Cadillac dealership buyout

Started by CaminoRacer, December 27, 2020, 11:30:04 AM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 27, 2020, 11:30:04 AM
Hot-take on the dealerships vs GM:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/avoidable-contact/avoidable-contact-86-you-bet-your-calais-id-take-that-cadillac-buyout/
Avoidable Contact #86: You bet your Calais I'd take that Cadillac buyout
That was a brilliant piece. I'd put my general automotive knowledge towards the upper end of the bell curve. But ask me what I know about Cadillac's lineup... practically nothing ummm...

"Escalades are good"
"Tarted-up Buicks/Chevrolets with impossible to remember names"
"They're the stupid wankers that are in the news for putting agricultural four-bangers in their cars"
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MX793

Cadillac has produced some legitimately good cars in the past 15 years or so.  Unfortunately, it's hard to shed an image that they built over 30 years of building large boats for senior citizens and members of organized crime.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

The article mentions the Blackwing. I imagine that Caddy service departments are pretty pissed about getting trained up for a new engine that went absolutely nowhere.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2020, 11:40:54 AM
Cadillac has produced some legitimately good cars in the past 15 years or so.  Unfortunately, it's hard to shed an image that they built over 30 years of building large boats for senior citizens and members of organized crime.
Don't forget the President...or is that covered by "senior citizens and members of organized crime."
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on December 28, 2020, 12:29:48 PM
The article mentions the Blackwing. I imagine that Caddy service departments are pretty pissed about getting trained up for a new engine that went absolutely nowhere.
The Blackwing was one of the (the) most interesting engine produced by GM in decades..."Hot 'V'."
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 28, 2020, 12:41:24 PM
The Blackwing was one of the (the) most interesting engine produced by GM in decades..."Hot 'V'."

Yeah, but they put a bullet in its head after they sold a few hundred of them...

Laconian

IMO, Cadillac doesn't have anywhere to go but up with its non-Escalade lineup. Maybe we should feel optimistic about the EV pivot. The Bolt certainly demonstrates that Cadillac can do a good job with an all-electric drivetrain. The ELR was a spectacular failure, but they were building off hybrid bits for that car, and hybrids are laaaame.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on December 28, 2020, 12:43:48 PM
Yeah, but they put a bullet in its head after they sold a few hundred of them...
They might become collector's items then, like the old FE "SOC" engine.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on December 28, 2020, 12:46:21 PM
IMO, Cadillac doesn't have anywhere to go but up with its non-Escalade lineup. Maybe we should feel optimistic about the EV pivot. The Bolt certainly demonstrates that Cadillac can do a good job with an all-electric drivetrain. The ELR was a spectacular failure, but they were building off hybrid bits for that car, and hybrids are laaaame.
This. It's getting its lunch eaten by Hyundai Motor for God's sake. Cadillac has allowed itself to become a 100% Infiniti-style shitshow - right down to the nomenclature debacle. The all-or-nothing EV gamble is worth taking IMO. If it doesn't work out, at least they'll crash & burn in style.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

AutobahnSHO

Yeah I really think GM needs to make each brand unique. Slapping different badges on the same cars might work for uneducated dummies and bean counting, but long term it means they're locked into limited options and spending all their time on non-critical work (tweaking the appearance of the same car multiple times).
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 29, 2020, 05:59:23 AM
Yeah I really think GM needs to make each brand unique. Slapping different badges on the same cars might work for uneducated dummies and bean counting, but long term it means they're locked into limited options and spending all their time on non-critical work (tweaking the appearance of the same car multiple times).
Is there a major car manufacturer that doesn't do that?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 29, 2020, 05:59:23 AM

On the other hand, you get the GM of old, that spend money designing, oh 5 completely different 7 liter  V8 engines at the same time...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Oh the Ford and other brand re-badging is dumb too.

I'm ok with the Toyobaru as both manufacturers got a better car than either one working alone, but ick on the rest.
Will