Future Mercedes EQ Models Will Have Selectable Interior Driving Sounds

Started by cawimmer430, October 14, 2020, 12:46:59 PM

cawimmer430

:hmm:

Future Mercedes EQ Models Will Have Selectable Interior Driving Sounds

Mercedes teased an assortment of electric vehicles last week and now the company has revealed future EQ models will have "selectable soundscapes."

Since electric vehicles are quiet by nature, Mercedes is working to give them a "multi-sensory experience" which will help to make up for the missing V8 rumble.

As part of this effort, a team of audio experts have created different soundscapes which can be accessed by using the MBUX infotainment system. The company didn't go into too many details, but noted they paid attention to recreating the "driving sound" found in traditional vehicles.

The so-called driving sound is pumped through interior speakers and is adjusted in response to nearly a dozen parameters such as acceleration, speed and energy recuperation. It also factors in the selected driving mode as the sound becomes more "dynamic" when Sport mode is selected.

While it's probably something people that will need to experience to fully appreciate, Mercedes said the driving sound was created to awaken emotions and inspire. The company also hinted additional driving sounds could be added in the future as part of over-the-air updates.

Sound will also play an important role elsewhere as the company is developing a holistic sound concept that will also provide drivers with feedback. In particular, owners can expect acoustic cues when the car is started and when a charger is connected.

Of course, exterior sounds are also important and required in a number of markets for safety reasons. As a result, EQ models will have an Acoustic Vehicle Alert System that uses speakers mounted in the bumpers to warn pedestrians when the vehicle is approaching at low speeds.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/future-mercedes-eq-models-will-have-selectable-interior-driving-sounds/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Could they allow owners to just load MP4s or MIDI files?  A car that sounds like Pat Boone's metal album would be incredible.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on October 14, 2020, 01:07:25 PM
Could they allow owners to just load MP4s or MIDI files?  A car that sounds like Pat Boone's metal album would be incredible.

On a German website an article about the EQ/EQS claims it will also work with "charging sounds" to make the act of recharging your EV a more "emotional experience". So basically once the thing has been fully charged it will play happy chimes and sounds.

What are they smoking? :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 15, 2020, 01:21:28 PM
On a German website an article about the EQ/EQS claims it will also work with "charging sounds" to make the act of recharging your EV a more "emotional experience". So basically once the thing has been fully charged it will play happy chimes and sounds.

What are they smoking? :lol:

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 15, 2020, 01:40:42 PM
Good grief.  They've lost all perspective.

Japanese appliances always have little tunes they sing to you. Had a roommate with a nice rice cooker than did that instead of beeping.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 15, 2020, 04:22:52 PM
Japanese appliances always have little tunes they sing to you. Had a roommate with a nice rice cooker than did that instead of beeping.

My washer and dryer play a little tune too. But they're LG, which I believe is a Korean company.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Something about fake sounds through the speakers to "enhance" the driving experience really bothers me.  It's one thing to design the engine or related parts to make the engine sound good.  It's another to just artificially through the speakers create a fake engine sound. 

:huh:

MX793

Quote from: veeman on October 17, 2020, 11:22:20 AM
Something about fake sounds through the speakers to "enhance" the driving experience really bothers me.  It's one thing to design the engine or related parts to make the engine sound good.  It's another to just artificially through the speakers create a fake engine sound. 

But it could sound like a Jetsons car
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

I feel like it's going to a live musical concert where you know the singers are lip syncing and the band is not really playing their instruments.  But the ticket sellers tell you it's the best music you'll ever hear.  Everything about the music is computer software adjusted to take into account ambient temperature, wind speed, surrounding acoustics, and even audience participation. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 15, 2020, 01:40:42 PM
Good grief.  They've lost all perspective.

I feel it's actually consumer research group which force these bizarre decisions. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 18, 2020, 10:51:24 AM
I feel it's actually consumer research group which force these bizarre decisions. :lol:

They're surveying the wrong people.  Too much fantasy crap going on these days.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 18, 2020, 05:34:14 PM
They're surveying the wrong people.  Too much fantasy crap going on these days.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these luxury clients want such bizarre features.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 19, 2020, 12:03:54 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these luxury clients want such bizarre features.
I don't doubt that.  Some people get weird when they have more money than sense.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on October 17, 2020, 11:22:20 AM

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/2018-toyota-concept-i/

TECHNOLOGY THAT UNDERSTANDS PEOPLE (LEARN)

Concept-i gauges the driver's alertness and emotional state using a complex reading and interpretation of their expressions, actions and tone of voice. It compares general information, such as news bulletins on the web, with infor-mation on individuals, such as their social me-dia activity, GPS information and conversation history in the car, estimating their preferences based on topics that re-occur.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 20, 2020, 10:27:13 AM

Concept-i gauges the driver's alertness and emotional state using a complex reading and interpretation of their expressions, actions and tone of voice. It compares general information, such as news bulletins on the web, with infor-mation on individuals, such as their social me-dia activity, GPS information and conversation history in the car, estimating their preferences based on topics that re-occur.

wat the hell
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Given that websites can't even serve a site cookie to EU residents without lawyering up beforehand, yeah, this isn't going to happen.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

That's kind of already happening with MBUX. For example in my car I can say the word "Mercedes" in a normal tone without it reacting. So I can have a conversation with someone and use that word. But when I want the system to do something for me, I say "Hey Mercedes" in somewhat louder and more forced tone and bam, the system responds right away. When I first got the car it would respond to "Mercedes" the first week or two, after that it learned to read my tone when I wanted to use it. Works great.

With the new CLA and other MB models, MBUX now can be operated via gesture control. I'm curious what the system in the new S-Class can do. Technically it's MBUX Version 2.0.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

So if the guy is having a panic/heart attack does the car drive him to a hospital?  That might even be useful.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 20, 2020, 12:59:18 PM
So if the guy is having a panic/heart attack does the car drive him to a hospital?  That might even be useful.

But what about the city traffic? :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

:lol:

Subaru tried doing driver monitoring with my Outback.  It watches to see if your eyes are on the road, and adjusts presets based on a facial recognition scan of the driver.  It's so bad and inconsistent, I just turned it off for awhile.  But it would automatically turn back on after 2 or 3 ignition cycles.  I eventually go fed up, ordered the blank piece of plastic the lower trims get, and ripped the whole module out.  Much better.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on October 22, 2020, 07:26:38 AM
:lol:

Subaru tried doing driver monitoring with my Outback.  It watches to see if your eyes are on the road, and adjusts presets based on a facial recognition scan of the driver.  It's so bad and inconsistent, I just turned it off for awhile.  But it would automatically turn back on after 2 or 3 ignition cycles.  I eventually go fed up, ordered the blank piece of plastic the lower trims get, and ripped the whole module out.  Much better.

So many of the new "cutting edge" features in so many cars interest me not at all, and some are literally undesirable in any form.

I guess I'm an old man screaming at clouds.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator