Lucid Believes Its Main Rival Is Mercedes-Benz, Not Tesla

Started by cawimmer430, October 26, 2020, 07:06:07 AM

cawimmer430

Lucid Believes Its Main Rival Is Mercedes-Benz, Not Tesla

The chief executive of Lucid doesn't consider Tesla as the company's main rival and is instead going after the likes of Mercedes-Benz.

Following the recent unveiling of the all-electric Lucid Air, comparisons were quickly drawn between it and the Tesla Model S. These comparisons gathered momentum as both companies quickly announced tri-motor versions of their all-electric sedans that could soon prove to be the two quickest production cars on sale.

However, during a recent interview with Yahoo Finance's On the Move, Lucid chief executive Peter Rawlinson said the company wants to go beyond what traditional automakers are delivering.

"I would say our main competitor is a car company; I highlight Mercedes Benz in terms of the attributes of Lucid Air," he commented. "We're going after S-class Mercedes, but it's a natural comparison, and I accept that comparison with Tesla. I think it's really important that we start at a high-end position as a true luxury brand. I'm a great believer that the first product defines the brand in way Tesla Model S defined Tesla as a brand."

Rawlinson went on to add that while traditional car manufacturers like GM are developing electric vehicles, such as the GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq, they are not acting fast enough.

"The traditional automakers are just not rising, stepping up to the plate fast enough," he said. "That's really why Lucid's come onto the scene, to accelerate this process."

He added a key way to measure electric vehicles is the number of miles they can travel per kilowatt-hour from the battery pack. He says traditional OEMs are also lagging behind by this metric.

"We're not seeing high levels of efficiency from these other automakers, Tesla's right up there. Lucid is surpassing Tesla. We're getting over 4 and a half miles per kilowatt-hour. I'm not seeing anything close to that from these traditional automakers."

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/lucid-says-its-main-rival-is-mercedes-benz-not-tesla/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

FoMoJo

Amazing how many of these EV startups there are.  Few, if any, will survive.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 26, 2020, 07:31:19 AM
Amazing how many of these EV startups there are.  Few, if any, will survive.

It's a drop in the bucket compared to how many auto companies existed for a short while from 1900 to 1930!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_motor_vehicle_brands
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2020, 09:16:04 AM
It's a drop in the bucket compared to how many auto companies existed for a short while from 1900 to 1930!

Certainly most were absorbed by the "Big Three" in the US.  The same looks to be happening with the EV startups, with the exception of Tesla.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MrH

I think Lucid has a shot at making it.  Pretty excited to see what this thing is like.

They're right in targeting the ultra rich, ultra luxury market.  That's really the only area where they stand at making a profit and surviving.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2020, 09:16:04 AM

That's back before the EPA and NHSTASHA fucked over any little guys that wanted to build cars.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 26, 2020, 10:18:57 AM
That's back before the EPA and NHSTASHA fucked over any little guys that wanted to build cars.

I think Henry Ford is more to blame. Mass production and economies of scale makes it easy to provide a better product for less money. Puts the little guys out of business pretty quickly, except for the high end luxury brands.

Morris Minor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 26, 2020, 07:06:07 AM
"...a key way to measure electric vehicles is the number of miles they can travel per kilowatt-hour from the battery pack."
This should be etched in stone and figure prominently in all EV evaluations, tests, and comparisons.
kWh/100 km
It's a key measure of goodness and manufacturers' corporate cynicism levels.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2020, 10:40:02 AM
I think Henry Ford is more to blame. Mass production and economies of scale makes it easy to provide a better product for less money. Puts the little guys out of business pretty quickly, except for the high end luxury brands.
Many high end luxury brands go out of business during depressions.  This might happen again.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 26, 2020, 10:42:11 AM
Many high end luxury brands go out of business during depressions.  This might happen again.

True, but tell that to the manufacturers of kit cars. They build lots of kits for cars that couldn't pass guvment regulations for complete cars.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 26, 2020, 10:42:11 AM

That used the be the case, but it seems like lately the rich get richer during depressions/recessions and many high end luxury brands survive just fine.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 26, 2020, 11:13:06 AM
That used the be the case, but it seems like lately the rich get richer during depressions/recessions and many high end luxury brands survive just fine.
Yes, the rich tend to make more money during recessions.  The financial sector tends to work towards their advantage.

MrH

When the money printer go BRRRRRR, asset inflation is real.  The rich are the only ones that benefit here.  The more assets you have, the better.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Few, if any, luxury brands are independent and stand alone companies anymore.  They are all part of larger conglomerates.  Or they branch out beyond luxury vehicles into commercial vehicles or other ventures. This allows them to weather storms.

In the early days of the automobile, you had many small, independent coach builders or automakers vying for luxury buyers, these were mostly eradicated by the Depression.  The strongest of them survived.  Some others were snapped up by competitors.  Most just went under.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5