2018/2019 Suzuki Jimny

Started by cawimmer430, September 25, 2018, 05:45:06 PM

cawimmer430

Wouldn't this be such a great little SUV for the US? The only engine available is a 102-horsepower 1.5-l naturally aspirated gasoline engine - and a 5-speed manual (4-speed automatic is optional). Sounds like fun off-road!  :rockon:

Well-Equipped 2019 Suzuki Jimny Starts From €17,915 In Germany

Suzuki is gearing up for the European market launch of its all-new Jimny and that can only mean one thing: it has finally put a price on its tiny off-roader.

Germany is one of the first countries where Suzuki has released pricing for the Jimny, which starts at €17,915 (approximately $20,922), including VAT. That sum will buy you the entry-level Comfort model equipped with a five-speed manual transmission. As Japanese brands have accustomed us, standard equipment for the Jimny Comfort is more than decent.

It includes air conditioning, CD player with MP3 playback, DAB radio, Bluetooth connectivity, front power windows, cruise control with speed limiter, heated front seats, height-adjustable multifunction steering wheel, power mirrors, light sensor, and fog lights. Upgrading to the four-speed automatic transmission costs €1,180.

The other trim level available in Germany is Comfort+, offered exclusively with the five-speed manual gearbox. Available from €19,985 ($23,330), it's more content-rich thanks to features like LED headlights, automatic climate control, an audio system with smartphone connectivity and navigation, leather steering wheel, heated mirrors, and a cargo box.

It's also got upgraded styling due to the 15-inch alloys, tinted rear windows, black mirror caps, and body-color door handles. The only optional extras are the metallic paint (€500) and two-tone metallic paint scheme (€330) — the latter only available for the Comfort+.

Standard safety features include an autonomous emergency braking system and a traffic sign recognition system for the first time. Too bad the Jimny only got three stars in Euro NCAP crash tests.

All Suzuki Jimny models feature the same technical platform consisting of a ladder frame chassis, Allgrip Pro part-time 4WD system with low range gearing, a 102 PS (101 hp) 1.5-liter naturally aspirated gasoline engine, and a five-speed manual transmission (a four-speed auto is optional).

The claimed average fuel economy for the manual model is 6.8 l/100 km (41.5 mpg UK/34.6 mpg US), with corresponding CO2 emissions of 154 g/km. The automatic version averages 7.5 l/100 km (37.6 mpg UK/31.3 mpg US) and 170 g/km CO2.

The 2019 Jimny's German market debut will take place on October 27-28.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGnrZDuCUwQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPwXTWsFI4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsIaFimKRl8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2jyEpze6vM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmmZKenSYFs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQQV5K7OnE
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

I love it; but nobody would buy it.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 26, 2018, 06:08:21 AM
I love it; but nobody would buy it.

Yup. 105 hp would never fly these days.
RIP Suzuki of America.

Xer0

This thing is super cool looking.  I don't see it selling any less than something like a BRZ/FRS.  Does need a bit more power though, but things with 109hp sell in the US already.

2o6

This car is a Kei Car with wider fenders. The 125HP much larger Nissan Kicks does fine.

I think the Jimny would be the best selling Suzuki in the US if ever introduced here (although Suzuki Auto NA is dead). Especially if it had another set of doors.

giant_mtb

What the Jeep Reneage? Compass? should have been.

cawimmer430

Does it really need more horsepower? Seems like a light and FUN car and I doubt more horsepower will add to the driving enjoyment.  :praise:

I suspect for example that in Germany the buyers of these off-readers are literally all forest rangers, farmers and people who own property and need something small and capable to drive around it. A friend of mine, his farther is in such a situation. He owns the last generation Jimny - and a Lamborghini.... tractor. 3-cylinder diesel... :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

RomanChariot

I love it. I test drove a Suzuki Samurai in 1986 and they only had 63hp. It was bare bones and slow on the highway but it was a lot of fun. They have a bit of a cult status but it is hard to find one that isn't either beat to death or heavily modified. I would love to see this come to the United States along with some true small pickups like they had in the '80s.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 26, 2018, 02:44:24 PM
Does it really need more horsepower? Seems like a light and FUN car and I doubt more horsepower will add to the driving enjoyment.  :praise:

I suspect for example that in Germany the buyers of these off-readers are literally all forest rangers, farmers and people who own property and need something small and capable to drive around it. A friend of mine, his farther is in such a situation. He owns the last generation Jimny - and a Lamborghini.... tractor. 3-cylinder diesel... :lol:

No, it doesn't.

As mentioned the old Samurai had 63 HP, and that has become a sort of cult 4 wheeler all in its own right. 100 some odd HP is just fine for such a small rig, and more than enough for any reasonable situation.

But it wouldn't sell here.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AltinD

Apparently is unsafe, with only 3 stars awarded on crash tests

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 26, 2018, 04:04:42 PM
No, it doesn't.

As mentioned the old Samurai had 63 HP, and that has become a sort of cult 4 wheeler all in its own right. 100 some odd HP is just fine for such a small rig, and more than enough for any reasonable situation.

I think it could have a niche. Like, 10k units a year.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 26, 2018, 04:04:42 PM
No, it doesn't.

It won't have mass appeal, but I can see this car being popular with true off-road enthusiasts and folks who want to be different and/or who view larger SUVs as wasteful.

Also, 102-horsepower today are not like 102-horsepower of the 1990s or early 2000s. I suspect this thing is actually quite zippy. You won't blow anyone away at the 1/4 mile strip, but in town, on the road and off-road it should be more than enough power. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Speed_Racer

I saw a comment somewhere about how Suzuki could sell it at their moto/ATV dealers as a non-road legal side x side, like a Roxor or Polaris Razor. Interesting idea.

Payman

Quote from: AltinD on September 26, 2018, 04:07:50 PM
Apparently is unsafe, with only 3 stars awarded on crash tests

Is this tongue in cheek? Because being able to manage a 3 star rating seems pretty remarkable to me.

93JC

I think the point being made is that the Samurai—which was an Americanized Jimny—was killed off and replaced because of a perceived lack of 'safety'. The new one has the same problem.

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on September 27, 2018, 06:17:50 PM
I think the point being made is that the Samurai—which was an Americanized Jimny—was killed off and replaced because of a perceived lack of 'safety'. The new one has the same problem.

It does? We're talking about 2019 crash standards here. 3 stars is average, which is pretty darn good for a small SUV.

93JC

3 stars is thoroughly mediocre.

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on September 28, 2018, 07:55:41 AM
3 stars is thoroughly mediocre.

Is it fair to label the Jimny as "unsafe"? You don't want to try a Scandanavian Flick on dry asphalt, but for a small SUV it's perfectly fine, and much safer than its predecessors.

93JC

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't really care about crash test ratings (all they mean is that a car is good/bad at meeting a particular test criteria, not necessarily that one car is 'safer' than another). But the buying public does. And they don't care whether it's fair to label a car as unsafe or not.

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on September 28, 2018, 08:48:22 AM
Don't get me wrong, I personally don't really care about crash test ratings (all they mean is that a car is good/bad at meeting a particular test criteria, not necessarily that one car is 'safer' than another). But the buying public does. And they don't care whether it's fair to label a car as unsafe or not.

The buying public that cares about crash test ratings aren't looking at this type of vehicle in the first place. Samurai enthusiasts never gave a rats ass about crash survivability.

93JC

Yeah, but frankly there aren't enough enthusiasts to support sales alone. They need 'unthusiasts' who would buy one for looks, or 'lifestyle', or whatever else random reasons people buy Jeep Wranglers.

Soup DeVille

Buyers of safe, normal family vehicles care. Buyers of this wouldn't.

The larger and more mainstream Wrangler has a 3-star rating too.

2o6

The Dacia Logan only gets three stars.

Unless it super failed, I don't think anyone will care.

Also, I think EURONCAP also adds in stuff like active braking and collision avoidance as part of the score, and that seems to be automatically worth one star. I don't think this car has many of those systems.

Also, I don't think Suzuki has very high sales targets for it; I mean it's a TWO door SUV. If they wanted sales, they would release a 5-door variant.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on September 28, 2018, 09:18:03 AM
Yeah, but frankly there aren't enough enthusiasts to support sales alone. They need 'unthusiasts' who would buy one for looks, or 'lifestyle', or whatever else random reasons people buy Jeep Wranglers.

It could have a niche. It's much smaller than a wrangler, and likely cheaper. Wranglers are big vehicles.

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 28, 2018, 09:22:16 AM

Also, I think EURONCAP also adds in stuff like active braking and collision avoidance as part of the score, and that seems to be automatically worth one star. I don't think this car has many of those systems.

That, plus the pedestrian impact rating also effects the score, where the Jimny did poorly.

Still, the actual occupant protection could be better.

The Jimny got an excellent score when it comes to 6 year olds in car seats, and 10 year olds in boosters though, where it scored as well as the new Touareg, and much better then the new Ford Tourneo, and actually slightly better then the new Audi A6.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/suzuki/jimny/33370

Payman

Quote from: Galaxy on September 28, 2018, 12:06:56 PM
That, plus the pedestrian impact rating also effects the score, where the Jimny did poorly.

The Jimny got an excellent score when it comes to 6 year olds in car seats, and 10 year olds in boosters though, where it scored as well as the new Touareg, and much better then the new Ford Tourneo, and actually slightly better then the new Audi A6.

Well there's the problem. Not many pedestrians in the woods. They should have gone with the bear/deer/angry grouse impact rating tests.

Galaxy

I think Sweden still has the Moose evasion test.

Payman

Also, what does "did poorly" mean for an SUV/truck pedestrian impact test result? Death wasn't immediate?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on September 28, 2018, 12:06:56 PM

Yeahhhh nobody is buying this to attempt to shove a car seat in the back.

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 29, 2018, 07:39:11 AM
Yeahhhh nobody is buying this to attempt to shove a car seat in the back.

I dön't know people will do with this. I would have assumed no body buys a Wrangler to drive the kids to school but....