Ford Crown Vic With Gargantuan Twin-Turbo 27-Liter Rolls-Royce V12 Starts Up

Started by cawimmer430, June 30, 2021, 11:34:15 AM

cawimmer430

HOW DARE YOU!  :praise:  :rastaman:

Ford Crown Vic With Gargantuan Twin-Turbo 27-Liter Rolls-Royce V12 Starts Up

A few months ago, we stumbled across a Ford Crown Victoria in Sweden that had been fitted with a massive 27-liter V12. Fast forward to June and this insane engine up has been fired up for the first time while nestled into the Ford's engine bay.

The engine in question was built by Rolls-Royce and formerly used in a World War II-era tank; in its hey-day, it delivered roughly 550 hp. That's a lot of power for a Ford Crown Victoria but isn't that much when you consider just how massive the V12 is. As such, those behind the project have equipped it with a pair of turbochargers and a custom ECU so it ultimately delivers closer to 2,500 hp.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHWNw8zH7kc

During this video, the car is rolled out from the barn where it is being built before the engine is fired up. It takes a couple of tries to fine-tune the air and fuel ratio before the engine starts for the first time. A thermal imaging camera is then used to ensure that all 12 cylinders are working. The video notes that the pressure pipes to the turbochargers were not connected during these initial tests.

As you can imagine, fitting a 27-liter V12 into a Crown Vic was no small feat. In fact, the car actually has the front end of a Chevrolet C10 pickup truck and the rear of the engine extends into the cabin.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/ford-crown-vic-with-twin-turbo-27-liter-rolls-royce-v12-starts-up/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

My kinda project. I'd axe the turbos though.

Thing is these airplane motors don't really perform well in cars as they're designed to run up against a governor (i.e., slow to rev) - plus of course they're ginormous and heavy.

But these WWII airplane motors (V12 and radial) I find a very interesting subject overall - from forced induction to OHC to 4-valve heads to even inverted (Daimler V12) - all in the 1940s.

Morris Minor

The Brits recognized in 1940 that the early marks of their fighters could not get from scramble to altitude quick enough for comfort. Were it not for the early warnings given by Chain Home radar system, the Battle of Britain would have had a poor outcome. As the war progressed, performance improved drastically. Nothing like conflict & desperation to drive improvements.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2021, 01:30:37 PM
My kinda project. I'd axe the turbos though.

Thing is these airplane motors don't really perform well in cars as they're designed to run up against a governor (i.e., slow to rev) - plus of course they're ginormous and heavy.

But these WWII airplane motors (V12 and radial) I find a very interesting subject overall - from forced induction to OHC to 4-valve heads to even inverted (Daimler V12) - all in the 1940s.

Its a tank motor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 30, 2021, 06:57:56 PM
Its a tank motor.

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 30, 2021, 08:01:39 PM
A meteor?

Haha! So it is. The Meteor though is simply a derated Merlin - same size, weight, config, etc., just minus the minor aero bits.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 30, 2021, 03:58:25 PM
The Brits recognized in 1940 that the early marks of their fighters could not get from scramble to altitude quick enough for comfort. Were it not for the early warnings given by Chain Home radar system, the Battle of Britain would have had a poor outcome. As the war progressed, performance improved drastically. Nothing like conflict & desperation to drive improvements.

Even the Allison V12 never matched the Merlin V12 (hence the use of the "Packard" (licensed Merlin) in the P-51, let alone the Griffon. Brits had it going on.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2021, 10:10:43 PM
Haha! So it is. The Meteor though is simply a derated Merlin - same size, weight, config, etc., just minus the minor aero bits.
I read somewhere that castings that didn't quite measure up for air use were used for tank (Meteor) engines.  Don't know if that's true.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2021, 10:25:19 PM
Even the Allison V12 never matched the Merlin V12 (hence the use of the "Packard" (licensed Merlin) in the P-51, let alone the Griffon. Brits had it going on.
When I worked at an investment bank in London, I befriended an old guy who was a messenger there. He had a little office in the basement & sometimes I'd go down there to shoot the shit. He taught me two things: how to make a proper cup of tea, & what life had been like in an RAF ground crew (Griffon-engined Spitfires.) During the worst times they got no sleep - turning the planes around, fixing them up, to sent them out again ASAP. They kept going on pills, tea & cigarettes.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤