Built in Detroit Roxor to start at $15,549.

Started by Payman, March 05, 2018, 07:32:51 AM

MrH

Seems easier to just get a used Wrangler you can drive on the road :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on August 10, 2018, 11:38:01 AM
I think Mahindra knew what they were doing insofar as they're very careful to have changed the grille, removed most of the dashboard, deleted turn signals, etc. and marketed the vehicle exclusively as a "side-by-side" competitor. They probably knew FCA would have issue with this truck being sold here, so prepared themselves in advance to make the argument "Hey, look, we changed the look of the thing and made it so it's not street-legal and we've marketed it as an off-highway utility vehicle; we're not competing in the same market as JeepĀ®."

What will end up working against them is that in some states and municipalities the Roxor is legal to drive on-road. (I.e. in places where golf carts, SxS and ATVs are street-legal.) It's also incredibly easy to get aftermarket CJ-5 parts to make a Roxor "street-legal".

Well that depends on the jurisdiction, of course. No matter what street legal additions you put on a Roxor, you'll never be able to register it for the road in Ontario, and I bet you can't in any other province either.

Payman

Quote from: MrH on August 10, 2018, 11:49:10 AM
Seems easier to just get a used Wrangler you can drive on the road :huh:

That can be said for any SBS ATV, which is basically saying there's no point to them, why bother.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 10, 2018, 09:42:52 AM
Agreed.  I feel like Mahindra knew what they were doing and had/have their asses covered.  Don't worry, Jeep, the Roxor really isn't going to cut into Wrangler sales.  It's pretty niche for the simple fact that it's extremely spartan and not street legal. 

What FCA really needs to do is start making an off road only Jeep to compete with the SBSs. Call it a CJ9, and make absolutely no pretense about it being an on highway vehicle.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Cars like the first Land Cruiser are also remarkable close to the Jeep styling.

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 11, 2018, 07:43:33 AM
What FCA really needs to do is start making an off road only Jeep to compete with the SBSs. Call it a CJ9, and make absolutely no pretense about it being an on highway vehicle.

What it really boils down to, is that Jeep is butthurt it didn't think of this. A whole new segment to exploit.

Laconian

Quote from: Rockraven on August 11, 2018, 12:19:17 PM
What it really boils down to, is that Jeep is butthurt it didn't think of this. A whole new segment to exploit.

Road-legal Jeeps are selling quite well, and they probably don't want to cannibalize their own market.

Jeep could spin up a sub brand or invest in Polaris or something.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on August 11, 2018, 12:16:24 PM
Cars like the first Land Cruiser are also remarkable close to the Jeep styling.

The Land Cruiser was sued- successfully. After the BJs though, later designs diverged enough to avoid further lawsuits.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on August 11, 2018, 12:22:36 PM
Road-legal Jeeps are selling quite well, and they probably don't want to cannibalize their own market.

Jeep could spin up a sub brand or invest in Polaris or something.

A non road legal Jeep couldn't possibly be a threat to their current sales.

2o6

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Its a half million unit per year segment. Guaranteed some people care.

Soup DeVille

Payman

Soup DeVille

I think its fair to say that young male gay black urban dwelling creatives aren't exactly the target audience here.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQUf9Y1Oi0

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 11, 2018, 12:23:10 PM
The Land Cruiser was sued- successfully. After the BJs though, later designs diverged enough to avoid further lawsuits.

Did not know that, interesting.

CaminoRacer

SBS are the way to go if you're gonna do a lot of adventuring. Don't have to worry about breaking your main vehicle and they're built to withstand more from the factory, no modding your Jeep necessary
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

93JC

... except that a Jeep is street-legal, and in most places side-by-sides aren't. You have to get your SxS to wherever it is you're going "adventuring", usually meaning truck and trailer.

CaminoRacer

Yeah? That's the point. And then if you break it, you just tow it home.

I'd rather get an RZR that is dedicated to off-road fun than a Jeep that has to compromise between the street and trail.

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on August 11, 2018, 03:40:53 PM
... except that a Jeep is street-legal, and in most places side-by-sides aren't. You have to get your SxS to wherever it is you're going "adventuring", usually meaning truck and trailer.

No, you have to buy a house correctly. Where you can leave your driveway and just go. Like me. Suck it.

CaminoRacer

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 11, 2018, 06:32:07 PM
Jeeps also need registration & insurance.

A lot of places now require registration and insurance to operate ATVs on public land/trails.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on August 11, 2018, 06:56:48 PM
A lot of places now require registration and insurance to operate ATVs on public land/trails.

ORV stickers and insurance are a fraction of real car insurance; its less than even motorcycle insurance. And it doesn't apply to everybody everywhere.

93JC

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 11, 2018, 03:51:54 PM
Yeah? That's the point. And then if you break it, you just tow it home.

I'd rather get an RZR that is dedicated to off-road fun than a Jeep that has to compromise between the street and trail.

Obviously a street-legal SUV has to make some compromises; to say "yeah, that's the point, if you break a side-by-side you just tow it home" is failing to acknowledge how incredibly impractical that is for many people. You make it sound like people ought to just have a truck and trailer at their disposal, and ignore the costs of that. A street-legal SUV is a hell of a lot more convenient to own, precisely because you can drive it on public roads to get it to trailheads. If you don't live right by a trailhead and don't already have a truck and trailer to tow the thing around in a side-by-side is, frankly: pointless, stupid, and preposterously expensive.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 11, 2018, 06:32:07 PM
Jeeps also need registration & insurance.

Quote from: MX793 on August 11, 2018, 06:56:48 PM

:hesaid:

Here you're not allowed to drive an "off-highway vehicle" on public land without valid registration and insurance.

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on August 11, 2018, 06:27:45 PM
No, you have to buy a house correctly. Where you can leave your driveway and just go. Like me. Suck it.

:rockon:

That's one great thing about a small town.  Or virtually anywhere in the UP.  You're very unlikely to be pulled over on/in an ORV cruising through town to get on the trail unless you're being a goon. I've ridden through town dozens of times and seen cops multiple times and have yet to be stopped. 

Also nice that the shop is 2 blocks from the trail.  But I'll buzz through town if I wanna hit a different spot.

Soup DeVille

A street legal SUV that's actually used off road is usually either well modified, or a factory option package that cost equal to what a trailer and a decent SBS will cost. Look at a Rubicon versus a base Wrangler, or even better a Raptor versus an F150.

Plus, driving your trail rig everyday costs money in gas, while wearing down your expensive MT tires, and all in all giving you a worse on-road experience.

Cost wise, I'd bet its a wash a best; and that before the inevitable repairs and wear and tear start to show.

giant_mtb

One of the things something like a Roxor has over a SBS as a true adventure vehicle is cargo space.  Not much space on a SBS for multiple days worth of camping gear, especially if both seats are occupied.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 11, 2018, 08:27:02 PM
One of the things something like a Roxor has over a SBS as a true adventure vehicle is cargo space.  Not much space on a SBS for multiple days worth of camping gear, especially if both seats are occupied.

A 4 seater RZR might be close if you pack the back seats with gear. Although the Roxor probably competes with the more utilitarian models instead of the racy RZRs

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 11, 2018, 09:23:00 PM
A 4 seater RZR might be close if you pack the back seats with gear. Although the Roxor probably competes with the more utilitarian models instead of the racy RZRs

Yeah. 4 seat SBS's are weird, though. I'd pick a Roxor over one any day.