New Lamborghini Huracan EVO RWD Brings Back The Driving Fun

Started by cawimmer430, January 04, 2020, 07:59:06 AM

cawimmer430

New Lamborghini Huracan EVO RWD Brings Back The Driving Fun

A year on from the debut of the re-styled and re-engineered Huracan EVO and Lamborghini has officially presented a new rear-wheel drive derivative, aptly named the Huracan EVO Rear-Wheel Drive (RWD).

Not the dandiest of names, especially for an Italian supercar, but Lamborghini promises to "put the driver at the center of the driving experience", much like its predecessors, the 2009 Gallardo LP 550-2 that re-introduced RWD to Lamborghini's range after a decade or so, and the original Huracan before it.

"The Huracán EVO rear-wheel drive puts the car in the driver's hands: the driving experience is delivered by the hardware," says Lamborghini CEO, Stefano Domenicali. "This car reminds the driver of Lamborghini's pure engineering origins: the driver is at the center of the Huracán EVO RWD's performance, with unfiltered feedback and an emotive and more engaging driving experience controlled by the pilot."

Tell me about the powertrain

Power comes from a de-tuned version of the all-wheel drive Huracan EVO's, mid-mounted and Audi-built, 5.2-liter naturally-aspirated V10. It produces a slightly lower 602 HP (610 PS / 449 kW) at 8,000 rpm and 560 Nm (413 lb-ft) of torque at 6,500 rpm. That compares to the AWD model's 631 HP 9640 PS / 471 kW) and 600 Nm (443 lb-ft). As with the former, it's only available with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with launch control function.

However, less, sometimes means more, and by doing away with the standard car's four-wheel drive system as well as four-wheel steering and four-wheel torque vectoring systems, the RWD model drops 33 kg (73 lbs) weighing in at 1,389 kg (3,062 lbs) without fluids, versus the AWD car's 1,422 kg (3,135 lbs) dry weight.

As you may suspect, it also results in reduced traction making it a hair slower than the all-wheel drive Huracan requiring 0.4 sec more for the 0-62 mph (100km/h) sprint at 3.3 sec and 0.3 sec more for the 0-124 mph (200km/h) run at 9.3 sec. On the bright side, the RWD Huracan EVO maintains the same top speed of 202 mph (325 km/h) as the AWD version.

What else is different?

While slower than the Huracan EVO AWD, Lamborghini says the RWD car has been engineered to offer a more fun-to-drive (read less safe in inexperienced hands) experience in both dry and wet conditions. Much of that has been achieved through the new Performance Traction Control System (P-TCS) calibrated specifically for the rear-wheel drive EVO, delivering torque even when the car is realigning following drifting or side-slipping.

"Whereas a 'normal' traction control system delivers a sharp decoupling, waiting for a car to become completely stable before delivering torque again, the P-TCS car delivers torque in advance, avoiding a harsh torque cut and assuring better traction when exiting a corner," says Lamborghini.

The system offers three familiar driving modes selected through a steering wheel button, beginning with the more protective 'STRADA' that minimizes rear wheel slippage. Moving on to 'SPORT' allows for more slip and larger slide angles while 'CORSA' is calibrated to achieve the rear-wheel slip that optimizes the car's traction and agility when exiting a corner.

Lamborghini claims that the redesigned P-TCS improves smoothness of intervention by 30% compared to the previous Huracán RWD model, corner-exit traction by 20% and enhances oversteer by 30%.

The RWD model that has a front/rear weight distribution of 40/60 comes with steel springs and hydraulic dampers, but the "MagneRide" electromagnetic dampers are available as an option too.

How can you tell it apart from the AWD Huracan EVO?

The Italians made some minor design tweaks to differentiate it from the all-wheel drive coupe including a new front splitter, vertical fins within the larger, framed front air intakes, and a high-gloss rear bumper incorporating a new diffuser. The RWD model rides on 19-inch Kari rims wrapped in specially-developed Pirelli P Zero tires covering ventilated and cross-drilled steel brakes, while as an option, 20-inch rims and carbo-ceramic brakes are available.

Ok, so what will it cost me?

A well-equipped Alfa Romeo Stelvio less than the standard AWD Huracan EVO in the States, as prices for the RWD model start at $208,571 compared to the former's $261,274 MSRP. In the UK, the RWD Huracan EVO is listed at £137,000 or about £28,000 less than the AWD model.

First customer deliveries of the Huracan EVO RWD are set to begin in spring this year.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/new-lamborghini-huracan-evo-rwd-brings-back-the-driving-fun/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

A step in the right direction, but without a manual, I'm having a hard time getting excited about a car I still wouldn't buy even if I had the money.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AltinD

Come on Raza, give it a rest ... Manuals are pretty much dead

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on January 04, 2020, 10:44:06 AM
A step in the right direction, but without a manual, I'm having a hard time getting excited about a car I still wouldn't buy even if I had the money.
Pickings are getting slim for manual fans bro......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: AltinD on January 04, 2020, 03:00:14 PM

And I'm supposed to what?  Rejoice?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 04, 2020, 04:36:24 PM
Pickings are getting slim for manual fans bro......

Yeah they are.  Doesn't matter much, driving a car will be illegal in 20 years anyway.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Xer0

Ugh, I love it, but I need to be honest; I can not handle this car  :lol:

Payman

Quote from: AltinD on January 04, 2020, 03:00:14 PM

No, I'm still with Raza on this.  "the driver is at the center of the Huracán EVO RWD's performance, with unfiltered feedback and an emotive and more engaging driving experience controlled by the pilot." Bullshit. I'd rather a car that I can potentially get to 60 in 4 seconds, than a car that does it for me in 3. I'd rather have a pristine CPO manual Gallardo.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on January 05, 2020, 10:10:15 AM
No, I'm still with Raza on this.  "the driver is at the center of the Huracán EVO RWD's performance, with unfiltered feedback and an emotive and more engaging driving experience controlled by the pilot." Bullshit. I'd rather a car that I can potentially get to 60 in 4 seconds, than a car that does it for me in 3. I'd rather have a pristine CPO manual Gallardo.

I'm not even that fussed about the speed.  I'd rather be driving an older 911.  Give me an S4/340i xDrive and a 964 Cab, both in manual, and I'll be a happy driver for the rest of my life. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

I just don't see the point of way reduced performance (real world driving AWD is way better than just RWD) for just a little less money. The weight reduction is laughable with that much HP on tap.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 05, 2020, 07:24:40 PM
I just don't see the point of way reduced performance (real world driving AWD is way better than just RWD) for just a little less money. The weight reduction is laughable with that much HP on tap.

Yeah same
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 05, 2020, 07:24:40 PM

I think you have that backwards; Its a little reduced performance for way less money-this thing is something like 50K cheaper then the AWD version.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on January 06, 2020, 10:09:10 AM
Does price really matter at this price point?

You'd be amazed at how many wealthy people are penny pinchers.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Xer0 on January 06, 2020, 09:37:48 AM
I think you have that backwards; Its a little reduced performance for way less money-this thing is something like 50K cheaper then the AWD version.

Meh, the car is going to cost a ton to insure and maintain, a little bit cheaper at the start won't really mean much.

I occasionally accidentally spin tires in the 215hp minivan, no way would I not want AWD on something with this power.
Will

Xer0

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 06, 2020, 07:43:11 PM
Meh, the car is going to cost a ton to insure and maintain, a little bit cheaper at the start won't really mean much.

I occasionally accidentally spin tires in the 215hp minivan, no way would I not want AWD on something with this power.

What exactly is your argument here?  Again, its not a little cheaper, its a LOT cheaper (something like 20%) and its only a little slower not a lot slower like you're saying.  Costing a ton to insure and maintain is moot since it applies to both versions.

And your minivan spinning out its tires is irrelevant considering they aren't performance tires but probably some hard compound all seasons designed to go many miles fitted to a car with no aero on a suspension that doesn't care to maximize Gs.  McLaren has shown that you can get 750hp to the ground pretty good control without the the need for AWD.

Personally either car will kill me, but give me the RWD car every day.

Soup DeVille

Neither car should kill anyone. People have been driving modified cars with 500+ HP for years.  No traction control, no stability control, no ABS. Live rear axles, body-on-frame construction, recirc-ball steering.

You think a Huracan is somehow a desth trap because its RWD?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

I don't think anyone would buy this because it's cheaper than the AWD car it's based on.  That doesn't make any sense.  This is a supercar and the cost difference is small when talking about the total cost of ownership.  This is meant for the guys who actually race their Lambos and want a more engaging driver experience.  Like rich sons of Sheiks who want to let loose their Lambo on the streets of Saudi Arabia or London, England.

Soup DeVille

Basically if someone wants to spend less money and get Huracan level performance in a RWD package, they can buy a Corvette, along with the trailer to haul it tonthe track and the truck to pull it all for less money than this, and still have money left over for- another Corvette.

People buy Lamborghinis to impress.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Xer0

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 07, 2020, 06:14:44 AM

You think a Huracan is somehow a desth trap because its RWD?

How do you even jump to this conclusion? 

Soup DeVille

Xer0

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 07, 2020, 09:58:01 AM
"Personally, either car will kill me."

Yup, either, as in the AWD OR RWD car  :rolleyes:

Also right before the cherry picked line -  "McLaren has shown that you can get 750hp to the ground pretty good control without the the need for AWD."

So again, how the hell did you jump to that conclusion?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Xer0 on January 07, 2020, 10:03:43 AM
Yup, either, as in the AWD OR RWD car  :rolleyes:

Also right before the cherry picked line -  "McLaren has shown that you can get 750hp to the ground pretty good control without the the need for AWD."

So again, how the hell did you jump to that conclusion?

You're awfully defensive, man. Until your response, that comment wasn't even about you.

Xer0

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 07, 2020, 11:07:33 AM
You're awfully defensive, man. Until your response, that comment wasn't even about you.

Sure it wasn't, that's why you quoted back what I said to answer my question on how you reached that conclusion  ;)

I'm not defensive, you're just not making much sense this morning.  Honestly, I'm having a rough Tuesday too  :cheers:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Xer0 on January 07, 2020, 11:22:16 AM
Sure it wasn't, that's why you quoted back what I said to answer my question on how you reached that conclusion  ;)

I'm not defensive, you're just not making much sense this morning.  Honestly, I'm having a rough Tuesday too  :cheers:

No, it was about several people saying its too much for RWD, but when you spoke up, I pointed out your words- and yes, saying a car will kill you is pretty much the same as saying its a death trap. Because, no, it won't; and even with RWD only, this is safer than most performance cars ever made.

Xer0

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 07, 2020, 11:37:07 AM
No, it was about several people saying its too much for RWD, but when you spoke up, I pointed out your words- and yes, saying a car will kill you is pretty much the same as saying its a death trap. Because, no, it won't; and even with RWD only, this is safer than most performance cars ever made.

Dude stop.  My words were either, implying AWD or RWD, it doesn't mater.  Nothing about AWD saving you or RWD being unsafe.  Nothing about a deathtrap.  You're adding more and more pointless details about an argument I am not having for reasons that I have no clue.

SJ_GTI

Xer0

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 07, 2020, 11:51:37 AM
Why does Xero hate RWD? Does he hate America too?

I hate everything, especially Star Wars.