Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 22, 2019, 03:33:23 PM
Fuck that.

The GM "Mark of Excellence" hip scar is a badge of honor.

Had a mirror image of "GM" burned into the palm of my hand like that guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

:lol: I was thinking of that very same thing. Someone with Photoshop skillz should add the Mark of Excellence to this:

2o6

I was watching a Facebook video, and the Mexican market Mazda 2/Toyota Yaris doesn't have a rear bumper/absorber. There's mounting points for it, and obviously a bumper cover, but no absorber.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 25, 2019, 05:53:20 PM
I was watching a Facebook video, and the Mexican market Mazda 2/Toyota Yaris doesn't have a rear bumper/absorber. There's mounting points for it, and obviously a bumper cover, but no absorber.

IIRC, Ford Fiestas or Focuses sold in Latin America had the side impact bars in the doors removed to save costs since those countries have less stringent safety standards.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Thank you regulations
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Came across this BMW 2-Series Active Tourer plugin-hybrid charging its batteries from the owner's home. My first thought was - some kids are gonna walk by and pull the plug for the fun of it, or cut through the wiring with a knife or a scissor...  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 28, 2019, 07:09:41 AM
Came across this BMW 2-Series Active Tourer plugin-hybrid charging its batteries from the owner's home. My first thought was - some kids are gonna walk by and pull the plug for the fun of it, or cut through the wiring with a knife or a scissor...  :tounge:
Or just steal that plug thing. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 28, 2019, 07:12:01 AM
Or just steal that plug thing. :huh:

Yep. I totally trust the current generation of idiotic German kids (Generation Snowflake) to do that.  :pullover: :(
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 28, 2019, 07:16:46 AM
(Generation Snowflake)

:rolleyes:

Who's more of a snowflake - people who are willing to sacrifice convenience for the sake of the environment, or people who are constantly complaining about the prospect of having to wait a few extra minutes for their future EVs to charge up? ;)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 28, 2019, 07:16:46 AM
Yep. I totally trust the current generation of idiotic German kids (Generation Snowflake) to do that.  :pullover: :(
Odd that someone who does so much whining and crying calls other people snowflakes
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Cut through wiring with a knife or scissors..........yeah, that's smart. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 28, 2019, 10:29:42 AM

What are you supposed to use, a chainsaw? :hammerhead:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 28, 2019, 10:42:43 AM
What are you supposed to use, a chainsaw? :hammerhead:

You are so revolting
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

I can assure you that's something a hooligan will only do once.

A co-worker who used to be an electrician doing installs on new construction once told me a story of some thieves that broke into a construction site to steal any copper for scrap money.  Moron took some cutters to a heavy gauge main power conduit.  The wires were live.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

93JC

Quote from: MX793 on May 28, 2019, 11:08:59 AM

A co-worker who used to be an electrician doing installs on new construction once told me a story of some thieves that broke into a construction site to steal any copper for scrap money.  Moron took some cutters to a heavy gauge main power conduit.  The wires were live.

And I don't doubt the thieves were dead. And it probably hurt the entire time they were dying.

Soup DeVille

They should follow the Brits here, and outlaw and register such dangerous implements.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on May 28, 2019, 11:08:59 AM

You'd be surprised what people can get away with.

Cutting a live household wire with dykes or wire cutters will put a deep notch in the blades, trip the breaker amd let pretty sparks out of the wires, but likely won't hurt the hooligan himself.

Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for transformers to get stolen right off the pads. Get a tow truck, hook up to the lift rings and drive away- the wires will break eventually. Sometimes it would kill the tow truck, but we never found any dead people (thank god).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

I tire so much about hearing about Nissan's "fall from grace".

Nissan was mediocre in the 1990's, and their switch to CVT's is entirely their own doing. The merger with a Renault happened because Nissan was doing poorly and was almost bankrupt.

Nissan sucks.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on May 28, 2019, 01:00:13 PM

Nissan was mediocre in the 1990's, and their switch to CVT's is entirely their own doing. The merger with a Renault happened because Nissan was doing poorly and was almost bankrupt.

Nissan sucks.

As a quasi Nissan fanboy I agree

Even their performance cars had/have asterisks. The GT-R is hauls the mail but has zero character and I have yet to drive a Nissan with even a decent shifter/clutch. The Maxima's peak is nearly 20 or 30 years ago depending on what you count, and its spent most of the last 2 decades as the Japanese Bonneville (which isn't necessarily a bad thing but def nothing to brag about)

But I still think the current Z and Q50 are decent, especially for the money

The internet is contrarian to the point of nonsense

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on May 28, 2019, 01:00:13 PM

Nissan sucks.

They sucked a lot less 15 years ago though.

shp4man

Wimmer is correct. The current generation of young men are mostly snowflakes.

Mommy! Mommy! Call somebody! I got a flat tire!

:lol:

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 28, 2019, 01:14:15 PM
They sucked a lot less 15 years ago though.

I suppose.

2o6

Quote from: shp4man on May 28, 2019, 01:33:34 PM

No one is like this. I don't understand where the "snowflake doesn't know how to do anything" trope came from. Millennials are too poor to not know how to do anything. If anything, it's boomers who have the disposable income and lack of knowledge that has them overpaying for dumb shit.

12,000 RPM

Calling others snowflakes seems to be the calling card of actual snowflakes.

giant_mtb

Me, a millenial, just changed a tire for a couple in their 40s on their Subaru on the side of the road on Friday afternoon.  I was behind them on the highway for about 4-5 miles before the guy realized his tire was flat and pulled over, and the only reason he did was because the tire pressure light came on.  Had that shit done in 10 minutes...it was obvious to me they wouldn't have had a clue on their own. :huh:

shp4man

Theoretically, not knowing how to change a tire could be fatal. Middle of summer, Nevada desert, out of cell phone range, no water to drink and no or "not stopping" traffic.
Slow flakes melt in those conditions.
I taught my daughters how to change a tire.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 28, 2019, 12:55:19 PM
You'd be surprised what people can get away with.

Cutting a live household wire with dykes or wire cutters will put a deep notch in the blades, trip the breaker amd let pretty sparks out of the wires, but likely won't hurt the hooligan himself.

Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for transformers to get stolen right off the pads. Get a tow truck, hook up to the lift rings and drive away- the wires will break eventually. Sometimes it would kill the tow truck, but we never found any dead people (thank god).

I've worked on cell towers where thieves had clearly cut through several 6 AWG cables, hot with 48 VDC, with a reciprocating saw. And for that, they got about $10 in scrap copper. Yay.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 28, 2019, 01:47:57 PM
Me, a millenial, just changed a tire for a couple in their 40s on their Subaru on the side of the road on Friday afternoon.  I was behind them on the highway for about 4-5 miles before the guy realized his tire was flat and pulled over, and the only reason he did was because the tire pressure light came on.  Had that shit done in 10 minutes...it was obvious to me they wouldn't have had a clue on their own. :huh:

Yeah, those Gen Xers are pretty clueless. :lol:

But seriously, good on you. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on May 28, 2019, 01:37:50 PM
I don't understand where the "snowflake doesn't know how to do anything" trope came from.

It's just a convenient way for conservatives to ignore liberals/progressives/millennials/whatever they want to label us without having to come up with actual reasons why.