New electric motor does away with gearboxes

Started by Laconian, August 10, 2019, 02:27:15 PM

Laconian

https://newatlas.com/linear-labs-hunstable-electric-motor/60974/

It sounds like it has an EV equivalent of VVT, where it can phase a subset of its four rotors to reduce the strength of the magnetic field. It trades torque for higher RPMs, which makes it possible for the motor to run in a direct drive configuration, with no need for a reduction gear. Low RPM acceleration is smoother too, since it can produce overlapping power that smooth out the otherwise loping torque curves.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

NomisR

EV has real gear boxes?  I thought it was just reversing the polarity.

Laconian

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on August 12, 2019, 08:19:43 PM
Yup, your Bolt has a 7:1 reduction gear.

Spark EV only has 3.87:1 gear, which makes the 327 lb-ft torque rating less impressive.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on August 10, 2019, 02:35:47 PM
EV has real gear boxes?  I thought it was just reversing the polarity.

Yes, but the losses from a simple reduction gear box are minimal. This motor seems to be a sort of compound-stator stepper motor (that is, there's a rotor with another stator inside it and a secondary rotor inside that "rotating stator," and that one's a multi-phase stepper motor instead of a permanent magnet DC motor.

Clever, but I wonder when all the numbers are crunched, how much better it really is than a modern AC stepper
motor and reduction gearbox
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

afty

Morris Minor

Can someone explain to this non-electrical engineer the basics of the no-DC-DC-converter-thingy-needed reference?
My understanding was that in EVs, DC battery power is goes through an inverter to give some representation of sine wave-type juice to the AC traction motors.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Laconian

Quote from: afty on August 13, 2019, 08:31:42 PM
The Taycan will have a 2-speed gearbox.

It seems like a mandatory bit of kit for an Autobahn stormer. That's a very wide range of speeds.