New Jeep in the Family

Started by Tave, September 19, 2018, 06:26:53 PM

Tave

So this has been in the works for awhile. My GF ordered a 2018 Wrangler a few months ago and it's been slowly making its way across the country and the Pacific. Finally got into port yesterday and we were able to pick it up this morning. I've been playing around with it while she's at work. We're stoked.

Unlimited Rubicon, hardtop w/ the V6 and 8sp auto.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

RADIOLOGI$T! Very nice, the Big Island would be its natural habitat.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Tave

The new one is leaps and bounds ahead NVH-wise of the JK, which I didn't think was that bad for a great offroader w/ removable body panels. My parents have a late model and love it quirks and all.

The JL is a vehicle most anyone could be happy with as a daily. I've been wandering around on the highway and dirt in the tradewinds today and it feels up to par with any modern fullsize pickup while being way easier to place and twice the handler. Still feels floaty compared to the pseudo-SUVs and CUVs but not a deal breaker whatsoever.

And the Rubicon, oh the Rubicon—was bombing some washboards earlier and it felt like driving on glass.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

veeman

Congratulations! The pictures didn't come through, although maybe that's just my iPhone.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Tave

Pics not working for anyone else? I took some more last night, I'll try another host.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Nice Jeep.

I've driven my car on worse. :devil:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Tave on September 20, 2018, 12:39:19 PM
Pics not working for anyone else? I took some more last night, I'll try another host.

Quote from: Tave on September 19, 2018, 06:26:53 PM
So this has been in the works for awhile. My GF ordered a 2018 Wrangler a few months ago and it's been slowly making its way across the country and the Pacific. Finally got into port yesterday and we were able to pick it up this morning. I've been playing around with it while she's at work. We're stoked.

Unlimited Rubicon, hardtop w/ the V6 and 8sp auto.

Other than playing around with the Jeep, what have you been doing down there?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Tave

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 20, 2018, 12:45:19 PM
Nice Jeep.

I've driven my car on worse. :devil:

None of those are 4WD roads other than the first shot in the OP, which gets pretty hairy. I was trying to find a good spot to show the ruts but couldn't find a space wide enough to pull over and also capture the mountain in the background.

Tave

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2018, 12:45:45 PM
Other than playing around with the Jeep, what have you been doing down there?

Endless yard and housework. Exercise and plenty of swimming at the beach. We also adopted a stray puppy the other day from the animal shelter, so I'm training her and trying to stop her and the cats from eating each other.

I also volunteered to transport wounded native birds to and from an aviary conservatory/rehab facility, but so far haven't been called.

Tave

Oh and finding the best roads for the Miata, of course.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Tave on September 20, 2018, 01:07:59 PM
Endless yard and housework. Exercise and plenty of swimming at the beach. We also adopted a stray puppy the other day from the animal shelter, so I'm training her and trying to stop her and the cats from eating each other.

I also volunteered to transport wounded native birds to and from an aviary conservatory/rehab facility, but so far haven't been called.
Do you plan on doing any 'lawyering' down there?

Sorry if I sound like a parent.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Hawaii had some really weird trade protections for licensing and such back when I had the potential of getting a job there; does the same apply to the bar exams?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

These new pics came through, at least for me.  Awesome!  I'm stoked that the highway ride is more manageable even with those big knobby tires than the last generation.  Whenever the new Wrangler Pick-up comes around, it'll be sweet. 

Tave

Yeah they don't offer reciprocity for any out-of-state law licenses. Right now the plan is to take the February bar, but if I find something else in the meantime, I'd be fine with that too. I like practicing, but it's such an enormous amount of stress and huge time commitment that I wouldn't be crushed if I moved onto something a little more relaxed. I would love having a job I can leave at work, if that makes any sense. With law there's always something you're worried about or thinking you should do even when you go home.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on September 20, 2018, 02:02:50 PM
Yeah they don't offer reciprocity for any out-of-state law licenses. Right now the plan is to take the February bar, but if I find something else in the meantime, I'd be fine with that too. I like practicing, but it's such an enormous amount of stress and huge time commitment that I wouldn't be crushed if I moved onto something a little more relaxed. I would love having a job I can leave at work, if that makes any sense. With law there's always something you're worried about or thinking you should do even when you go home.

For the electrical license I would have needed, I would not only have to take their test, but have a certain number of classroom hours at a Hawaiian school, or the personal endorsement of one of their instructors.

r0tor

Island life suits a wrangler very well. 
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Will

giant_mtb

I like that those tires come stock. :rockon:

CALL_911

Idk why but I've never really liked the 4 door ones. Regardless, that thing is perfect for HI and the new ones are seriously nice. Congratulations man and I continue to be jealous as fuck of you. Job well done

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 20, 2018, 02:46:22 PM
For the electrical license I would have needed, I would not only have to take their test, but have a certain number of classroom hours at a Hawaiian school, or the personal endorsement of one of their instructors.
Shades of the old closed-trade guilds in the UK. Enshrined in law that you had to be part of the brotherhood, or you'd get your knees broken.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤