Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SVT_Power on July 21, 2019, 07:02:37 PM
I didn't know Alaska is a helmet optional state. If I end up renting a bike for a day, I might have to do a 5 min ride without one on just to see what it's like.

Sucky for anything over 20 mph
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2019, 08:19:48 PM

Really, really sucky at 120 MPH. Blindingly sucky. I mean, at least wear goggles. Idiot.  :banghead:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2019, 08:19:48 PM

I like riding with my visor up at anything up to 40-50 mph. If I wasn't so paranoid about vision damage from debris, I'd ride with the visor up almost all the time in town.

On the rare occasion I ride with sunglasses on, I'll ride 50-60 mph with my visor up. I love the sensation.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Speed_Racer

I like my visor half up, but on my current helmet that puts the bottom of the visor right in the middle of my field of view. Dumb

Speed_Racer

Two-up camping in the Tetons last weekend:

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Put aboot 90 miles on today with two people I've not ridden with before.

KLR650, VStrom 650, my 230L.  Dude on the VStrom went whole hog on some of the tougher trails we rode later on...such a big bike for more technical shit that the KLR and 230L didn't give much of a fuck about.  Props.  Thing does not like sand (tires!)...and I thought the 230 hated sand... :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

VStrom guy is crazy. Street tires are scary as fuck on anything that isn't warm, dry pavement.

giant_mtb

He made it. Biggest issues were ground clearance and sand.

Eye of the Tiger

I guess the tire are knobby-ish, but so heavy.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Speed_Racer

This accident is brought to you by SmartWater

giant_mtb

We could just not write articles about people like that so that more people don't go visit her page.

MX793

Considering she wasn't wearing any protective gear other than a helmet, she didn't even look all that banged up.  Not enough that I'd think to call an ambulance for.  A little rash on her shoulder maybe (hard to tell with the tattoo) and her hands probably got scraped up since it didn't look like she wore gloves.  Maybe I'm a little nutty, but the times I've been down on a bike, I did a quick once-over to make sure I could still move all my fingers and toes, picked the bike up and looked it over to make sure it could be ridden, and rode myself home.  Then again, I also always wear a jacket with CE rated padding, CE rated boots, and CE rated gloves rather than a tank top and baggy, pre-ripped overalls.  Not to say I still didn't suffer some scrapes and bruises even with gear.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Those overalls have had the biscuit.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on August 21, 2019, 11:59:45 AM
Considering she wasn't wearing any protective gear other than a helmet, she didn't even look all that banged up.  Not enough that I'd think to call an ambulance for.  A little rash on her shoulder maybe (hard to tell with the tattoo) and her hands probably got scraped up since it didn't look like she wore gloves.  Maybe I'm a little nutty, but the times I've been down on a bike, I did a quick once-over to make sure I could still move all my fingers and toes, picked the bike up and looked it over to make sure it could be ridden, and rode myself home.  Then again, I also always wear a jacket with CE rated padding, CE rated boots, and CE rated gloves rather than a tank top and baggy, pre-ripped overalls.  Not to say I still didn't suffer some scrapes and bruises even with gear.

My impression was that the entire "crash" was fake/staged for dramatic porpoises.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 21, 2019, 01:21:34 PM
My impression was that the entire "crash" was fake/staged for dramatic porpoises.
YUP.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 21, 2019, 11:51:01 AM
We could just not write articles about people like that so that more people don't go visit her page.
I did not go to her page :huh:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Why is he pulling her up? He could be paralyzing her forever! #cantfeelmylegs
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

I need some help troubleshooting an intermittent problem with the Explorer 1200. I have some ideas but before I go testing/replacing stuff I want to see if anyone is thinking the same as me.

Two main symptoms, not sure if related:
1: When the bike is cold and just started, throttle hesitation under light throttle. Goes away when the engine warms up, prevented by letting it idle for a few minutes before the first ride.

2: Hesitation/surging throttle when very hot (when over about 90 deg and sunny ambient temps + when the engine temp is high from being stuck in traffic). Has difficulty restarting when parked in the sun while the engine is hot. Engine once cut out in traffic when decelerating after pulling in the clutch. Symptom goes away once I get moving at highway speeds for about 5 min and doesn't return until I get stuck in traffic again.

Relevant notes: Water cooled. The bike has a throttle-by-wire system. No check engine lights. Had the valves done a few months ago which requires fuel tank/ECU removal to access.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on August 21, 2019, 11:59:45 AM

The helmet law in Michigan was repealed a few years ago.

First, only the Harley guys seemed to go helmetless, now its about 70%. But the real issue I see now is that many ride without any semblance of gear on at all. Golf shorts, tank tops, boat shoes- hell I've even seen flip flops.

The skin graft doctors are going to have a banner couple of years.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 26, 2019, 04:10:46 PM

First, only the Harley guys seemed to go helmetless, now its about 70%. But the real issue I see now is that many ride without any semblance of gear on at all. Golf shorts, tank tops, boat shoes- hell I've even seen flip flops.

I see the same thing with riders going and coming from the lake. People riding 2-up on a sports bike wearing nothing but swimsuits and flip-flops.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 26, 2019, 04:10:46 PM

There used to be an annual "helmet free" ride around here in protest of NY's helmet law.  A couple of years ago, one of the participants died in a pretty minor crash during the ride.  Not sure if they've continued to hold the ride after that.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

People never grow out of being toddlers. You tell people they can't do something, they do it. You tell people they have to do something, they don't. Even if it kills them :facepalm: Leaving the rest of us to clean up their idiotic mess.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Helmetless riding sucks even if you don't crash, IMO. I don't want to eat bugs the entire ride.

giant_mtb

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide