Rivian electric truck

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 26, 2018, 09:00:32 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 29, 2018, 09:17:43 AM
It probably "needs" the torque for towing (not really, but recreational towers are a bunch of pussies), but the nature of AC electric motors is such that that also leads to stupid acceleration times.

Everybody's fine with a Tesla rocketing around, but as soon as it's a truck it's not acceptable...?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2018, 09:23:01 AM
Everybody's fine with a Tesla rocketing around, but as soon as it's a truck it's not acceptable...?

Actually, a lot of "normal" cars are stupid fast now and the only reason people are OK with it is they are increasingly dependant on traction and stability control.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2018, 09:23:01 AM

And when did a bunch of car enthusiasts start thinking that excessive power is a bad thing? :confused: :lol:

Even if the nature of electric motors didn't make those acceleration numbers so easy, if you're gonna be a successful company, you've gotta bring something new and exciting to the table. We've already established that the tech isn't cheap enough yet to make this a viable work truck, so if you're gonna compete against the big name luxury pickups, speed seems like a pretty good way to make yourself stand out.

MrH

Quote from: Submariner on November 27, 2018, 09:29:47 PM
I don't know what it is, but everything the CEO of this company says makes him sound like a professional huckster.  I'll believe this truck when I see it...but my spider senses tell me this is somewhere between vaporware and invent n' run scheme.

Their board is full of quite a few automotive big dogs.  This is way more legitimate than Elio, Carbon Motors, or Faraday Future ever was.  In fact, I'd say it looks a whole lot more legitimate than Tesla :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2018, 09:14:17 AM
Says the guy who used to brag about driving like an asshat on the street.
You OK sis?

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 28, 2018, 05:01:23 PM
Or that could be genius. It would be like a choo choo train. You can drive it in any direction. Pull forward into a spot, then pull forward out. No worries about backing your trailer up, just spin your seat around and push the trailer. Twice as many pickup beds. One can have a cap for doges.

Don't you mean pull backwards into a spot and then pull backwards out of the spot. You're going to need backup cameras on both ends.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2018, 10:34:34 AM
You OK sis?

Yeah?  Just find it odd/contradictory that EVs being lightning quick is suddenly a concern because it's in the shape of a truck.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2018, 10:47:28 AM
Yeah?  Just find it odd/contradictory that EVs being lightning quick is suddenly a concern because it's in the shape of a truck.
Most EVs aren't this fast, and the ones that are are holistically designed for performance driving. A truck with a high center of gravity, truck tires and design concessions for towing/hauling is not. My driving history has nothing to do with that :huh:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 29, 2018, 09:17:43 AM
It probably "needs" the torque for towing (not really, but recreational towers are a bunch of pussies), but the nature of AC electric motors is such that that also leads to stupid acceleration times.

Yup!

And +1 about a lot of normal cars being stupid fast now too. Used to need quite the hot rod to go 0-60 in 5 seconds.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 29, 2018, 09:39:57 AM
Actually, a lot of "normal" cars are stupid fast now and the only reason people are OK with it is they are increasingly dependant on traction and stability control.

This is made increasingly obvious when you drive something like a 70 HP pickup from 1986. Even though it always accelerates to 5-10 over the speed limit in a reasonable amount of time, nobody in a modern car can stand to be "stuck" behind something the isn't going 0-60 in six seconds. But then nobody can seem to keep up on a highway on/off ramp that has a curve to it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 29, 2018, 04:53:50 PM
This is made increasingly obvious when you drive something like a 70 HP pickup from 1986. Even though it always accelerates to 5-10 over the speed limit in a reasonable amount of time, nobody in a modern car can stand to be "stuck" behind something the isn't going 0-60 in six seconds. But then nobody can seem to keep up on a highway on/off ramp that has a curve to it.

"I can only go fast if the road is straight" drivers drive me nuts.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2018, 12:51:00 PM
Most EVs aren't this fast, and the ones that are are holistically designed for performance driving. A truck with a high center of gravity, truck tires and design concessions for towing/hauling is not. My driving history has nothing to do with that :huh:

High center of gravity?  You've seen the chassis of this thing, right?  And how the weight of the batteries is pretty low (virtually at/near axle center level)?  You do understand that to tow 11,000 pounds, you need power?  Ergo, unladen, it will be quick...?

FoMoJo

They should make the body swappable; that is, when you buy the platform/drive assembly, you get one pick-up body and one SUV body with a mechanism that allows you to detach one body and attach the other.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2018, 05:30:19 PM
High center of gravity?  You've seen the chassis of this thing, right?  And how the weight of the batteries is pretty low (virtually at/near axle center level)?  You do understand that to tow 11,000 pounds, you need power?  Ergo, unladen, it will be quick...?

IT still has a higher CoG than an EV car

And plenty of trucks can tow 5.5 tons without being able to accelerate to 100 in 7 seconds

Just seems stupid to me... no need to get bent out of shape over an opinion

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2018, 07:24:47 PM
IT still has a higher CoG than an EV car

And plenty of trucks can tow 5.5 tons without being able to accelerate to 100 in 7 seconds

Just seems stupid to me... no need to get bent out of shape over an opinion

EVs deliver their power entirely differently than an ICE. :nutty:

What truck doesn't have a higher CoG than a car...?

heelntoe

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 29, 2018, 06:05:38 PM
They should make the body swappable; that is, when you buy the platform/drive assembly, you get one pick-up body and one SUV body with a mechanism that allows you to detach one body and attach the other.
Kinda like the Hy-wire concept.
@heelntoe

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: heelntoe on November 29, 2018, 09:38:53 PM
Kinda like the Hy-wire concept.

Does that include a quick-change, universal battery pack that can be stocked at battery stations?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

heelntoe

I'm not sure, but I think the Hy-wire was a Hydrogen fuel-cell concept car. I've seen some electric scooters in India that had quick-chance batteries though. Those were pretty nifty.
@heelntoe

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 29, 2018, 09:41:23 PM
Does that include a quick-change, universal battery pack that can be stocked at battery stations?

I've always thought that was a good idea, but just realized that the amount of storage space needed at each station would be massive.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

heelntoe

@heelntoe

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

400 mile range, I'm sold.  That's farther than Taco will go on a full tank (250/300 cty/hwy :lol:).

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2018, 07:47:46 PM
EVs deliver their power entirely differently than an ICE. :nutty:

What truck doesn't have a higher CoG than a car...?

100% of torque available from rest.

Submariner

a.) that front end is dreadful

b.) still skeptical that this is a production ready vehicle.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Payman

Quote from: Submariner on January 12, 2019, 09:55:48 AM
a.) that front end is dreadful

b.) still skeptical that this is a production ready vehicle.

a) agree
b) like everything else, probably "for sale in 2 years!"

BimmerM3

They're taking pre-order deposits, and their pre-order page currently says "Production will begin in 2020."

(Not personally voicing an opinion either way - just providing that info.)

BimmerM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 12, 2019, 09:00:04 AM
Yes please.

https://youtu.be/QMfxJEfb4lw

Just actually watched this. If it's anywhere near as good as they say, this ought to be a great vehicle. I'm not gonna sign up to be their guinea pig, but if they're still around in 10-20 years, I could see myself going for something like this (finances permitting).

Morris Minor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 12, 2019, 01:46:18 PM
Just actually watched this. If it's anywhere near as good as they say, this ought to be a great vehicle. I'm not gonna sign up to be their guinea pig, but if they're still around in 10-20 years, I could see myself going for something like this (finances permitting).
If you're into renewables & EV crunchiness, that's a really good channel.
Not so much if you're a gasoline & sparkplugs sort of person.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

This company is interesting. They've existed for 9 years now. They're much closer to production than something like the Tesla Model Y or pickup.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV