaks, and official teasers, it's finally time for the new 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class to show itself to the world.

Mercedes is hosting the debut of their new luxury flagship sedan at a special live-streamed event, showcasing a very long list of new features that aim to offer a brand new sense of luxury to both the driver and occupants.

The exterior design of the new Mercedes S-Class is not going to rewrite the rule books anytime soon, offering instead a classy -and safe- appearance for the big German saloon. Most design cues are shared with other models in the range, including the headlights and taillights as well as the new-style front grille, making features like the new pop-out door handles stand out when looking for highlights on the outside.

New S-Class Interior Is A High-Tech Lounge

The radical departure of the new generation S-Class takes place under the skin and inside the cabin but that's hardly a surprise given the company's revealing teasing campaign.

Let's start with the new generation of the MBUX infotainment system, which debuts in the new S-Class featuring new hardware and software. The center display is now a portrait-oriented 12.8-inch OLED touchscreen unit with haptic feedback while the 'Hey Mercedes' voice assistant is now available on every seat.

The digital instrument cluster measures 12.3 inches in diameter and can be optionally fitted with a new 3D mode that doesn't require special glasses. This feature comes with two integrated cameras that precisely determine the eye position of the user in order to create the 3D effect with extremely low latency.

The new MBUX system can support up to five displays inside the new Mercedes S-Class, including the instrument cluster, the center display, the twin 11.6-inch rear entertainment screens, and the MBUX rear tablet.

In addition, Mercedes was able to turn the interior lighting of the new S-Class into an active part of the model's safety features. The number of LEDs is here increased from the previous 40 to around 250 and can now collaborate with various driving assistance systems to visually reinforce warnings. For example, when the Active Blind Sport Assist system sends a warning, the ambient lighting system is engaged with a red light animation.

Level 3 Automated Driving

As expected, the 2021 Mercedes S-Class will feature a proper Level 3 conditionally automated driving function. Expected from the second half of 2021, the company's new Drive Pilot system will be able to drive the new S-Class in specific road conditions, including in heavy traffic situations or suitable motorway sections in Germany, initially up to the legally permitted speed of 60 km/h (37 mph). Daimler's Drive Pilot system uses a Lidar together with a range of other sensors and a high-definition digital map. Mercedes notes that the driver must remain ready to retake control and resume driving when the system prompts them to do so.

The Engine Range

The new Mercedes S-Class will be launched with a lineup of electrified six- and eight-cylinder engines, while a new plug-in hybrid S580e model with around 62 miles of EV range will follow in a few months. In Europe, customers will get to choose between six-cylinder petrol and diesel models, including the S450, S500, S350d, S350d 4Matic, and S400d 4Matic. The petrol S450 and S500 are powered by a 3.0-liter mild-hybrid inline-six engine with 362 HP (367 PS) and 429 HP (435 PS) respectively.

US customers on the other hand will get to choose between the S500 4Matic and the S580 4Matic models at the initial launch phase of the new Mercedes S-Class. The S580 4Matic is powered by a twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 equipped with a 48-volt mild-hybrid system and produces 496 HP.

As Maneuverable As An A-Class

The 2021 Mercedes S-Class also comes with the E-Active Body Control Suspension as an option, featuring an Airmatic suspension with continuously adjustable dampers as standard. In addition, Mercedes has added a new rear-axle steering system that allows up to 10 degrees of angle for the rear wheels to make the new S-Class as maneuverable as an A-Class.

The rear-axle steering is integrated into the systems of the steering wheel, brakes, and suspension and allows a turning circle as small as 10.5 meters in the case of an S-Class with the short wheelbase. Mercedes will offer two variants of the rear-axle steering system, with the first one offering up to 4.5 degrees of angle and the other one offering the full 10 degrees. If you opt for the latter, the wheel size is limited to 255/40 R20.

The first examples of the new Mercedes S-Class are expected to reach the U.S market in the first quarter of 2021.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/2021-mercedes-benz-s-class-official-details-images-videos/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Mercedes' is killing the interior game. Wow.

Outside looks great except for the droopy butt.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Xer0

I don't think these interiors will age too well.  As the screens get bigger, how well it will age gets worse imo.

cawimmer430

The future of car interiors are digital screens, so I think it will age quite "normally".  ;)

I remember when I was still driving the BMW 118i and saw the press photos of the new A-Class and its interior. My first thought about the interior was: "Who needs all that digital stuff?" Then I saw the car in person and that interior was just WOW. Now I absolutely love digital interiors, especially because of all the essential information they give me.

What I really use all the time are weather reports and asking MBUX where I can eat something (like a McDonalds, Burger King etc.) - works well on the digital screen.  :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 03, 2020, 09:42:46 AM
The future of car interiors are digital screens, so I think it will age quite "normally".  ;)

I remember when I was still driving the BMW 118i and saw the press photos of the new A-Class and its interior. My first thought about the interior was: "Who needs all that digital stuff?" Then I saw the car in person and that interior was just WOW. Now I absolutely love digital interiors, especially because of all the essential information they give me.

What I really use all the time are weather reports and asking MBUX where I can eat something (like a McDonalds, Burger King etc.) - works well on the digital screen.  :lol:

This image exhausts me, so many screens!

We'll see what happens in the next decade with interfaces and interiors, but I don't think we will consider these overly screened interiors too elegant in a decade or so.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on September 03, 2020, 10:05:55 AM
This image exhausts me, so many screens!

We'll see what happens in the next decade with interfaces and interiors, but I don't think we will consider these overly screened interiors too elegant in a decade or so.

Cars are ever becoming more connected and digitalized. I suspect the many screens in the new S-Class will soon be considered "too few". :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

All top-end luxury cars are outdated after a couple of years and only driven by low-level pimps and drug dealers. You gotta buy a brand new model every 3 years to stay relevant.

Rich

Yep, there's a reason why cars from the 80s and 90s are increasing in value = no screen means not outdated or DIN aftermarket headunit.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 03, 2020, 11:10:44 AM
All top-end luxury cars are outdated after a couple of years and only driven by low-level pimps and drug dealers. You gotta buy a brand new model every 3 years to stay relevant.

That's the game. My question is, what's the point?

Give me buttons, levers, and controls all day.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

CaminoRacer

A restomod 1930s Roll Royce or 1960s Mercedes would be my pick of the ultraluxury rides. No screens, all wood & leather interiors, massive legroom & footrests. And a jar of Grey Poupon.

Morris Minor

Interesting that it's conservatively styled - an evolution. M-B know their customers at this level.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

There's Nothing Wrong With This Picture: Merc's 2021 S-Class Can Turn Its Rear Wheels Up To 10 Degrees

The 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class looks to be quite a special thing, and these photos show one particularly interesting aspect of the luxurious four-door. We're, of course, talking about the four-wheel steering.

While the S-Class has long been in industry leader with its innovative technologies, this is the first time it has been sold with such a feature. This piece of tech goes back to the mid and late 1980s when Japanese automakers like Mazda and Honda pioneered the use of four-wheel steering. Nowadays, heaps of cars feature it, from supercars like the Lamborghini Aventador through to luxury cars like the BMW 7-Series.

Making the system used by the S-Class particularly interesting is the fact that its optional rear-axle steering system can turn the rear wheels up to 10 degrees in the opposite direction to the front wheels at low speeds. To put that into perspective, the 991-generation Porsche 911, which has pioneered rear-axle steering on modern performance cars, only turns its rear wheels up to 2.8 degrees in the opposite direction to the front wheels at low speeds.

The S-Class is exactly the type of vehicle that can benefit from enhanced maneuverability and when the optional rear-axle steering system is fitted, the turning circle of a long-wheelbase model with all-wheel drive is reduced by 6 feet to less than 36 feet.

Of course, there are many other features that make the new S-Class so much better than the outgoing model. For example, it comes equipped with Level 3 automated driving functions that uses the brand's new Drive Pilot system to drive the car in specific road conditions, including in heavy traffic situations or suitable motorway sections in Germany by using a Lidar and a host of other sensors.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/2021-mercedes-benz-s-class-can-turn-its-rear-wheels-up-to-10-degrees/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BENZ BOY15

Am I the only one who can't see the photos? I get question marks.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 18, 2020, 07:24:16 PM
I saw them before, but now they're gone.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 18, 2020, 07:24:16 PM

Apparently this is a thing with CarScoops now. I guess they want you to visit their website. ;)

But here you go...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Out of all of the Color combinations Mercedes could have used to present the Maybach S class, this is what they have chosen?

It looks like a Mansory tuned S class. Seriously Mercedes fuck off.

Horrible.

cawimmer430

Love the wheels and the interior, especially the wood.  :ohyeah:

The New Mercedes-Maybach S-Class Is Here To Redefine Chauffeured-Driven Luxury

Mercedes has a new luxury king in its range in the form of the 2021 Maybach S-Class, an ultra-posh take on the already pretty loaded S-Class primarily designed for chauffeured driving.

The new Mercedes-Maybach S-Class features an 18 cm (7 inches) longer wheelbase, at 3396 mm (133.7 inches), offering an even more spacious environment for the rear passengers compared to its predecessor. There's also an "active noise compensation" system that sends counter-phased audio signals to cancel road noise before it reaches the occupants' ears.

Depending on the market, customers will get to choose between the Mercedes-Maybach S580 4Matic, which is powered by a twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 making 496 HP and has a 48-volt mild-hybrid system that provides an extra 21 HP, and the V12-powered S650, which will continue using the twin-turbo 6.0-liter unit with 621 HP, possibly combined with all-wheel-drive as well.

Selected markets will also receive in the future a plug-in hybrid version of the new Mercedes-Maybach S-Class, featuring a 3.0-liter straight-six petrol engine paired to an electric motor for a combined 503 HP.

Every new Maybach S-Class will come with twin Executive seats that feature a new massage function for your calves, and the Chauffeur package as standard. Rear passengers can even adjust the seat surface, backrest, and legrest to create a continuous and comfortable reclining surface for sleeping.

The optional two-tone paint finish with the dividing line is applied by hand, with the whole process taking up to a week. And, for the first time in a Maybach Mercedes, the rear doors can be electrically operated at the push of a button.

Another interesting detail is the addition of seat belt extenders, a feature usually reserved for Coupes and Cabriolet models. However, the seat belt extenders in the new Maybach S-Class emerge as soon as the MBUX Interior Assist recognizes a corresponding hand movement as an intention to reach the belt.

The MBUX Interior Assist also enables gesture control for the rear occupants, allowing them to open and close the roller sunblind and switch on the reading lights. It even detects when a rear passenger reaches into a defined area of the interior in the dark, automatically switching on a multispot light to help them see better.

The new German limo rides on a specially developed air suspension with its own 'Maybach' mode, to make the journey even smoother than the regular S-Class. When turned on, the 'Maybach' mode tunes the accelerator pedal for a more gentle acceleration, starts off in second gear, and switches the 9-speed automatic into an even smoother operation. Active rear steering is also available to make the new Maybach S-Class more maneuverable and precise, turning the rear wheels up to 10 degrees.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/the-new-mercedes-maybach-s-class-is-here-to-redefine-chauffeured-driven-luxury/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

A handsome exterior design.  Don't like the dash with those screens.

cawimmer430

The 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Has Rather Big Shoes To Fill

Every new S-Class must be noticeably better than its accomplished predecessor, and the same goes for Mercedes' latest flagship sedan.

The German automaker has thrown everything but the kitchen sink at the new S-Class, filling it to the brim with new, cutting-edge technologies in addition to the usual and very expensive materials that have given this luxury limousine its present iconic status.

Carwow is reviewing the new Mercedes S-Class, showing us around the new executive sedan and its advanced systems.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o86qjnOmyXs

The most radical departure can be found inside, where Mercedes went for a completely new take for the interior of the new S-Class. The dashboard is now mostly free of any physical buttons,  and is instead dominated by a portrait-oriented 12.8-inch OLED touchscreen display running the latest MBUX infotainment system and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster with a new 3D mode that doesn't require special glasses.

There are also around 250 LEDs scattered around the cabin, which are there not only to make the S-Class feel even more special but also to actively work with the vehicle's numerous safety features. This includes the LEDs flashing red when, for example, the Active Blind Spot Assist system sends a warning.

Speaking of onboard technologies, the new S-Class also features one of the most impressive rear-axle steering systems in the market, allowing up to 10 degrees of angle for the rear wheels to make it more maneuverable than any other luxury limousine.

However, the best thing is that despite the very obvious tech injection, the new Mercedes S-Class continues to do what is known for: offering exceptional isolation and comfort levels for all occupants.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/12/the-2021-mercedes-benz-s-class-has-rather-big-shoes-to-fill/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

2021 Mercedes S-Class Arrives In America Early Next Year With Six-Figure Starting Price

The 2021 Mercedes S-Class is all-new and getting a significant price hike as the model will start at $109,800 when it arrives in the United States next year.

Costing $15,550 more than its predecessor, the redesigned flagship aims to set "new standards not only for the brand, but for the industry as a whole."

The S-Class will be offered in "three highly-equipped, strategically curated trim lines for the U.S. market to meet the needs of even the most discerning customers."

Kicking things off is the S 500 4MATIC Luxury Line, which comes equipped with an air suspension, a panoramic glass sunroof and 19-inch alloy wheels. The model also has LED lighting units, soft close doors and flush-mounted door handles.

Moving into the cabin, buyers will find a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a 12.8-inch OLED infotainment system with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Other highlights include active multicontour front seats with heating, ventilation and massage.

Elsewhere, there's a wireless smartphone charger, power rear sunshades and an Air Balance fragrance system. The model also has illuminated door sill plates, a 64-color ambient lighting system and a Burmester 3D surround sound system.

An assortment of options will be available including a heated steering wheel, Nappa leather upholstery and different trim. Buyers can also order 20-inch wheels, a Burmester 4D surround sound system, and a 3D Technology Package which adds a three-dimensional digital instrument cluster and an MBUX augmented reality head-up display.

The model can also be equipped with a Warmth & Comfort Package which adds a heated steering wheel, heated front / rear armrests, heated electric rear seats, and an "Energizing Comfort health and wellness system that boosts drivers' attentiveness and well-being while reducing sleepiness and stress."

On the safety front, the model comes standard with the Driver Assistance Package which includes Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC with Route-Based Speed Adaptation, Active Stop-and-Go Assist, and Active Steering Assist with Active Emergency Stop Assist and Active Lane Change Assist functions. Other standard features include Active Brake Assist with a cross-traffic function, Active Speed Limit Assist with Traffic Sign Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist with Exit Warning, and Active Lane Keeping Assist. There's also Active Parking Assist with PARTRONIC, PRE-SAFE PLUS with PRE-SAFE Sound and Car-to-X communications technology.

Power is provided by a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six engine that produces 429 hp (320 kW / 435 PS) and 384 lb-ft (521 Nm) of torque.  The model also has an EQ Boost function that can deliver an additional 21 hp (16 kW /21 PS) and 184 lb-ft (249 Nm) of torque for improved acceleration.

Speaking of performance, buyers can upgrade to the S 580 4MATIC Luxury Line which starts at $116,300. It has a twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 that develops 496 hp (370 kW / 503 PS) and 516 lb-ft (700 Nm) of torque. The powertrain also has the aforementioned EQ Boost function.

Moving up the trim ladder is the AMG Line variant, which starts at $114,100 for the S 500 4MATIC and $120,600 for the S 580 4MATIC. As the name suggests, the model has an AMG body kit, AMG wheels and AMG-branded floor mats.

While the changes are relatively minor, the AMG Line variants can be equipped with additional options including rear-axle steering, 20- and 21-inch wheels, and a Night Package.

Sitting at the top of the range is the S 580 4MATIC Executive Line, which starts at $131,450. It's focused on luxury and comes equipped with a four-zone climate control system, a rear seat wireless smartphone charger and active multicontour rear seats with power adjustment. The model also has the Warmth & Comfort Package, an MBUX rear tablet and a rear seat entertainment system with two 11.6-inch touchscreen displays.

Later down the road, we can expect the Mercedes-Maybach S-Class which features an available V12 and a wheelbase that has been stretched by 7 inches (18 cm).

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/12/2021-mercedes-s-class-arrives-in-america-early-next-year-with-six-figure-starting-price/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on December 18, 2020, 12:36:28 PM
Six figures for a six cylinder... :lol:

You should be glad that you can even get a 6-cylinder in this car, given how retarded and insane the EU[SSR] emission laws are becoming. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de