Rivian electric truck

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 26, 2018, 09:00:32 PM

AutobahnSHO

https://insideevs.com/rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-world-debut/

Impressive towing, wonder how much that kills the range. Seems to be copying Tesla wackiness...
Will

Payman

It's impressive, but they really need to bring a version in work truck trim. Keep the towing and payload specs, but a W/T doesn't need to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. Limit it to 6 seconds 0-60, which should preserve range. Also, offer a 2 door cab in the W/T model. If they do, and fleet price it in the 35k range, they could sell these by the hundreds of thousands. Until the Big 3 bring out theirs, of course.

cawimmer430

The design is cool. I love the extra stowage compartment  behind the rear seats underneath and forward of the flatbed.

Stupid question, but does the horsepower output on electric drivetrains affect power consumption? Is a 600-hp electric car "thirstier" than a 150-hp electric car say under acceleration and constant speed cruising?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 27, 2018, 04:51:01 AM
The design is cool. I love the extra stowage compartment  behind the rear seats underneath and forward of the flatbed.

Stupid question, but does the horsepower output on electric drivetrains affect power consumption? Is a 600-hp electric car "thirstier" than a 150-hp electric car say under acceleration and constant speed cruising?

Under acceleration, yes. A horspower is after all 746 Watts, and batteries are rated in watt-hours.

At constant speed, less so, although keeping the inverters in the most efficient range for their output is likely a bigger factor than the motor size.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 27, 2018, 04:51:01 AM
It does, but nowhere near as much. The jump in fuel economy vs power is probably like 1/2 for electric as it is for gas. On the power generation side there are a lot less losses in an electric motor vs a gas engine- especially a powerful one- but the biggie is probably regenerative braking.

The reason a 600 HP electric car would be thirstier than a 150 HP one on a cruise would be the fact that the 600HP car would probably be bigger + heavier + have wider, higher rolling resistance tires.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

It just occurred to me how useful the frunk will be on electric pick-ups.

FoMoJo

The question is, how much?  They need a Model T of electric vehicles with a good distance rate and functionally/basic features to get the ball really rolling.  The Volt was a good start, but what happened?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

I've never heard of this company. But it is impressive and intriguing. I see they're going for the Tezla sales model of $1,000 deposits with a projected pontential delivery date...we've seen what a shitshow that was (is?) for Tezla, so it'd be interesting to see how this company copes and how prepared they are.

Any idea how many reservations they have?  Or where their factory is or how they're coming along with getting production ready?  I've never heard of them, so I'm at least slightly skeptical.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 27, 2018, 11:17:39 AM
The question is, how much?  They need a Model T of electric vehicles with a good distance rate and functionally/basic features to get the ball really rolling.  The Volt was a good start, but what happened?

It starts at $61.5k if you take into account gov't. rebate. So it's basically a $70k truck for the base model... :mask:

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2018, 11:18:41 AM
I see they're going for the Tezla sales model of $1,000 deposits with a projected pontential delivery date...we've seen what a shitshow that was (is?) for Tezla, so it'd be interesting to see how this company copes and how prepared they are.

It was kind of a media shit show, but as I've said before, it seems like most of their customer expected delays and didn't really care much. That's 100% true for the few Model 3 owners I know, anyway.

Hard to tell if customers will be as forgiving towards this company though. On one hand, it's also a new company, so I think people should expect delays, but I'd also be less trusting of them in general since they don't have prior models (S and X) to give customers faith that it will end up as a fairly good finished product (inb4 bitching about panel gaps, etc. - yes I know Model 3s aren't perfect).

This company will also have more competitors than Tesla did as it was establishing itself.

RomanChariot

It's interesting that they call it a skateboard platform as that is the same term Chevy used for the Volt platform. The overall shape of the truck is fairly nice but I'm not crazy about the front or rear. They aren't offensive but I don't love them. They have a lot of nice storage touches. I hope they are able to keep all of the various doors from rattling. I hope they are able to get to production.

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2018, 11:18:41 AM
I see they're going for the Tezla sales model of $1,000 deposits with a projected pontential delivery date...we've seen what a shitshow that was (is?) for Tezla.

Audi is also doing that for the e-tron. €2.000 reservation fee. Tesla brought some ideas to the table it seems.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2018, 11:20:16 AM
It starts at $61.5k if you take into account gov't. rebate. So it's basically a $70k truck for the base model... :mask:
I would think that it would be smart to start with delivery vans in varying sizes and go for maximum distance per charge.  Something very basic and functional with state of art electrics.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

2o6

Aside from the front fascia looking like an emoji, I like it.

RomanChariot

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 27, 2018, 11:33:54 AM
I would think that it would be smart to start with delivery vans in varying sizes and go for maximum distance per charge.  Something very basic and functional with state of art electrics.

People pay a lot of money for 4 door trucks. They will have to get their production costs down before they can sell delivery vans. Nobody will pay $60k for a delivery van. It's the same reason Tesla still can't sell a $35k Model 3.

Galaxy

What are the Arrival parcel van trucks from the UK costing? They have been ordered by the Royal Mail, UPS and others, but I can not find a price.

Laconian

Why the hell do they still have an enormous hood and grille? It's not like it has a TRITON V10 under there. It's a goddamn electric car, do something clever instead of just making yet another limp dick enhancer
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2018, 11:20:16 AM

That's for the loaded upscale model they plan to build first. The budget models will come later. Jeez man, didja even read it?

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 27, 2018, 11:07:10 AM
It just occurred to me how useful the frunk will be on electric pick-ups.

That's a backbreaking liftover height though. Too bad they couldn't have the front grille section lift up as well, but that would probably kill front end crashworthiness.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2018, 12:48:37 PM
Why the hell do they still have an enormous hood and grille? It's not like it has a TRITON V10 under there. It's a goddamn electric car, do something clever instead of just making yet another limp dick enhancer

Styling, crashworthiness, ride.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on November 27, 2018, 12:49:04 PM
That's for the loaded upscale model they plan to build first. The budget models will come later. Jeez man, didja even read it?

Clearly I did...just missed that deet.  Sry mang.

CaminoRacer

A frunk in a truck would be AWESOME. That fixes one of the big drawbacks to pickups.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 27, 2018, 01:19:24 PM
A frunk in a truck would be AWESOME. That fixes one of the big drawbacks to pickups.

Agreed.  Frees up interior space.  Can put all your gear and junk in the bed and your more sensitive luggage in the frunk.  Excellent for a road trip if you need back seat space for more passengers, a dog, etc.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on November 27, 2018, 11:44:26 AM
What are the Arrival parcel van trucks from the UK costing? They have been ordered by the Royal Mail, UPS and others, but I can not find a price.
I don't see a price either.  Arrival seems like a rather interesting company though.

I didn't realize that UPS was so invested in alternative/clean technologies.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on November 27, 2018, 12:49:04 PM
I'm reading this...Pricing starts at $61,500 after Federal Tax credit.  Deliveries of the R1T begin in late 2020. Fully-equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh pack (400+ miles range) and 135 kWh pack will be available at launch, with the base variant (230+ miles range) to follow within 12 months of the start of production.

It's not clear if the price stated is for the high level or basic model...unless there's something else mentioned elsewhere.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2018, 01:06:45 PM

Styling, crashworthiness, ride.

Ride? Oh, you must mean as it pertains to limp dick enhancement.

ermergerrrd gimme a giant box but dont even think about saying the word wagon
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2018, 01:06:45 PM
crashworthiness

Yes, trucks are great at annihilating smaller cars and pedestrians, don't want to interfere with that.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Pay $70K for a vehicle and throw a load of rocks in the back?

One of the traditional aspects of pickup ownership was low initial cost.
Now I can see one of those 4 door, suburbanite owned, leather seat status symbols being an EV, but working vehicles need to be more cost effective.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on November 27, 2018, 02:01:19 PM
Yes, trucks are great at annihilating smaller cars and pedestrians, don't want to interfere with that.

What would you rather it look like? A forward control van?

Also, the hood looks short? It's about as long as the wheels itself and there's not a hell of a lot of overhang

Eye of the Tiger

An all electric, quad motor vehicle is the perfect opportunity to ditch traditional 2 & 3 box designs. Make it literally a giant penis with wheels. Put the driver in the center of mass. Wrap it in bubbles.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)