Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 22, 2020, 02:15:28 PM
Okay.  :huh:

Just saying, a lot of those rusting Cavs you see in junkyards are probably not sporting an Ecotec.  And it's that old 2200 OHV that got the Cav its reputation of running poorly for a very long time.  Same engine that was in the S10 trucks.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 22, 2020, 02:18:22 PM
Having not driven a modern version of twist beam, I can't really compare the ride however, it still seems that whatever happens to one wheel would be felt by the the other to some extent, as well as the issue of unsprung weight.

The left-right interaction is roughly the same as having a sway bar.  Unless you are accustomed to driving cars without rear sway bars, you'll get some motion from one side transferred to the other via the sway.

Not sure unsprung weight is actually any higher in a torsion beam, either.  Particularly when compared to a multi-link.  The beam is actually very close to the trailing arm attachment point, so it moves relatively little with the rest of the suspension and therefore would contribute relatively little to the effective unsprung weight.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on May 22, 2020, 02:26:09 PM
The left-right interaction is roughly the same as having a sway bar.  Unless you are accustomed to driving cars without rear sway bars, you'll get some motion from one side transferred to the other via the sway.

Not sure unsprung weight is actually any higher in a torsion beam, either.  Particularly when compared to a multi-link.  The beam is actually very close to the trailing arm attachment point, so it moves relatively little with the rest of the suspension and therefore would contribute relatively little to the effective unsprung weight.
As mentioned, my only comparison is between early 2000s Pontiac Sunfire vs. early 2000s Focus.  No comparison in ride quality over rough surfaces, but we seem to be repeating ourselves.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

First gen Foci were lift-off oversteer masheeenz. :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on May 22, 2020, 02:22:21 PM
Just saying, a lot of those rusting Cavs you see in junkyards are probably not sporting an Ecotec.  And it's that old 2200 OHV that got the Cav its reputation of running poorly for a very long time.  Same engine that was in the S10 trucks.

Same engine as the VORTEC? Ah man, that was a lousy engine. It's hilarious how GM put such little effort into their small engines.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 22, 2020, 04:01:27 PM
Same engine as the VORTEC? Ah man, that was a lousy engine. It's hilarious how GM put such little effort into their small engines.

I don't follow. The 2.2OHV was old, but reliable? I don't understand what was lousy about it. Even the 4.3L Vortec was pretty decent???

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

2o6

Having driven the new Corolla, I don't think the rear axle has that much to do with it being dynamically superior to the old car. The new chassis is stiffer, the suspension is firmer, and the steering has more feel and the ratio is faster.

Also torsion beans never left.

2o6

I also think drum brakes in the rear are totally fine for the vast majority of FWD compact and smaller cars.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on May 22, 2020, 04:45:05 PM
I also think drum brakes in the rear are totally fine for the vast majority of FWD compact and smaller cars.

I am perfectly fine with simple leading/trailing drums in the backs of small cars. They last practically forever, amd make great parking brakes.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on May 22, 2020, 04:45:05 PM
Yes.

2o6

four of the flip cars that I bought that had rear disc brakes, had seized calipers. Three Mazdas, and a Scion tC.

Changing rear calipers on a saltbelt car is fucking awful.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on May 22, 2020, 04:05:17 PM

I don't follow. The 2.2OHV was old, but reliable? I don't understand what was lousy about it. Even the 4.3L Vortec was pretty decent???

A friend of mine had an S10 with that engine and it was a slow POS.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on May 22, 2020, 05:04:56 PM
A friend of mine had an S10 with that engine and it was a slow POS.

Gutless, wheezy, and unrefined, but they seem to run forever.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on May 22, 2020, 04:57:42 PM
four of the flip cars that I bought that had rear disc brakes, had seized calipers. Three Mazdas, and a Scion tC.

Changing rear calipers on a saltbelt car is fucking awful.

Seized drums are no joke either; and hard as hell to get adjusted in afterwards.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 22, 2020, 05:19:56 PM
Seized drums are no joke either; and hard as hell to get adjusted in afterwards.

Fire and hammers.

FoMoJo

A little bit of Indy 500 history.

Eye of the Tiger

I'd rather talk about the Iron Duke.
Brought to you by: The United States Postal Unservice.

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on May 22, 2020, 02:17:25 PM
What does the Classic Car license plate designation get you in Germany?  Other than it looks cool, I'm assuming you get a pass on some emissions and safety regulations.

They are exempt from emissions and can drive through so-called "environmental zones" in German cities which are off-limits to older but non-historic gasoline/diesel cars.

There are also insurance and tax advantages as the yearly car tax is not calculated through emissions class and engine capacity. Owners of a historic vehicle pay a fixed 192 Euro per year tax. My dad has a fully comprehensive insurance package for his SL and only pays 34 Euros a month (408 Euros a year) for this package. On a normal car with say a 12,000 km yearly limit you'd be in the low 1000 Euro range.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Got four things done on the Miata today. First, replaced cracked glass fog light assembly. Involved removal of right inner fender. Not a huge deal. It's an aftermarket part, but made in Taiwan, not China. Fit was good. Works nice.

Second thing was replacement of right rear tire pressure sensor. I broke the damn thing when patching a nail hole. Used a genuine Mazda TPMS, it self programs. Discount Tire charged me $15 to install it.

Third was the little rubber covered button on the exterior door handle. They disintegrate after 6 years or so, rigged a little plastic button and bonded it in. It allows you to lock and unlock the doors without taking the remote out of your pocket.

Fourth was I lucked out and found the missing rubber hood stop in the inner fender!  ;)

A thrilling day for sure.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: shp4man on May 23, 2020, 05:55:35 PM
...but made in Taiwan, not China...

Mods, please move this post to the politics sub forum...

:lol: )

Laconian

Aren't they the same thing? Taiwan has always been a province of China.

:mask: :lol:

shp4man

Generally speaking, products made in Taiwan are built to a higher standard than mainland China stuff. Generally.  ;)

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on May 23, 2020, 07:33:17 PM
Generally speaking, products made in Taiwan are built to a higher standard than mainland China stuff. Generally.  ;)

My post was a failed troll attempt.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on May 23, 2020, 06:47:28 PM
Aren't they the same thing? Taiwan has always been a province of China.

:mask: :lol:

TROLL!!!!  You're supposed to be a fucking moderator!!!!  :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

I thought Taiwan was part of Tailand. :erjerbs:

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 24, 2020, 05:21:45 AM
I thought Taiwan was part of Tailand. :erjerbs:

No, it's part of Venezuela.  :rage: :rage:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on May 24, 2020, 09:56:16 AM
No, it's part of Venezuela.  :rage: :rage:

You're thinking of Cuba :rolleyes:

Laconian

No jokes about Hong Kong though, that's just too soon. :cry:

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 21, 2020, 10:41:37 PM
You have obviously never actually used (or tried to use) one of those "wave your foot" tailgates before.  And you think I don't understand what a vicinity key fob is. :wtf:

:confused:  I own one.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV