Engine Oil FAQ

Started by S204STi, February 09, 2008, 08:03:58 PM

Secret Chimp

Quote from: S204STi on January 11, 2012, 04:59:46 PM
I dig Motorcraft oils and fluids.  I don't have any specific reason other than it's designed and produced by Ford for use in their cars, so it's likely not junk, and it's very affordable.

The Motorcraft 5W-20 you can get at Wally World works well in Not The Greatest Song In The World.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Quote from: r0tor on January 11, 2012, 06:00:07 PM
Lolz... The oil change interval on my jeep is 8k miles according to the owners manual.  Of course my stealership marks it on the change sticker to come in evry 3k miles

-sigh-

The 944 owner manual says the interval is 15,000 miles, and this is a car from 1986. 0_o

I change it every 3000, which is about yearly.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAE 15W-40, API CJ-4 Certified, that meets Chrysler Material Standards MS-10902. Products meeting Cummins CES 20081 Standards may also be used

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so do any of you certified guys do diesel, and if you do would you have a specific oil you would recommend?  My truck told me this am that an oil change is needed, 8,800 miles (so apparently the premature changes were due to break in) and I need to get it done fairly quickly. 

The stealership says I should only use their oil, but they admit to buying in bulk.  :rolleyes:

I am considering CJ-4 Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 for my permanent oil, but I am just not certain.  Do not care about the cost of the oil or filter.  Could also use suggestions on which filters would be best outside of the overpriced Mopar crap.    Suggestions?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

S204STi

Go to BITOG and look over the used oil analyses for that oil, or simply google "Mobil Delvac UOA" and that will hopefully give you a good indication of how good that oil is.  I'm betting it's good stuff.

Secret Chimp

I have some dino Delvac in my Mopar crap and it still looks pretty clean even in an old dirty engine with a lot of idling and short starts.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Diesel oil is pretty damn good overall, so I dunno if you can find a bad one.

hounddog

Thanks.

I ended up going with simple Valvoline Premium Blue Diesel Oil because it has a Cummins approval.

Decided not to get fancy or take a risk.  I may not care about the cost of the oil, but, I have no desire to fork over the cost of a new engine.  :lol:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

I got Rotella 15w-40 for the Harley. And a chrome FRAM
oil filter. Walmart FTW.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Updated with links to my latest UOAs.

Also all in this post:

My UOA, number 1
My UOA, Number 2
My UOA, numbers 3 and 4