2020 Ford "Baby" Bronco

Started by Payman, November 13, 2018, 09:55:48 AM

Payman

Eye of the Tiger

WTF, I thought it was going to be a Ranger wagon with retro styling. Now it's just a restyled Escape.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Based on the Focus Active platform? Great, it's a Jeep Patriot.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

I like this version better...https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a31079/new-ford-bronco-ranger-details/

The Ford Bronco is coming back. Ford confirmed the return of the legendary off-road SUV at the Detroit Auto Show in 2017, and we expect the 2020 Bronco will make its debut there next January. Naturally, Ford hasn't released many further details on the 2020 Bronco, other than one teaser image, but we know it's based on the 2019 Ranger, which debuted earlier this year.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

WTF does this car do that the Escape and Ecosport don't do

Not to mention...what about the brand equity with the "Escape" nameplate??

BimmerM3

Wait, so are the "Baby Bronco" and Bronco different vehicles?

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on November 13, 2018, 10:46:40 AM

Sounds like it'll be more off-road oriented. Probably more ground clearance, more rugged looks, maybe better AWD tech (though I know next to nothing about Ford's system and how good it currently is). Competitor to the Crosstrek and Jeep Trailhawk models rather than the rest of the compact CUV market. A lot of people in CO would welcome another choice in that segment.

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 13, 2018, 10:56:14 AM
Sounds like it'll be more off-road oriented. Probably more ground clearance, more rugged looks, maybe better AWD tech (though I know next to nothing about Ford's system and how good it currently is). Competitor to the Crosstrek and Jeep Trailhawk models rather than the rest of the compact CUV market. A lot of people in CO would welcome another choice in that segment.

Looks like a dead ringer to the Jeep Renegade to me, which would make it the main competitor.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on November 13, 2018, 11:01:16 AM
Looks like a dead ringer to the Jeep Renegade to me, which would make it the main competitor.

That should be the Ecosport

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 13, 2018, 10:50:44 AM
It's still a bit confusing.  Hopefully, that's the case.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on November 13, 2018, 10:46:40 AM

Full frame.  Maybe even a live front axle.  Better off road capability; not that anyone takes an Escape off road, intentionally.

2o6

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 13, 2018, 11:33:32 AM
Full frame.  Maybe even a live front axle.  Better off road capability; not that anyone takes an Escape off road, intentionally.

Nah, this car is unibody and FWD based.

MX793

Yes.  Bronco, which hasn't been revealed yet, will be based on the new Ranger.  This is a compact crossover based on the Focus/Escape.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 13, 2018, 11:31:35 AM
It's still a bit confusing.  Hopefully, that's the case.

Apparently there are two separate teaser images, so I guess that's the case.

https://www.bronco6g.com/baby-bronco-teased-compare-to-2020-bronco/

Full-size Bronco based on the Ranger platform, and yet-to-be-named "Baby Bronco" based on the Focus platform.

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 13, 2018, 11:33:32 AM

I think Kevin's talking about the Focus-based version, so unibody and independent suspension are all but certain.

I'd think of it more as the Ecosport vs base Renegade and Baby Bronco vs Renegade Trailhawk, maybe?

Eye of the Tiger

That should be the Bronco III, then.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 13, 2018, 11:58:58 AM
Apparently there are two separate teaser images, so I guess that's the case.

I'd think of it more as the Ecosport vs base Renegade and Baby Bronco vs Renegade Trailhawk, maybe?

How many Renegade Trailhawks does Jeep *Actually* sell?

I just think it's crazy that Ford cancelled all cars and are betting the farm on two model lines that honestly run hard on nostalgia and retro appeal. What are these cars gonna be turning at the end of their model cycles? Do they really think that every Focus, Fiesta, et al buyer just wants a retro styled Bronco FWD crossover?

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on November 13, 2018, 01:01:22 PM
How many Renegade Trailhawks does Jeep *Actually* sell?

I couldn't find numbers for the Trailhawk specifically, but they've sold over 100k Renegades each the past two years, which is roughly the same volume Crosstreks (though it looks like Crosstreks are trending up and Renegades down - not surprising considering the Crosstrek got a 2017 refresh).

Quote from: 2o6 on November 13, 2018, 01:01:22 PM
I just think it's crazy that Ford cancelled all cars and are betting the farm on two model lines that honestly run hard on nostalgia and retro appeal. What are these cars gonna be turning at the end of their model cycles? Do they really think that every Focus, Fiesta, et al buyer just wants a retro styled Bronco FWD crossover?

I don't think that's what they're doing at all. It's not like the two Broncos are going to be their only vehicles. I'd expect these to be lower volume than their more road-going counterparts.

But evidently, yes, they do think that every Fiesta, Focus, Fusion buyer wants a similar crossover instead. Or at the very least, those other models weren't profitable enough that Ford cares if they lose the customers or not.

68_427

You see the shadow of the Big Bronco in the middle photo

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Yep. That's just a little cute ute.

The real bronco is coming. It's going to be legit off road.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Why tease with this one and creat confusion? Would have been better to unveil both at the same time IMO
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 13, 2018, 08:12:24 PM
Why tease with this one and creat confusion? Would have been better to unveil both at the same time IMO

Yeah, Ford really botched this one from a PR point of view.