2019 Honda Passport

Started by Morris Minor, November 30, 2018, 05:53:42 AM

Morris Minor

"...  a shortened, two-row Pilot. Being atop the same platform that underpins the Ridgeline pickup, the Passport is definitely made to be more rugged than the made-for-PTA CR-V."
http://www.thedrive.com/news/25174/2019-honda-passport-the-pilot-gets-a-more-rugged-little-brother

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

r0tor

Aztek designers much be proud of the black plastic
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Yes, it would be good to see one without the cladding.
But I think it will do well: a more elbow room than the CR-V, but without the minivan/family-bus ambiance of the Pilot. It's off-road specs look reasonable too.

Xer0

Does it have off-road specs?  It's just s Pilot with a lift and I don't recall those things being anything special.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Xer0 on November 30, 2018, 06:55:51 AM
Does it have off-road specs?  It's just s Pilot with a lift and I don't recall those things being anything special.
Well, reading more... nothing special but a bit more than most AWD setups: a bit of reinforcement, AWDs are lifted 1.1" & they do the VTM4 traction management (torque vectoring to the rear & from one side to the other.)

Eye of the Tiger

Bland styling by current Honda standards. As long as it has a 4WD lock button, it should do fine on the Rubicon.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

I hate "off road drive modes" when all you want is 4WD lock and diff locks.

Xer0

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 30, 2018, 10:04:54 AM
CVT?

10 spd auto IIRC, I think its Honda's own transmission design and not the 9spd ZF that no one seems to like.

Morris Minor

MrH

Quote from: Xer0 on November 30, 2018, 10:16:55 AM
10 spd auto IIRC, I think its Honda's own transmission design and not the 9spd ZF that no one seems to like.

This is using the 9-speed. Looks like the 10-speed is just in the Odyssey and Accord?  I think it's FWD only right now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

So ugly. Was hoping for something more in the vein of the Venza or even the Murano
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

This car clearly didn't cost many development dollars. It shares the same doors and headlight/taillight shapes of the Pilot. The "altered" front fascia prolly directly swaps to the pilot and ridgeline.

Wish they would have done more of an Edge vs Explorer treatment; bend some sheet metal!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 30, 2018, 10:13:37 AM

Those "push here to go off road!" buttons give people a lot of confidence. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Locked diffs put a lot of potential strain on a lot of things; each wheel has be able to take 100% of low gear torque, or things start to break. Plus, manufacturers probably don't trust people to know when to unlock them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 30, 2018, 11:38:46 AM
Those "push here to go off road!" buttons give people a lot of confidence. :lol:

Press here to initiate pairing process between mud and with your transportation appliance.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on November 30, 2018, 12:25:29 PM
Press here to initiate pairing process between mud and with your transportation appliance.

The lack of knowledge even some people around here have about what to do offroad is frightening.

Xer0

Quote from: MrH on November 30, 2018, 10:51:35 AM
This is using the 9-speed. Looks like the 10-speed is just in the Odyssey and Accord?  I think it's FWD only right now.

Ah, thats a bummer.  Didn't care for that transmission in my cousins V6 TLX and I don't think I've read much positive of it in other applications.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 30, 2018, 12:23:30 PM
Locked diffs put a lot of potential strain on a lot of things; each wheel has be able to take 100% of low gear torque, or things start to break. Plus, manufacturers probably don't trust people to know when to unlock them.

Tell that to my K1500 with the rear mini-spool that just ripped the actual metal bracket of the motor mount.

Eye of the Tiger

And don't ask me exactly how a mini-spool rips a motor mount. All I know is it happened.

MrH

Quote from: Xer0 on November 30, 2018, 01:29:50 PM
Ah, thats a bummer.  Didn't care for that transmission in my cousins V6 TLX and I don't think I've read much positive of it in other applications.

Yeah, I haven't heard good things about the 9-speed.  In the TLX though, does it have that funky computer controlled clutch or a conventional torque converter?

I've been really pleased with the 10-speed in the Accord.  Autos have come a long way.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 30, 2018, 01:42:51 PM
Tell that to my K1500 with the rear mini-spool that just ripped the actual metal bracket of the motor mount.

That kinda proves my point. Weird, but it does.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Xer0 on November 30, 2018, 10:16:55 AM
10 spd auto would be good.  ZF-9 is what's in my Discovery. It seems those with problems, Fiat/Chrysler, it's down to the software or bad engine/software combinations.  Works great with the 2.0 L twin spool turbo in my car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

BimmerM3

Is that the same 9-speed that Jeep uses? If so, did they ever fix all the reliability issues with it?

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 30, 2018, 02:52:28 PM
Is that the same 9-speed that Jeep uses? If so, did they ever fix all the reliability issues with it?
ZF-9 Speed Transmission Problems Continue to Plague Jeep, Fiat, Land Rover, Honda, and Acura Drivers. ... Drivers with the defective ZF 9-speed transmission are complaining about hard or odd shifting points, sudden shut downs and a sluggish accelerating reaction

Gotta be software.  Mine is perfect.

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 30, 2018, 02:56:55 PM
ZF-9 Speed Transmission Problems Continue to Plague Jeep, Fiat, Land Rover, Honda, and Acura Drivers. ... Drivers with the defective ZF 9-speed transmission are complaining about hard or odd shifting points, sudden shut downs and a sluggish accelerating reaction

Gotta be software.  Mine is perfect.

You probably just got lucky. I'm sure you can find individuals from all of those manufacturers that haven't had any problems.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 30, 2018, 02:59:34 PM
You probably just got lucky. I'm sure you can find individuals from all of those manufacturers that haven't had any problems.
I did read an article a while ago that pointed to the software.  Needs fine tuning for different engines.

r0tor

It has clutches not diffs
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 30, 2018, 12:23:30 PM

"Why didn't my super off roader take that sharp corner at 40MPH!?"
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo