Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

cawimmer430

German intro of Knight Rider. WHY SO DAMN SERIOUS!?  :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdnVioC3s
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Detailing a friend's Touareg today.  So interesting (but not terribly surprising) how it makes all the same sounds as my A4 did. The door lock chirp, the fuel pump priming, the door locks themselves sound the same, engine starter (though this is a V6), to whatever little solenoid thing clicks behind the gauges when you shut it off.

Brings back memories. Would be a great day for a drive in that A4. 60s, sunny, stick shift...ahhh. :cry:

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 31, 2020, 10:24:20 AM
Detailing a friend's Touareg today.  So interesting (but not terribly surprising) how it makes all the same sounds as my A4 did. The door lock chirp, the fuel pump priming, the door locks themselves sound the same, engine starter (though this is a V6), to whatever little solenoid thing clicks behind the gauges when you shut it off.

Brings back memories. Would be a great day for a drive in that A4. 60s, sunny, stick shift...ahhh. :cry:

You should have kept that car!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on May 31, 2020, 04:04:47 PM
You should have kept that car!

I needed to sell it to buy the Taco. I needed/wanted a truck and hardly ever look back on the decision. Just once in a while I get the pang for a drive in it on nice days.

Morris Minor

The roads in north Georgia are wonderful. Today I had a 15-mile run on a two-lane state highway. I was at the back of a convoy of four strangers: a 4th-gen CR-V in the lead, a guy on a motorcycle with his blonde bit of crumpet on the back, then an Escape, and me in the G37.  The CR-V was driven refreshingly briskly (up to 80 on a 55 road) and everyone else stayed with him: maintaining distance. keeping up, getting the sight lines right, anticipating hazards, nothing silly, no-one feeling any compulsion to overtake. It was just one of those weird happy pieces of luck with a disparate & unlikely group of vehicles. I wished we could have all pulled over and had a beer.

I never appreciated the G when I was living in town, but, away from the stoplights and queues of traffic, it's great, and loves to stretch its legs.

One niggle though, I'm noticing a tiny bit of waywardness and tramlining in the steering just either side of on-centre. Need to look at the tyres (20,000-miles-old) & geometry. It's difficult to describe but it does not feel quite planted.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

The G does feel great when driven quickly, but at regular speeds they feel a bit on the porcine side.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Very nice!! This last week traffic here went up 100% more congested. It was so nice driving to work without many other cars.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on May 31, 2020, 05:45:13 PM
The G does feel great when driven quickly, but at regular speeds they feel a bit on the porcine side.

What cars do you have now? Miata and a G? Did you get rid of that TSX wagon? I saw one today and was reminded that you had one at some point
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

I want a TSX wagon.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 31, 2020, 05:45:13 PM

The steering is too heavy at low speeds.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 31, 2020, 08:35:03 PM
What cars do you have now? Miata and a G? Did you get rid of that TSX wagon? I saw one today and was reminded that you had one at some point

Outback + Miata. TSX wagon was a lease. It was a really nice car, but in order to be a keeper, it needed a stickshift or V6+AWD. Outback is slow, but it's also big and useful.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on May 31, 2020, 08:41:49 PM
Outback + Miata. TSX wagon was a lease. It was a really nice car, but in order to be a keeper, it needed a stickshift or V6+AWD. Outback is slow, but it's also big and useful.

Upgrade to the 2020 XT turbo model!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 31, 2020, 08:43:30 PM
Upgrade to the 2020 XT turbo model!

Maybe. They'd have to tune up the rest of the car to match. The steering and chassis don't make you want to go fast. It wants you to take it easy, drive safely.

Eye of the Tiger

The only Soobaru Legacy to get is the 3.6L H6 with the 5-speed automagic.

Laconian

I've never been a big fan of the H6. Seems to be worst of all the Japanese six cyls no matter how you cut it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 31, 2020, 08:53:15 PM
I've never been a big fan of the H6. Seems to be worst of all the Japanese six cyls no matter how you cut it.

But isn't it the best Subaru engine?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 31, 2020, 09:46:00 PM
But isn't it the best Subaru engine?

Most powerful without terbow but they didn't even put it into the Ascent. Subaru has never been about power except the WRX/ STI...
Will

FoMoJo

For the car crazy environmentalist who loves off-roading...400-HP Electric Ford Bronco Is up for Grabs in Charity Raffle

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 01, 2020, 03:48:55 PM
For the car crazy environmentalist who loves off-roading...400-HP Electric Ford Bronco Is up for Grabs in Charity Raffle

I'm intrigued by the drivetrain!   Electric but with a 5speed? Is there a clutch? I wonder if it matters for range which gear you cruise in? or is it more efficient to just leave it in one gear?....   

:hmm:
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 02, 2020, 06:41:28 AM
I'm intrigued by the drivetrain!   Electric but with a 5speed? Is there a clutch? I wonder if it matters for range which gear you cruise in? or is it more efficient to just leave it in one gear?....   

:hmm:

I actually entered to win this.

Its an electric motor/inverter unit that's setup to bolt to standard SBS motor mounts and transmissions.

In most cases, its going to be fine just left in 3rd gear all the time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 02, 2020, 06:45:11 AM
I actually entered to win this.

Its an electric motor/inverter unit that's setup to bolt to standard SBS motor mounts and transmissions.

In most cases, its going to be fine just left in 3rd gear all the time.

But do you push in a clutch to change gears??...   Too cool.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 02, 2020, 06:45:41 AM
But do you push in a clutch to change gears??...   Too cool.

You do. Its a standard manual gearbox. You don't however, have to clutch to stop.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 02, 2020, 06:58:44 AM
You do. Its a standard manual gearbox. You don't however, have to clutch to stop.

Interesting, so you can leave it in gear even stopped?

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 02, 2020, 07:06:14 AM
It's an electric motor.  The car stops and the motor stops, I assume.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 02, 2020, 07:06:14 AM

No need to keep an electric motor idling. 

SJ_GTI

That is pretty cool. Gives me hope that we can someday get electric cars with manual transmissions.  :lol:

FoMoJo

Interesting...John Goodenough Made the Modern EV Possible

In 1980, at the University of Oxford, John B. Goodenough developed the lithium-cobalt-oxide cathode that enabled the widespread use of lithium-ion (LI) batteries. Today, LI batteries power products ranging from the MacBook Pro to the Tesla Model 3. If it weren't for Goodenough's insight, the electrification of the automobile as we know it may not have happened. And Elon Musk might be only vaguely known as that guy who had something or other to do with processing eBay payments.

The lithium-cobalt-oxide cathode is the positive side of the LI battery. Its use stabilizes the battery so it can withstand discharging and recharging with low risk of developing surface fractures, which can result in short circuits or, worse, fires. Goodenough's cathode essentially turned the LI battery into a viable commercial product. It's an idea worth billions, but Oxford didn't patent it, and Goodenough signed the rights over to the U.K.'s Atomic Energy Research Establishment.

Last year, explaining why he undertook the research, Goodenough told the University of Chicago Magazine, "I just knew it was something I should do." Since then, Goodenough has further refined his ideas and developed lithium-manganese-oxide and lithium-iron-phosphate cathodes. The former are found in many electric cars, whereas the latter are widely used in power tools.

In 2019, Goodenough, Japan's Akira Yoshino, and Britain's M. Stanley Whittingham were awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for their work developing the LI battery. Whittingham invented the first rechargeable LI battery while Yoshino added a carbon-based anode (the negative side) to further increase the LI battery's stability.

----->

Laconian

You'd need logic in the motor which would limit torque output when the clutch is disengaged. Otherwise you'd nuke the clutch every time.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 02, 2020, 12:47:36 PM
You'd need logic in the motor which would limit torque output when the clutch is disengaged. Otherwise you'd nuke the clutch every time.
Isn't there something like an accelerator pedal that you back off on when you disengaged the clutch.

MrH

I wonder if you could do the whole thing without a clutch at all.  Just logic to rev match the electric motors to the gear for each shift so it goes right into gear.

It would be like playing Cruis'n USA or something.  WOAAAH WOAH
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV