BMW M135i And Mercedes-AMG A35 Are Very Close In A Straight Line

Started by cawimmer430, January 06, 2020, 06:46:48 AM

cawimmer430

Can't get over how HIDEOUS the new 1er is.  :mask:

BMW M135i And Mercedes-AMG A35 Are Very Close In A Straight Line

The Mercedes-AMG A35 and BMW M135i xDrive are not the fastest hot hatches on the market, but they are two of the most enjoyable and well-rounded currently on sale. As this drag race video from Car Magazine over in South Africa shows, they are also very evenly matched in a straight-line.

Let's start with the A35 first, shall we? Like the all-conquering A45, it is powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder but has significantly less power, delivering 302 hp and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) of torque. Coupled to this engine is a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission sending power through all four wheels. In perfect conditions, Mercedes says the A35 is good for a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.7 seconds and a 155 mph (250 km/h) electronically limited top speed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YQq9YOP0qo

Similarly, the BMW M135i xDrive, introduced after the A35, also features a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with 302 hp and a touch more torque, 332 lb-ft (450 Nm) to be exact. It also features an all-wheel drive system and reaches 62 mph in a claimed 4.8 seconds as well as a 155 mph (250 km/h) top speed.

In the one and only drag race held between the two, both leaped off the line exceptionally quickly and the BMW established a slight lead. However, the A35 started to edge ahead and claimed victory by roughly a car length over the BMW when the duo crossed the quarter-mile mark.

Should neither the current M135i or A35 appeal to you, the previous-generation M135i might. Unlike the new car, it features a naturally-aspirated six-cylinder and has rear-wheel drive.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/bmw-m135i-and-mercedes-amg-a35-are-very-close-in-a-straight-line/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

It really is a shame how ugly the new 1 series is, the gran coupe being the biggest offender.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on January 06, 2020, 08:35:26 AM
It really is a shame how ugly the new 1 series is, the gran coupe being the biggest offender.

I kinda can tolerate the new 2er Gran Coupe, which with a slightly revised 1er front end looks "passable". I've seen a few around here and they don't offend me as much as the new 1er.

Today I was at a stop light and across to the left, at the other stop light, was a new 1er in gray with the M-Body kit. When the light turned green I glanced over at the 1er driver as he was about to pass me. He was eyeing my car and I got the impression he was thinking, "Damn, that A-Class AMG Line looks better than my car!" :lol:

Ok, that's fantasy thinking on my part.  :tounge:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Both cars are pretty ugly; the A class has an attractive shape (yours, Wimmer, looks great), but this model is overkitted and looks a bit like basmati.  The BMW's grille is way too small and should be four or five times bigger. 

Although, that's got to be one of the worst drag race videos I've ever seen.  Two cars with automatics drag racing with music dubbed over the engine noises as they roll to the finish line drama-free. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on January 07, 2020, 04:02:15 PM
Both cars are pretty ugly; the A class has an attractive shape (yours, Wimmer, looks great), but this model is overkitted and looks a bit like basmati.  The BMW's grille is way too small and should be four or five times bigger. 

Although, that's got to be one of the worst drag race videos I've ever seen.  Two cars with automatics drag racing with music dubbed over the engine noises as they roll to the finish line drama-free. 

I'm not gonna flip out if someone doesn't like the look of my car - relax.  :ohyeah:

The A35 AMG in the photo has the so-called Aero Package, which adds the large spoiler at the rear and the side deflector spoilers at the front among other additions.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Not a fan of the spoiler, but otherwise the A35 AMG is probably the best looking German hatchback on the market (I like it more than the A45 even). Probably the best looking hatchback period.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 09, 2020, 06:04:28 AM
Not a fan of the spoiler, but otherwise the A35 AMG is probably the best looking German hatchback on the market (I like it more than the A45 even). Probably the best looking hatchback period.

Agreed. Love the design of the new W177 A-Class. I may be biased...  :dance:

www.wimmerfotografie.de