1/4-mile: 17.92 sec. @ 67.49 mph
Horsepower: 14.3 hp @ 6650 rpm
Torque: 11.7 ft.-lb. @ 5630 rpm
Top speed: 71 mph

Wow. Sick stats.

Speed_Racer

That fuel economy though

giant_mtb

Furreal.  I get 80+ mpg even while trail cruisin.  Have switched to reserve once...and even that still leaves me with .7 gallons, so another 60 miles easily if I don't go too hard on 'er.

Eye of the Tiger

CAFE will soon require everyone to ride CRF230Ls.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

Honest to God, with cell phones and incompetent cagers, it's hard to want to be a motorcyclist. maybe I'm just too old, but.....

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on December 22, 2018, 01:49:46 PM
Honest to God, with cell phones and incompetent cagers, it's hard to want to be a motorcyclist. maybe I'm just too old, but.....

That's partly why I enjoy riding off-road so much...don't have to worry about traffic at all.  Except on ORV trails with blind corners where you may encounter a side-by-side coming at you at the speed of sound.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on December 22, 2018, 01:49:46 PM

I've been almost killed enough times that I really don't want to risk it anymore. I'd be all about it if I lived completely away from civilization and idiot motorists. Hell, it's bad enough just trying to keep from getting killed in a compact car around here. People just do not give a fuck and do not have a clue how dangerous they are.

12,000 RPM

If I get on a bike again, it will be a track day rental

Especially now with my commute being 80% highway. My backroad days are over and even if they weren't I'd feel like a dick coming anywhere near track pace on the road. So then it just becomes tooling around with significantly more risk

Glad I rode but the bike is going away next tax season.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Speed_Racer

GF and I hit up a few shops yesterday while running errands to try on some bikes for size. No test rides, since it was below freezing and there was salt on the roads. I think the consensus is that with any bike, I may have to consider aftermarket seating so it's comfortable for both of us. 

- Explorer 1200 - Comfortable for me, felt taller and wider than the Tiger which I like for freeway rides. GF liked that some have heated rear seats, but found the narrowness of the rear seat a little uncomfortable.

- Tiger 800 - I found it a comfortable seating position. GF liked that it wasn't as big as the Tiger. Was average on rear seat comfort.

- R1200 GS/A - If money were no object, the GSA would be at the top of the list. The comfort seat on some was definitely not comfortable though. GF found the back alright, the seat wasn't as wide as she'd like. The combo of a large gas tank, wide front area, and taller ground clearance would nail it for the riding I do. But they're so darn expensive new and used.

- R1200 RT - The unexpected favorite for the GF as we were meandering the showroom. It has widest seat to support her hips and a comfortable hip/leg angle. It's slightly more aggressive for my seating position than the rest, but not sure if it would feel alright over long rides. I need to look into it some more. I do dirt roads occasionally so the street-focus and lower clearance may not work.

- VStrom 1000 - We were both a bit disappointed by it. It looks so good in the black/yellow/gold scheme though. They updated the seat to slope up at the front so my junk doesn't smash the tank, but the seat cushion has some odd angles that were uncomfortable for me. It was also quite firm. Not sure if it would loosen up over time/miles but I'd have to get a Sargent or something. For GF, they redesigned the passenger area from my gen VStrom. The seat isn't as flat and wide anymore and they brought the footpegs up a little so it made her feel much more cramped. It would require a rearset dropper for her at the very least.

So GF would rank them:
1. RT
2. GS/A
3. Explorer
4. Tiger
5. Vstrom

Side note, GF found the Van Van 200 and GU250X "cute" and small enough to flat-foot. She's wanted a Vespa for a while but maybe she'll make the jump into actual motos for zipping around town.

12,000 RPM

Corbin seat on my bike was a lifesaver. If I could go back in time I would have got an SV with a Corbin seat. I wrote it off because the Ninja was more comfy for pillions.... on paper. In reality the OEM seat was a nightmare for both of us.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Sounds like they're all on 450s. Seems to be the bare minimum/standard for snowbikes. Need dat powaaaaa.

What do most freestyle MX riders use? 250 2smokes?

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 15, 2019, 05:34:33 PM
Sounds like they're all on 450s. Seems to be the bare minimum/standard for snowbikes. Need dat powaaaaa.

What do most freestyle MX riders use? 250 2smokes?

I think a number of those guys switched to 450 thumpers.  2-strokes are getting rare.  I think Yamaha and KTM may be the only remaining manufacturers of full size 2-stroke MX bikes.  You still see them in the 80cc and under minibikes from all of the manufacturer's, but that's it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on January 16, 2019, 05:55:54 AM
I think a number of those guys switched to 450 thumpers.  2-strokes are getting rare.  I think Yamaha and KTM may be the only remaining manufacturers of full size 2-stroke MX bikes.  You still see them in the 80cc and under minibikes from all of the manufacturer's, but that's it.
I didn't realize big 2 Strokes were damn near extinct!  :confused:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 16, 2019, 09:51:26 AM
I didn't realize big 2 Strokes were damn near extinct!  :confused:

Middleweight 2 strokes are pretty popular in the enduro world, and they're fuel injected now like the 4 strokes (at least KTMs are, dunno about Yammerhaw).  I think the biggest 2stroke dirtbike you can buy today from a major manuf. is the KTM 300 XC enduro. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 16, 2019, 10:02:02 AM
Middleweight 2 strokes are pretty popular in the enduro world, and they're fuel injected now like the 4 strokes (at least KTMs are, dunno about Yammerhaw).  I think the biggest 2stroke dirtbike you can buy today from a major manuf. is the KTM 300 XC enduro. 
OK!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Speed_Racer

I checked and lot-rode a Super Tenere 1200 this afternoon and was surprised at how well it fit what I'm looking for. They can be found for a lot cheaper than used BMW GS models. It fit a lot like my VStrom, GF liked the passenger area a lot better. It's so far the best rated according to her - wide comfortable seat and enough vertical leg room that her hips aren't cramped. Engine was smooth and torquey but I didn't get above 25ish. It has a few more inches of ground clearance/susp travel than my V and shaft drive too. No cruise control until 2014 models though.

This example was a bit worn-looking for only having 9k miles, and had some janky aftermarket wiring done too so it was a no-go. But I'll keep my eyes open for more examples. I'd still like to find a Versys 1000 to see if it fits any better/worse, according to ergonomics charts it should be as comfortable as the Yamaha.

Speed_Racer

Here's what the insides of a Triumph look like. I did the 24k valve check last weekend plus fresh plugs and an air filter. There is quite a bit to take apart to reach them but the service manual was great help.
All valves were in spec luckily, so the camshafts didn't have to come out. Two valves are closer to the tight end of the acceptable range so I'll bring it in to a mechanic for the 36k check.

Eye of the Tiger

:wub: Does Triumph have a live webcam? :wub:

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 15, 2019, 01:06:30 PM
:wub: Does Triumph have a live webcam? :wub:

Hot singles triples in your area ready to mingle!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 15, 2019, 01:20:27 PM
Hot singles triples in your area ready to mingle!

Menage e trois?

giant_mtb

Fired up da dirtbike since I was cleaning the garage this evening, been sitting for ~4 months since I put 'er away.  Choke on, power on, fired right up.  Air-cooled Honda FTW. :rockon:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 05, 2019, 05:28:22 PM
Fired up da dirtbike since I was cleaning the garage this evening, been sitting for ~4 months since I put 'er away.  Choke on, power on, fired right up.  Air-cooled Honda FTW. :rockon:

Everything should have an air cooled Honda. I wish my GMC had an air cooled Honda.

Ride in snowe?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 05, 2019, 05:50:41 PM
Ride in snowe?

Nah.  Too much snow for that.  You need a Timbersled on a 450 to do anything useful here.  230L certainly doesn't have the power (~14hp) for such things.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 05, 2019, 05:55:27 PM
Nah.  Too much snow for that.  You need a Timbersled on a 450 to do anything useful here.  230L certainly doesn't have the power (~14hp) for such things.

Oh sorry. I'm from Maine.

Speed_Racer

Update:
Last weekend I went to take that blue Super Tenere for a longer test ride. I figured that since it was still unsold I may be able to get a big enough discount on it to offset the condition. But the test ride wasn't great. It had an intermittent check engine light at deceleration and corresponding fueling issues - surging and dead spots. And at 65 the engine transmitted a vibration through the handlebars that would have made my hands go numb on long rides. So a definite no to that.

There was an Explorer nearby that just had a price drop so I took my GF to get a second opinion from her. She found this one to be more comfortable than the brand new showroom version thankfully. For me, it was less heavy than I expected considering the weight and comments about how top heavy it is. It felt no worse than my Vstrom to be honest, but once you get under way it's smooth and effortless. Gotta love those triples.

It was due for a valve check so I negotiated that and agreed on a final price. It is already customized how I would have upgraded it - crash guards, risers, grips, fogs, luggage cases saving me $ down the road. One owner (older gent), 2013 with all recalls performed, 32k miles. I'll be picking it up tomorrow evening.  :ohyeah:

Time to list the VStrom!

Eye of the Tiger

List the VStrom!? :cry:

But dat Triumph is hot

Also that Toyota pickup is hot

Speed_Racer

The guy and his son have a garage full of goodies: dirt bikes, a snowmobile, a Rubicon, the Toyota